Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Didn't you apply for radiography deferred entry this year? How did that go?
    I did indeed took a gamble and went through extra but got rejected by Sheffield Hallam and I'm now awaiting a decision from Liverpool but I'm not expecting anything. At least I know I tried lol. I'll just apply in the autumn for 2006 entry, and by then I'll have my predictions (a C in biology instead of the D I had this year) and hopefully some work experience behind me so I should get some offers

Are you still applying for languages?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine Even if law isn't as respected as traditional subjects, it's definitely not in the same league as media studies etc, and having one slightly less respected subject shouldn't do you any harm. At least I hope not, since I'm in the same position with sociology!
    As sociology is offered by Cambridge as a degree course it can't be that "mickey mouse" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    I did indeed took a gamble and went through extra but got rejected by Sheffield Hallam and I'm now awaiting a decision from Liverpool but I'm not expecting anything. At least I know I tried lol. I'll just apply in the autumn for 2006 entry, and by then I'll have my predictions (a C in biology instead of the D I had this year) and hopefully some work experience behind me so I should get some offers

Are you still applying for languages?
    Well, good luck with Liverpool anyway. You never know, you might get an offer, but there was no harm in trying

Yep, French and Spanish. I've decided to do a GCSE in Spanish by distance learning next year, so that should hopefully boost my application, as well as all the reading I'm planning to do over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Well, good luck with Liverpool anyway. You never know, you might get an offer, but there was no harm in trying

Yep, French and Spanish. I've decided to do a GCSE in Spanish by distance learning next year, so that should hopefully boost my application, as well as all the reading I'm planning to do over the summer.
    Try doing it with the Adult Education service in your area - it would be free as you'll be under 18 when the course starts

ReputationRep:
    this poll is a bit biast by saying "do you agree.."
    :p:
    Random

ReputationRep:
    *biased

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't really comment for A Level - but at Scottish Higher, all subjects are apparantly considered equal. And I think Accounting and Finance is the only subject in which I'll get lower than an A.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon subjects are only discriminated against if they're not relevent to the course you apply for... if you want to do psychology / sociology / media uni courses then do the A-level! If, on the other hand you want to do physics at uni then do maths and further maths, not English and AS Art (what i did and was swiftly rejected from Oxford).

On art: I am, in the words of my teacher 'not the most naturally talented or technically proficient student' but i still got a good A at AS cos i put hell-loads of work in and did loads of art history to beef up the marks lost in the accuracy of drawing column.

apart from art then, i dont think that any A-levels are harder or easier or discriminated against. I reckon sciences need more teaching time, and some essay could be bulked up a bit with more topics / dicussion, each subject takes you up to 'advanced level' in that subject so you cant compare

Of course being a physicist, I discriminate freely against sociology, eng lit, cultural studies, media - in the words of Bart, I could do that but i dont want to. (maybe)

ReputationRep:
    I reckon subjects are only discriminated against if they're not relevent to the course you apply for... if you want to do psychology / sociology / media uni courses then do the A-level! If, on the other hand you want to do physics at uni then do maths and further maths, not English and AS Art (what i did and was swiftly rejected from Oxford).

On art: I am, in the words of my teacher 'not the most naturally talented or technically proficient student' but i still got a good A at AS cos i put hell-loads of work in and did loads of art history to beef up the marks lost in the accuracy of drawing column.

apart from art then, i dont think that any A-levels are harder or easier or discriminated against. I reckon sciences need more teaching time, and some essay could be bulked up a bit with more topics / dicussion, each subject takes you up to 'advanced level' in that subject so you cant compare

Of course being a physicist, I discriminate freely against sociology, eng lit, cultural studies, media - in the words of Bart, I could do that but i dont want to. but i dont think uni people care about the subjects you do as long as they're relevent to the course you apply for. If the relevence isnt obious then make the links for them in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodingerscat)

Of course being a physicist, I discriminate freely against sociology, eng lit, cultural studies, media - in the words of Bart, I could do that but i dont want to. but i dont think uni people care about the subjects you do as long as they're relevent to the course you apply for. If the relevence isnt obious then make the links for them in your personal statement.
    Not true, subjects like physics/chemistry/biology is irrelevant for courses such as law/economics. At G5 universities [oxbridge/ucl/imperial/lse] you would find it extremely difficult to get into these competitive courses with media/film studies as they are just as irrelevant with more respected subjects such as Chemistry/Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    GCSE English Language is a load of crap in my opinion; but I have it from many reliable sources that English language at AS and A2 level is *completely* different - and studying the textbook myself, I agreed.

GCSE English is enough to put you off poetry and language for life unless you read outside the syllabus and realise how much more there is to it
    i agrre with that. i didnt choose english at college because i found my gcse education interesting. i knew that college education would be different, and it is my best, and favourtite subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Try doing it with the Adult Education service in your area - it would be free as you'll be under 18 when the course starts
    We do have an Adult Education College, but they don't accept under-18s :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodingerscat)
    is english lit considered mickey mouse?????? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella19)
    No not at all - I think he was either joking&being tongue in cheek or being idiotic

Media is widely regarded as being a "doss" - personally I wouldn't comment though as I've never done it, and in my experience with GCSEs the ones considered the easiest are often the most difficult for some people. English Literature is an extremely well respected subject

ReputationRep:
    We do have an Adult Education College, but they don't accept under-18s :mad:
    :eek: how rude! That's a shame as the Adult Ed service in Norfolk is really good Good luck with it though, maybe get a Spanish email buddy to help with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella19)
    As it's offered by oxbridge and all the good uni's I very much doubt it :p:

ReputationRep:
    everything apart from maths and science based courses are mickey mouse tee hee. i say this simply because the subjects with lower number of A's is maths and sciences, and most A's are handed out in home economics and such. plus im a scientist so i have to say it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tktaylor6)
    everything apart from maths and science based courses are mickey mouse tee hee. i say this simply because the subjects with lower number of A's is maths and sciences, and most A's are handed out in home economics and such. plus im a scientist so i have to say it lol
    Sorry to be completely blunt, but that's ********! The number of A's handed out for each subject can't be used as an indicator of how difficult it is. There are a number of possible factors as to why certain subjects get a lower number of A's. Perhaps the teaching of these subjects needs to be improved (I know my school's chemistry department could really do with an overhaul), for example.

The fact is, 'difficulty' is subjective. I personally found A2 chemistry to be a struggle, whereas my boyfriend did no revision at all and got an A. On the flip side, I find psychology much easier than chemistry, but my boyfriend would most likely get a C at best due to his inability to write an essay.

Besides, English Literature and modern languages (to name just two) are highly regarded by universities despite being arts, not sciences. So sciences aren't the be all and end all of academic, 'serious' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    but lets be honest the only subjects that really require a university to extend the students ability is sciences etc, artists can paint anywhere and get insperation from tutors online, english can get reading lists etc, scientists finally get labs. a english or history student could become better at essays by simply having an email adress of a tutor for 3-4 years. science and maths degrees are only useful ones anyway. we push the bar research new things make sure you dont die, make sure you have hot water land on the moon etc. english students well...they can erm...argue well...heavens we need more english students!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how narrow-minded you are. However, I have to go offline now so I'll reply properly later :rolleyes:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.