The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
This art vs. science argument puts me in mind of the classic essay 'The Two Cultures' by CP Snow. It's not long, so I suggest everyone reads it. :wink:

http://info.med.yale.edu/therarad/summers/snow.htm
Reply 101
to have books tho does not mean we need english studies dont be silly
Reply 102
tktaylor6
to have books tho does not mean we need english studies dont be silly

Not all english students end up in a career relating to the subject.
Gaz031MoleyMoleyMoley
Sorry but I have to disagree a little there.
Calculus is pure maths which we will rigorously study at university yet it has many many extremely important applications.
Without analysis how can we properly understand things like calculus enough in order to use it?
At the minute neither of us understand calculus (particularly integration) properly and so would not be able to apply it effectively.

I understand what you are saying, but I maintain it is not absolutely directly useful, though indirectly it is indispensible. What I mean is things like calculus have no set application, they are open to all uses, not just finding the acceleration of a pineapple
What is thought of geography? It is a traditional subject, but it if often sneered at (colouring in subject etc.) - so what do unis think of it?
Reply 105
Final_F
What is thought of geography? It is a traditional subject, but it if often sneered at (colouring in subject etc.) - so what do unis think of it?

I think Unis respect it.
Final_F

I've always regarded Geography quite highly, and universities also seem to. Some friends of mine who did A Level Geography have offers from universities such as Durham and York for all sorts of subjects.

Actually.. I admire anyone who does Geography, I was completely and utterly rubbish at it! Anyone who can stick with it through to A Level deserves respect! :p:
Yeah, I always thought geography doesn't get enough respect. It coves a wide range of skills (both sciency with teh physical and essay with the human).

Cool, well thanks!
Reply 108
Hey, don't look down on geography! Although I didn't do geography at 'A' level, I did it at 'O' level (GCSE for you) and had an absolutely brilliant geography teacher. And it's certainly more than just colouring. It's divided into physical and human geography for my syllabus then, and we studied things ranging from the intricate processes of weathering to earthquakes and to the development model of countries. It's certainly very useful to know as general knowledge in later life.
Reply 109
tktaylor6
your right your ignorance did make me laugh some more also your hypocrisy but oh well. and yea a communist society dont we all agree agree with the ideals of it?

What a great argument for your case. Are you going to elaborate on what makes me an ignorant hypocrite, or are you just going to throw around the insults with nothing to back them up? Because at the moment, I can't imagine that anyone would take you seriously.
Reply 110
I think Geography is in no way a "studies" subject. My friends do love the colouring in, but they are also amongst the cleverest people I know, often very political. Anyway, respect to them. At GCSE we had a plan to have badges made saying "I survived geography coursework". Anyone who can go through that twice deserves a medal, not an a level.
Reply 111
KAISER_MOLE
I understand what you are saying, but I maintain it is not absolutely directly useful, though indirectly it is indispensible. What I mean is things like calculus have no set application, they are open to all uses, not just finding the acceleration of a pineapple

I don't understand... Why isn't calculus absolutely directly useful?

'The development and use of calculus has had wide reaching effects on nearly all areas of modern living. It underlies nearly all of the sciences, especially physics. Virtually all modern developments such as building techniques, aviation, and other technologies make fundamental use of calculus. Many algebraic formulas now used for ballistics, heating and cooling, and other practical sciences were worked out through the use of calculus. In a handbook, an algebraic formula based on calculus methods may be applied without knowing its origins.

The success of calculus has been extended over time to differential equations, vector calculus, calculus of variations, complex analysis, and differential topology.'

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus#Applications
Reply 112
Final_F

It's definately respected, but maybe only because of the willpower required to stick through the boredom of the course :wink: (sorry that was harsh but I've been put off geography for life by a certain teacher)
Gaz031
I don't understand... Why isn't calculus absolutely directly useful?

Much just be the way we recognize the word 'directly' ...for me, vocational subjects directly help, academic subjects indirectly help.

My argument should be helped by the fact all of what you posted agrees with the statement 'things like calculus have no set applications' ...if it underlies everything, it is not on the cover blatant, hence for me, indirect
I never really understood why subjects like Business Studies and Psychology are so disrespected. Surely in today's society, where we are there is more interest in our psychological make-up, hence 'The Century of The Self' that these subjects are more required and therefore, demand more respect?
Further, with advancing technology and increasing globalisation this just increases the need to do business around the world, which is indeed turning into a 'Global Village'?

I did A-Levels in Business Studies, Communication Studies and English Literature and hell, sometimes Business and Communications can be so much harder than English! Or maybe it's because I'm totally thick.

I had applied to good universities such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Keele for English Literature with these subjects and they had all given me an offer. To an extent, doesn't that demonstrate that they do respect them?
Reply 115
x-Jo-x
I never really understood why subjects like Business Studies and Psychology are so disrespected. Surely in today's society, where we are there is more interest in our psychological make-up, hence 'The Century of The Self' that these subjects are more required and therefore, demand more respect?
Further, with advancing technology and increasing globalisation this just increases the need to do business around the world, which is indeed turning into a 'Global Village'?

I did A-Levels in Business Studies, Communication Studies and English Literature and hell, sometimes Business and Communications can be so much harder than English! Or maybe it's because I'm totally thick.

I had applied to good universities such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Keele for English Literature with these subjects and they had all given me an offer. To an extent, doesn't that demonstrate that they do respect them?

Well said :smile: at the end of the day as long as you get good grades that's all that really matters.
...And a passion for them!!
i did history, geography and physics for a-level

geography by a long way is not colouring in!!!!!!!!!
History - some people have said to me it cant be that hard - obviously never done it at a-level then

and physics was just hell partly coz im not that good at it and my teacher was absolute crap

however, my friends did communication studies to which I was a bit "hmmm ok then" and they wondered why they got rejected from unis such as York and Bristol
On the outset, yes, I agree Communication Studies may be a 'mickey mouse' subject. Hell, all my cousins thought I got full marks in my AS in picking up the phone!! But bloody hell, it was difficult!
It's psychology, sociology, philosophy all mixed into one, so many theories, models, quotations to learn - it's insane. All the things I learnt had bits of everything in it: History, English, even Science!!

I hate all those ignorant people who say some 'fashionable' subjects are full of crap and mean nothing when they don't know what it involves.
x-Jo-x
I hate all those ignorant people who say some 'fashionable' subjects are full of crap and mean nothing when they don't know what it involves.

Agreed- they all seem to follow the mindset that if it's new, it must automatically be easy, which is rubbish.

Latest