Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Out of these subjects, which one do you think requires less work? (and i mean less work, nothing to do with level of intelligence)

- English Lit
    - English Lang
    - psychology
    - Music
    - Art

ReputationRep:
    I'd say English Language

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to her

ReputationRep:
    actually, can u put them in order? With the least work required at the top.

ReputationRep:
    him*

ReputationRep:
    ah ignore my last 2 comments

ReputationRep:
    Eng Lang,
    Eng Lit
    Music
    Psychology
    Art

ReputationRep:
    The only people able to say would be people who have taken all 5.

However, I've just finished AQA spec. A A2 Psychology, and I can tell you a little bit about it. I found the AS quite..well, not easy, but I didn't do a great deal of work for it. That's not to say the work wasn't there to do, I was just lazy. Although I did get a B, I must have been lucky! I didn't start revising for it until 3pm the day before, and it was a morning exam!

The A2 is a lot different though, and there's a lot more work. In fact, I had more to revise for psychology than I did for chemistry and biology. It really isn't the 'doss' people make it out to be. Despite being quite simple conceptually, it makes up for it through the sheer volume of work. The most important thing is just to learn it all as you go along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grave_dreams)
    Out of these subjects, which one do you think requires less work? (and i mean less work, nothing to do with level of intelligence)

- English Lit
    - English Lang
    - psychology
    - Music
    - Art
    this one i think...art is the most time consuming by far!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say English lang would be the least work, then English lit, then psychology, then music and art would be the most work. That's purely speculation though as the only one of those subjects I do is English lit. May I ask why you want to do a subject with the least work involved though? Surely the most important thing is choosing subjects you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    i'm having problems deciding my fourth subject, i like every one (on the list) more or less equally so i thought i'll go for the one that requires the least work as my other three subjects is quite time- comsuming. i'll probably go for english Lit, i've been told english lang is less work but i'll prob go for english lit anyway, as i think it's the second.

ReputationRep:
    i'm having problems deciding my fourth subject, i like every one (on the list) more or less equally so i thought i'll go for the one that requires the least work as my other three subjects is quite time- comsuming. i'll probably go for english Lit, i've been told english lang is less work but i'll prob go for english lit anyway, as i think it's the second.
    English lit is more respected anyway, although that doesn't really matter unless you want to do English at university, but there's no point doing language if you don't enjoy it. What are your other 3 subjects, out of interest?

ReputationRep:

- English Lit
    - English Lang
    - psychology
    - Music
    - Art
    definitely not art - art is almost entirely coursework

i've not taken music, psychology or english lang so i can't comment on those, but, depending on how good your memory is (or how good you are at ********ting) english lit might not take that much work. you can't revise specifically for it, other than learning quotes for closed text exams, and you can never predict questions in exams. all you can do is read the book and try your best to understand what's going on, then use what you know.

of course, if you hate reading and are crap at critical analysis, then english lit is the last subject you want to be taking. so i suppose it all depends on your abilities and what you're best at. any subject that you are good at will take less work than a subject that you are bad at.

ReputationRep:
    - - psychology
    English Lang
    -English Lit

- Music
    - Art

but thats just giong by friends who have taken them subjects

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I don't think half the suggestions above can be taken seriously as not everyone will do those 5 subjects to be able to compare them. So out of the subjects you have mentioned I have only done psychology and it has a lot of work compared to my other 3 subjects (chemistry, biology, economics and business), in fact it has the most. Compared to the other subjects you have mentioned, I just can't make assumptions on the amount of work other subjects have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    English lit is more respected anyway, although that doesn't really matter unless you want to do English at university, but there's no point doing language if you don't enjoy it. What are your other 3 subjects, out of interest?
    i enjoy (and are more or less equally good at) all the subjects on the list though, so i think what's important is to choose the ones that require less work.
    My other 3 subjects are Maths, biology, Chemistry and i'll probably go for Furthur maths as well. i probably won't do art and music as it is v. time- comsuming and i do music outside school anyway.
    I'm thinking to do one of the english, i enjoy reading, poetry etc. but my favourite thing in english is origional writing, which i know you do in Language, but i hate persuasive/ argumentative writing (non- fiction stuff) so i don't know.
    i probably do english lit because i suppose studying literature can improve my writing styles as well plus i can just read and not write non- fiction... i just need to know a bit more about it.

ReputationRep:
    i enjoy (and are more or less equally good at) all the subjects on the list though, so i think what's important is to choose the ones that require less work.
    My other 3 subjects are Maths, biology, Chemistry and i'll probably go for Furthur maths as well. i probably won't do art and music as it is v. time- comsuming and i do music outside school anyway.
    I'm thinking to do one of the english, i enjoy reading, poetry etc. but my favourite thing in english is origional writing, which i know you do in Language, but i hate persuasive/ argumentative writing (non- fiction stuff) so i don't know.
    i probably do english lit because i suppose studying literature can improve my writing styles as well plus i can just read and not write non- fiction... i just need to know a bit more about it.
    I think you only get to do creative writing in AS English language and even then it's only one tiny part of it. It probably depends on the exam board as well. English language seems to be mostly about speech patterns and acquiring language, plus I think you have to do a personal study. If you have a look through the 3 threads asking about whether language or literature is better, it should give you an idea of what each actually involves. Either would be a good contrasting subject with the sciences though.

ReputationRep:
    i thought there were 4 pieces of coursework for as english language?

ReputationRep:
    Music! If you play to a good standard then you have a third of the A level in the bag; if you can add to that good compositional skills you can add another third. Finally, if you can scrape just over 66% on the written paper, that will get you an A for that module.

In my school nearly everyone who does music gets an A, because so much of the skills needed are ones that good musicians already have!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.