Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wondering cos my current account at the moment has a visa electron debit card which isnt accepted by a lot of online places, same with solo.

do the student accounts have visa/mastercard/switch debit cards?

ReputationRep:
    they'll have either visa delta or maestro (switch).

Visa and Mastercard are credit cards.

ReputationRep:
    Some banks don't allow you to have visa delta or switch until you're 18, which is probably why you don't have one now. Even if you are 18 you would need to apply again for an account with that card. Student bank accounts will have these cards as students tend to be over 18 when applying for them. xx

ReputationRep:
    i got a abbey debit - does the job perfectly...and no interest charged:cool: - wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone

ReputationRep:
    I have a Visa Debit, it's not an Electron which makes it a hell of a lot more useful. From Barclays.

ReputationRep:
    You can't use electron on virgin trains which is quite annoying.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC and NatWest give out Switch/Maestro. I think the Halifax do Visa Debit (Delta as it was) now.

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds TSB provide Visa debit cards

ReputationRep:
    RBS give out Maestro (Swtich) cards.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest can be a bit annoying when it comes to cards. I have been with them since I was 11 and opened my second account when I started working at 16. Because I kept the other account open I asked to have a Switch instead of a Solo because it made it easier telling the cards apart however they gave me another Solo.

Also, most students I have serve at work with Natwest cards, have had Solo not Switch. Some do have Switch though so it beats me why some have solo.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your replies - thats really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    they'll have either visa delta or maestro (switch).

Visa and Mastercard are credit cards.
    i have a visa debit card, AND a visa credit card.

It's not a student account though, just a current account.

ReputationRep:
    Currently in the middle of making a list of student accounts its only about half finished but it says what cards you get on a few accounts.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why anyone bothers with Electron. It's complete rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Natwest can be a bit annoying when it comes to cards. I have been with them since I was 11 and opened my second account when I started working at 16. Because I kept the other account open I asked to have a Switch instead of a Solo because it made it easier telling the cards apart however they gave me another Solo.

Also, most students I have serve at work with Natwest cards, have had Solo not Switch. Some do have Switch though so it beats me why some have solo.
    LOL that's so random, I have a NatWest Switch on my student account but it doesn't have an overdraft on that account or anything. I must just be a golden customer

ReputationRep:
    my student account with natwest i have a switch, can easily get a credit card if you want one, ( not me!) and i also have a 1200 over draft limit

ReputationRep:
    I have a MasterCard debit! Ha ha!! I live in Mexico, and my bank, Banamex Citibank, offers this "Cuenta Básica" for anybody between 12 and 23 years old. It supposedly yields interest, but it's absolutely meager, allows me to pay on any Internet website as a credit card, and even is processed as credit at the UK and US. But it's debit!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.