Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Was Lord of the Rings the rightful winner? Do you think Pride and Prejudice should have won or perhaps Dark Matter? Or are you more into War and Peace?

Personally, I think Lord of the rings was a fantastic undertaking - masterful narrative, description, character building, suspense etc. whilst every detail such as the creation of a whole culture, was looked at

ReputationRep:
    never read it

I think the best on there was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but the only other top-5 one I've read was Harry Potter so that means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I think the top 5 was a joke, except LOTR and H2G2.

ReputationRep:
    War and Peace or Lord of the Flies should have won. At least in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    For some very strange reason, I have never liked LOTR that much. I have tried on many occasions to read the books, but I just can't get into them. I am SOOO happy His Dark Materials got to number 3. It should have been number 1, but coming third is nothing to be disappointed about!

Philip Pullman is my God.

ReputationRep:
    wuthering heights should of won or 1984.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    For some very strange reason, I have never liked LOTR that much. I have tried on many occasions to read the books, but I just can't get into them. I am SOOO happy His Dark Materials got to number 3. It should have been number 1, but coming third is nothing to be disappointed about!

Philip Pullman is my God.
    i pretty much agree. i've never managed to read the LOTR, i liked the films, but can't get into the book (I didn't even like the hobbit)... i'm so glad his dark mateerials did so well considering how little-known it is in comparison to the 'classics' on the list.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I think the top 5 was a joke, except LOTR and H2G2.
    War and Peace would have never won even though it is a piece of art yet, still not very well received - it is too long really. I kinda like the underlying message in Lord of the Flies i.e the cliches of good vs evil and the notion of Simon being the Messiah plus the whole issue of 'the loss of innocence'...I still don't think it is a winner though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i pretty much agree. i've never managed to read the LOTR, i liked the films, but can't get into the book (I didn't even like the hobbit)... i'm so glad his dark mateerials did so well considering how little-known it is in comparison to the 'classics' on the list.

lou xxx
    I personally haven't read his dark materials (dark matter :rolleyes: ) but looks interesting all the same

ReputationRep:
    Personally I love LOTR, both books and film, but since the Big Read was a poll to find the most popular book surely there is no book that 'should' have won? Although I'm willing to bet that most of the people who voted for LOTR never read the book and were just voting on the basis of the films - wrong :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I loved lord of the rings...would have been in my top 5 probably, behind catch22 as winner, then maybe 1984, great expectations, and farewell to arms. I have about 20 pages to go from pride and prejudice and in my opinion is the most overrated book on the top21 list.

I think this is a good poll to have. But have you noticed an attitude which is emerging from those in, shall we say, the literary world (snobs!), that lotr (presumably because a)its become really popular amongst normal non-readers and b) they dont get it) has less literary merit to it than other books?
    I must disagree, its a simple book yes, and written so as to make it easily readable, but its a fascinating story at the same time, a book impossible to put down and tolkien never claimed that it was an intelligent, literary masterpiece but just wonderfully tense and excting good v evil story.

ReputationRep:
    have just read madnatsci's response - yes, the film would have influneced a lot of people, but it has sold over 100mn copies worldwide before the film was released

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)

lou xxx
    i quite agree. modern classics, the dark materials are.

ReputationRep:
    what did you find wrong with pride and predjudice, nero?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    have just read madnatsci's response - yes, the film would have influneced a lot of people, but it has sold over 100mn copies worldwide before the film was released
    yes; and lotr was the first real fantasy series- actually the first real fantasy books in general. they set the bar high to begin with and have kept it up since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    yes; and lotr was the first real fantasy series- actually the first real fantasy books in general. they set the bar high to begin with and have kept it up since

No arguments about the merits of lotr - it's a fantastic story! I love the lengths he went to in order to make the world so real and for me, it worked brilliantly. It's purely that the cynic in me wonders how many people really did read the books - but yes, nero076, I suppose the sales figures before the films came out do show that they ARE quite popular!

ReputationRep:
    pride and prejudice I have enjoyed reading but nowhere near as much as i did, say, great expectations or olver twist. I enjoyed the opening few chapters, thought it was very accessable - most books i've read it takes maybe 20 pages to get into, but p and p i was immediately. And i loved it up until darcy's marriage proposal. Then after that it focuses on wickham/lydia, and as you cant feel any sympathy for lydia its a rather boring relationship in my opinion. It is picking up towards the end, so glad i read it. I just think theres books i've enjoyed more which werent even in top100 - farewell to arms is one, to the lighthouse another

ReputationRep:
    I think the books in the top three were there because critics said they were - they had successful and popular films and tv series' - that's the only reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    Was Lord of the Rings the rightful winner? Do you think Pride and Prejudice should have won or perhaps Dark Matter? Or are you more into War and Peace?

Personally, I think Lord of the rings was a fantastic undertaking - masterful narrative, description, character building, suspense etc. whilst every detail such as the creation of a whole culture, was looked at
    wots the second LOTR about

ReputationRep:
    but dont a lot of literary critics pan lord of the rings for being childish and pointless?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.