Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

i wunna study medicine in uni, and i need to write a killer personal statement, so that i stand out from the rest.

wut shud i include

i do bio and chem for a-levels btw

ReputationRep:
    "I'm so uncreative and disinterested in my subject I asked people I'd never met to tell me what to write on my PS online"

That'll definitely make you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazipops)

i do bio and chem for a-levels btw
    I think you need at least 3 A Levels for medicine...

ReputationRep:
    no u dnt

im pretty sure its just bio and chem as specifics, then one of ur choice
    newy wut kinda stuff do they luk for in PS?

ReputationRep:
    Play to your strengths tell them anything and everything about yourself that might help you when i did mine my first choice uni didn't have aplace for me on the course i applied for (BEd Early years) but after studying my personal statement they phoned and asked if i'd be interested in a slightly different course (BEd Music) so i said ok and have now got a place on that. Being medicine it may not work like that for you but you never know.

Include extra curricular activities, hobbies, social activities anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    and the interview, do i need to know any medicine info?

if so, wut do i read-mags, journals etc...?

ReputationRep:
    no u dnt

Ahhh..the chat speak hurts

ReputationRep:
    First of all, write in proper english. Second, get a job attachment at the local hospital. I bet that'll help. Plus, reinforce your A level bio plus do read medical journals if you can.

I recommend a few textbooks that are quite good, Martini "Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology" and probably Guyton and Hall if you want to brush up on your medicine knowledge. Well, it's really up to you how passionate you are about your subject matter and how much effort you want to put in so that you'll get into medical school.

ReputationRep:
    no u dnt

I didn't say 3 specific a levels, the first post implied that only bio and chem were being taken.

What is the 3rd subject?

ReputationRep:
    My friend wants to take medicine. She does chem, phys, biology and french a-levels.

She has been volunteering at a hospital for the last few months, volunteered at oxfam for a few weeks, and has taken positions of responsibility at school. She's also doing seminars and things, as well as being part of the science-lecture club. So yeah, that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    work experience is ultimately the most important thing!!! My mate who's just finished her first year at UCL worked at a dentists every thurs afternoon for 2terms at school, did various weeks of work experience at General Hospital (different wards etc), helped a bit at GPs and a care home. Reading books and stuff is all very well for showing interest for other subjects, but medicine is a hands on subject and less you can show you've really had a taste of what it's like to be a doctor they won't even bother looking at your application. You need plenty of work experience (almost all of which should have been done before you apply and by the sounds of it you haven't done any - most people do it in their first year of 6th form or others already before that - when I was planning to do vet med I started helping out at local vets when I was 11!!!) and on top of that reasonably strong grades in bio/chem for most medical schools and then a third one from physics/maths....the exact requirements vary depending on whether you're trying to apply somewhere like Oxbridge or somewhere like Queen Mary's etc!

ReputationRep:
    and the interview, do i need to know any medicine info?

if so, wut do i read-mags, journals etc...?
    Yeah - have a basic knowledge of recent scientific advances. They could simply ask you what you have read about recently that interested you - it's very hard to blag questions like that. They are also obsessed with morality and ethics and decisions a doctor must make.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.