Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone staying at home for Uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be the only one of my group of friends. I just wondered if others have decided to as well.

My main basis for staying at home is that I can avoid debt.

If there's another thread already talking about this, could you please give me the link?

ReputationRep:
    nope but my mate did... then dropped out after a term because he couldnt get accommodation and his life was boring and isolated.

Living at uni is better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by se77en)
    nope but my mate did... then dropped out after a term because he couldnt get accommodation and his life was boring and isolated.

Living at uni is better
    :ditto:

my thought exactally...

ReputationRep:
    you might miss out on debt... but youll miss out on a huge chunk of uni...... not all uni is academia... i want to go for the social side... living away from parents and with new mates

ReputationRep:
    I'm living at home, because of the debt and i have no desire at all for the social side of uni. I just want to get on with my work really, i'll still have a good social life at home.

ReputationRep:
    hehe wow you sound like great fun! i probably wouldnt want to live with you anyway actually..

ReputationRep:
    Ive been given an offer at QMUL which is in east london, i have applied to live out, but bcoz i live so close to the uni (i live in west london which is about an hour away by tube) i might not be given a place, but ppl livning further away will have obvious priority over me
    So I might not be living out....hooray?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by islasmila)
    I'm living at home, because of the debt and i have no desire at all for the social side of uni. I just want to get on with my work really, i'll still have a good social life at home.
    sounds just like me to be honest!! I know someone is who living at home and is at the uni i'll be going to, - she loves it

ReputationRep:
    hehe wow you sound like great fun! i probably wouldnt want to live with you anyway actually..
    No one asked you to live with me. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickytoria77)
    sounds just like me to be honest!! I know someone is who living at home and is at the uni i'll be going to, - she loves it
    Thanks :-), i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. People are obviously percieving me as antisocial now, which is definitely not the case se77en!

ReputationRep:
    unless you're good at housework and stuff.... then id love you to live with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by islasmila)
    :dito: Except I'm living with my bf, not parents

ReputationRep:
    unless you're good at housework and stuff.... then id love you to live with me
    I used to be a cleaner :-p, so you could say i'm pretty good at that sort of thing, hehe

ReputationRep:

Living at uni is better

I don't see how living at home and being at uni can make someone's life isolated, unless of course they have no other friends in the first place. In that case, i don't think it's living at home that made his/her life boring...

I'm living at home because i live too close to the uni to get accommodation and i plan on having a great time, and to be honest, I am glad i'm not living in the halls!! The majority of them look like prison cells!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzy2512)
    I don't see how living at home and being at uni can make someone's life isolated, unless of course they have no other friends in the first place. In that case, i don't think it's living at home that made his/her life boring...

I'm living at home because i live too close to the uni to get accommodation and i plan on having a great time, and to be honest, I am glad i'm not living in the halls!! The majority of them look like prison cells!
    Agreed. I live 20 mins away from Uni on bus, but i intend to be as social at uni as possible. Plus i have an excellent set of mates here who arent going Uni so i deffinatly wont feel isolated here.

ReputationRep:
    yay, others who feel the same!! I'm getting a lot of aggro for not living at uni from my mates saying I'll miss the social side. I am intending to join all the societies etc!!!

ReputationRep:
    Same here, especially teachers at school used to nag me about it. I think i seemed quite antisocial in my previous post - i worded it badly but i was just trying to get my point across about not missing a social life!

ReputationRep:
    It seems the majority of people from my school are going to Wolverhampton just down the road and so staying at home.

ReputationRep:
    iv finished my undergrad course, and i stayed at home for the 3 years, sometimes it was annoying and i would have liked more independence etc, but my main reason for staying at home was cos i was only 20 mins bike ride from the uni ,so it made sense to stay, rather than look for somewhere that would prob b further away and have to pay steep rent for . i had no debt coming for college, well not much anyway. i dont think u miss out too much on uni life . like some weeks i would come home straight from uni, most of time id hang around uni after lectures etc were finished . and some days id b there from early morning til 8 or 9 or 10 at night or later. so it wasnt like i missed out on uni life .

ReputationRep:
    i agree R,

I am intending on becoming really involved with uni life.

I think it really is what you make it when you live at home.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.