Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about teaching myself AS physics over summer and the next year.. and buying the materials myself.. and paying for my exam entry, and for practical coursework/problems i will consult the department at college by e-mail..

I do OCR salters chemistry which is an applied course, i enjoy it and have performed well.. from what i understand it's harder than AQA chemistry, it bridges the gap from GCSE > AS better.. instead of clogging you down with all the maths at the beggining.

from what my teacher has told me you learn the exact same things anyway, and she has taught both sylabuses for the last 8 years and is the head of department..

i'm wondering which physics course to study.. the nuffield one i have heard is a bit of a joke, and while being applied is kack, not really as well respected, and i wouldn't want to be wasting my time getting a "bulls**t" qualification from edexcel..

what are your suggestions.. they teach OCR physics at our college, OCR chemistry salters (they are scrapping AQA) and AQA biology which i'm also studying and i struggle with, i think it is the way the exam is structured, they are so evatic about terms and don't accept any synonyms

ReputationRep:
    do edexcel its the best one :P

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR B 'Advancing Physics'.

Although it's not really applied you should get a wicked CD ROM that has loads of great resources on it - stuff like a huge glossary of key terms, loads of activities, practice questions and expts, and TONS of computer models that u can play with and actually really learn the physics just from looking at them.

The textbook is a bit wordy (it thinks it's Bill Bryson - it likes to tell you the phsyics as a story about the scientists, which is interesting to an extent but not really relevent to the A-level) and the maths in it isnt particularly clear. But it does have really good chapter summaries of each topic - which is basically all you need to revise from.

I've no idea how it compares to the other courses - but i do know that OCR B was devised in partnership the Institute of Physics (that's kind of like the organisation of all the chartered physicists in th UK) which must be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I also have done OCR B 'Advancing Physics', If you want to learn independently its the one for you. Its quite good course but the CD-rom does annoy me as the activities aren't great and the answers are often wrong. Also it tries to use as little maths as possible, good for some (not for me), but takes it too far and so its a bit wordy. Its meant to be the hardest course, and is very respected. However the section C part of the exam is really annoying, you get asked a set of questions on two areas of physics and it is very wordy. By the way does ne1 know what the A2 is like. In addition I feel that it dumbs down alot of the physics especially quantum thoery, it tells you almost nothing about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I did AQA Chem, Edexcel Maths and AQA B Physics.

The AQA B Physics was cool, no module choices and no coursework - yay!!!!
    But module 5 is a killer paper.

Anyway good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you about OCR B - it is annoying in places. Although A2 was A LOT better than AS - i got the sense there was less dumbing down. But the courseworks we did were really interesting - you get to do a fat research project into anything you want, and a proper investigation into anything you want too - i did about 5 experiements to find the planck constant as accurately as poss.

'Section C' in AS was fairly poo, but i spent about 15mins on it (they recommend 30) and still came out with an A, so they must give you credit even if it is a bit wordy... and there's no section C in A2 anyway.

I'm gald to hear someone think's it's supposed to be the hardest course... makes me feel a bit better having done it all...

ReputationRep:
    Also - i'm not sure any of the other courses even mention quantum theory... the stuff about engineering mirrors with phasors was really good i thought...

to be honest a physics A-level is a physics A-level. given the choice i'd go for more coursework (OCR B is about 20-30%) to beef up the exams.

ReputationRep:
    AQA B is okay - im actually doing aqa A next year aswell - im crazy. at the end of it i will have done two a levels for maths and physics with two different specifications/exam boards.

aqa b physics is pretty easy except i found the prac a bit annoying cos i kept buggering it up.

oh and also the aqa specs have all the past exam papers on the website free - apart from the most recent ones. its gr8

ReputationRep:
    If you liked Salters Chemistry, consider Edexcel Salters Physics.

It's a bit silly ("Explain why the resistance of the sausage changes") but it shouldn't be too hard to learn from the textbook.

You'll need to visit a physicsy place at some point to write up for AS coursework, as well as the experiments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodingerscat)
    I agree with you about OCR B - it is annoying in places. Although A2 was A LOT better than AS - i got the sense there was less dumbing down. But the courseworks we did were really interesting - you get to do a fat research project into anything you want, and a proper investigation into anything you want too - i did about 5 experiements to find the planck constant as accurately as poss.

'Section C' in AS was fairly poo, but i spent about 15mins on it (they recommend 30) and still came out with an A, so they must give you credit even if it is a bit wordy... and there's no section C in A2 anyway.

I'm gald to hear someone think's it's supposed to be the hardest course... makes me feel a bit better having done it all...

What did u do your research on? Glad to hear no more section C, i found i did the most revision for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencerocks2)
    I'm thinking about teaching myself AS physics over summer and the next year.. and buying the materials myself.. and paying for my exam entry, and for practical coursework/problems i will consult the department at college by e-mail..

I do OCR salters chemistry which is an applied course, i enjoy it and have performed well.. from what i understand it's harder than AQA chemistry, it bridges the gap from GCSE > AS better.. instead of clogging you down with all the maths at the beggining.

from what my teacher has told me you learn the exact same things anyway, and she has taught both sylabuses for the last 8 years and is the head of department..

i'm wondering which physics course to study.. the nuffield one i have heard is a bit of a joke, and while being applied is kack, not really as well respected, and i wouldn't want to be wasting my time getting a "bulls**t" qualification from edexcel..
    what are your suggestions.. they teach OCR physics at our college, OCR chemistry salters (they are scrapping AQA) and AQA biology which i'm also studying and i struggle with, i think it is the way the exam is structured, they are so evatic about terms and don't accept any synonyms
    What so bad about Edexcel? :confused: Would anyone with an A in physics Edexcel be looked down upon?

ReputationRep:
    Not really but they like the OCR B course cos the emphasis is on independent learning and it is approved/created by the IOP

ReputationRep:
    I would stronger advise you to steer clear of Salters Physics.Stick to pure physics not none of this applied stuff if you're really interested in it. You'll enjoy it more.
    I would do either edexcel or ocr b

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA B - at first it seemed great, nice 'pure' physics course with no coursework to worry about though to be honest, I'd have preferred doing coursework I think, though I didn't realise it until the practical exam got near. Other than that, it's a nice course. Next year my sixth form is running OCR B for the new year 12s I think, and that course seems a lot better. AQA B isnt a bad course though. My mate does Edexcel and doesnt seem to be a fan of it. And I know people who do the other Edexcel course the Salters Horners and basically you either love the course or you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    woooo OCR B!!!

for my two projects i did (1) the origin and fate of the universe... it was really cool cos it covered loads from the A2 year that i otherwise wouldnt have been able to 'show off' - gravity, quarks, spacetime, spectra ...

(2) the planck constant one (expt) was wicked also... loads of cool particle and atomic physics and wave/particle duality, exclusion principle,and a pretty accurate result. for this one my mate stole my ****in idea - studying the properties of guitar distortion pedals - using fourier transforms and stuff. one guy also studied a chaotic pendulum which was hypnotic, i swear.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 8, 2005

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.