Turn on thread page Beta

What Would You Do If You Were Pregnant? watch

ReputationRep:
    chances are that you are pregnant, if you play with fire you're going to get burnt. will teach you a lesson, act like a ****, and you will feel the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    *feels this thread is a magnet for trolls*

ReputationRep:
    *thinks dwight is taking the piss*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    *agrees*

Well hey, you're a mod!

ReputationRep:
    Exclusively trolls, or are other mythical beasts attracted to this thread?

ReputationRep:
    It's a complicated issue, but from the experiences of people I know I wouldn't want (if I were a woman) to bring a child into the world just to put it up for adoption. When I was growing up my next door neighbours had an adopted son. He was the child of two italian academics, and was exceptionally bright. However, his adoptive mother went on to have another child and could never get over the fact that her son wasn't hers (if that makes sense - she hated the adopted child because he wasn't her offspring) - she ruined his life and he never achieved his potential. I couldn't take that risk.
    I'm not saying I'm against adoption - my dad and step-mum are going through the process at the moment, and I think it's an excellent thing to do - but I wouldn't want to bring a life into the world just to give it away to anyone.

I don't want to have kids until i'm in my early 30s - by that stage I would hopefully be in a position to provide a stable family life for them. If a girlfriend were to get pregnant I would support her, but ideally I want to wait until I'm married to have kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    *agrees*

Well hey, you're a mod!
    you are a mod?! Shame on you, i am a rocker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    Exclusively trolls, or are other mythical beasts attracted to this thread?
    Joke count:
    This joke has been used 2,565,323 times.

Funny guy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    Joke count:
    This joke has been used 2,565,323 times.

Funny guy...
    And only a person who wastes far too much of his life on internet forums would know that it was a common joke.

ReputationRep:
    i might actually be pregnant. i know i should have gotten the morning after pill, But i couldnt get out in time to get the morning after pill......argh.... ok, whats the probability that a 16 yr old girl is pregnant from having unprotected sex but having it withdrawn before orgasm???(i know its a useless method)

and whens a girl likely to become more easily pregnant?? like straight after periods???
    no, a girl is more likely to get pregnant in the middle of her cycle, from about 11 days to 15 days. and dont worry too much - i have done this (admittedly, it caused me a great deal of worry and heartache), and i was fine. i know a lot of people who have done it too and been fine.
    take a pregnancy test, one of the "first response" ones which can tell up to 4 days before your period, and try not to worry too much - if you're stressed, your period wont come anyway.
    it could happen - but it is massively unlikely!!!
    good luck. xx

ReputationRep:
    The first point being . . . make sure the feeling is mutual between both parties!

For an 18 year old girl - Get an abortion. It will ruin your life and adoption will be to emotional and you can expect failings in your grades.

Mind you, you can expect failings in your grades at any choice.
    For any girl in this position, I do sympathise as it might seem scary at first, but then pain turns to numbness, and numbness to emotion. Emotion normally leads on to a ruined relationship if one party can't 'take it'.

Word of advice . . . . pay to go private. It's fewer visits to the doctors and a lot less mentally challenging. The NHS will draw every bit of emotion out of you on the way.

ReputationRep:
    i think it would be really hard and traumatic to give up a child, and probably affect the female in question for the rest of her life. Also i think it is important for males especially to realise it is not just the girls responsibilty if she did get pregnant, and the father should be involved with any decision making about the child, and if it is had, they should be supportive, give money etc

Also this is slightly unrelated but Little girl Red?? i like ur muse lyrics :P

ReputationRep:
    If I found out I was pregnant I would definately keep it, no questions asked. I have something wrong with me which means I probably can't have children naturally so if I got pregnant there is no doubt in my mind I would keep it. This may be also due to the fact I know my parents would support me 100% and so I would have their help. But even if I didn't, which I'm sure I would, I'd keep it anyway. I mean yeah my career would probably be forgotten about but even, when the child was 16ish I could pick my career up, or at least try! I personally couldn't go through an abortion, not that I disagree with them, they're just not for me! So my answer is yes, I would keep it.

Is this a different perspective Blissy?

ReputationRep:
    What a difficult question to answer! But I would really like to hear more male opinions on here :rolleyes: I really don't know what I would do...I suppose getting by without telling my family is not an option. It would really depend on the guy. If he wanted me to keep the baby and was sincerely ready to back me up and be a part of my life, I would keep it. If it was just me alone, I would have to terminate it. (That's if my mom would let me...) No matter how furious they were, my parents would still support me at least, though they would never want me to see the guy again...

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what people here [men can have their say too] would do if they [or their gf] had a slip up in the near future (so I'm assuming a time that isn't ideal and not planned). Putting aside emergency contraception, what would you do if you found out you were pregnant? At what age would you ideally like to have children and what would you do if those plans changed? Would your decision be influenced by who the father of the baby is etc etc?

I don't want this to turn into an abortion debate particularly, although I expect some of that will come into it.

I know a good number of girls who I went to school with who now either have babies or are heavily pregnant and it made me wonder about the topic.
    as a man, i'd prefer the girl to keep it as i dont think i could bring myself to support the termination of a child unless there were significant factors involved (danger to the mother type scenarios and stuff like that). im also quite an old fashioned, conservative sort of guy, so i dont generally like abortion anyway.

one of the lads in my college class just had a kid with his girlfriend last month and they obviously kept it. he said he wouldnt change it for the world and he couldnt be without the kid even though it was probably the most "gutting" news when he found out she was pregnant.

another mate got his girlfriend pregnant when he was 19 and she 18. they also kept it. then decided to get it done with and had another

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    look, i be coming across in a negative light here and seem uncaring. I bought her LOTS of drinks, so she should have paid for some sort of protection. I dont see what the problem is.
    Hahaha i wish i was u..jks .. u ruined someone's life coz of 2 or 3 pounds..? What, if u were that girl and i had done something like this to u?

ReputationRep:
    ASsume it no matter what. Its not the babys fault after all..its mine..
    However this is only valid if i get pregnant AFTER 22...before i think I would abort as I wouldnt be able to financially secure a promising future for my child, or a stable family life for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    not. a. f*cking. clue.

I'm SO not in a position, financially or mentally to have a kid at the moment, i mean, most of the time, I still feel like a kid myself (yes, I know i'm 19, ahem ) I'm still at Uni, my girlfriend is also still at uni...at the other side of the country. But abortion? I dunno...I absolutely love my girlfriend...and I wouldn't want to kill something that was part of us, something we'd made...

I really don't know...which is why I hope I'm not in that position for a LONG while yet!

goes without saying I'd stand by her whatever, and wouldn't do a runner!

also goes without saying that i'd absolutely brick it...

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't happen to me, I'm not stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I already got neg repped for this, you people are so fast (and amazingly sad!) The fact you do it anonymously says it all to me....cough...gutless...cough

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.