Turn on thread page Beta

What Would You Do If You Were Pregnant? watch

ReputationRep:
    I sadly come from one of those families that would probably end up disowning me if I ended up pregnant. They're too stuck up in their little minds and think that it would "ruin the family name." I think if I did end up pregnant somehow, I would probably feel too guilty and sickened to get an abortion, and I would most likely have to give the baby up for adoption because I can't see my parents helping me pay for him/her, although I'd want to keep the baby. One would hope my boyfriend would be there for me, but that doesn't happen much today.

In an ideal world, I definitely want children. I'd be married and both my husband & I would have stable jobs before having any, and I'd hope to have kids in my mid/late-twenties.. not too young, but not too old that I might have to deal with a higher chance of infertility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Wouldn't happen to me, I'm not stupid.
    What, do you think that if you were ever raped, the attacker would use a condom or something simply because you're too clever to get pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    What, do you think that if you were ever raped, the attacker would use a condom or something simply because you're too clever to get pregnant?
    Thats not what I meant, don't talk about rape.

ReputationRep:
    So what would you do were you raped and to become pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    So what would you do were you raped and to become pregnant?
    Look, don't talk about rape

ReputationRep:
    If I were pregnant? I'd be totally shocked

ReputationRep:
    Look, don't talk about rape
    Why not? It happens. It could happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not what I meant, don't talk about rape.
    Of course you didn't mean that. I'm just trying to demonstrate that you don't always get a choice about pregnancy, no matter how hard you try, because A) no contraceptive device is 100% effective, and even if you use more than one it doesn't mean that theoretically both won't fail at once, and B) unfortunately, there are some sick ****ers in the world and sometimes horrible things happen.

So when you make a snotty comment that suggests that YOU'RE too good to ever have an unwanted pregnancy, it's disrespectful towards those who find themselves in that situation regardless of how good the choices they made were. Not to mention that it's insulting towards those who made a mistake and found themselves in this predicament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Why not? It happens. It could happen to you.
    Just quit talking about rape, ok

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty forgetful about the pill so i can easily imagine it happening sooner or later. will switch to the injection soon though. If i got pregnant now I would keep it, because I'm with the man of my dreams and i know we'd regret not keeping our first child. with anyone else, it's straight down to the clinic. but who knows, i might feel differently if it actually happened. I certainly want to have a career and stuff first and we want to travel the world before settling down. who knows.

ReputationRep:
    I put have the baby and keep it but thats like a pipe dream. I've known for years I'll never have children plus at least I'm in the position in life to be able to support myself and a child so I could feasibly do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    unfortunately, there are some sick ****ers in the world and sometimes horrible things happen.

So when you make a snotty comment that suggests that YOU'RE too good to ever have an unwanted pregnancy, it's disrespectful towards those who find themselves in that situation regardless of how good the choices they made were. Not to mention that it's insulting towards those who made a mistake and found themselves in this predicament.
    I agree.

Straight talker, you seem kind of er...arrogant, in your snotty, chin in the air "I'm not that stupid" attitude.

I'm wondering if you have been hurt based on your reaction in this thread. If so, I'm sorry.

I abstain, but God forbid, I could be raped. And no, I don't know what I would do. I probably would raise the poor child. They deserve to be treated as if he/she were made out of love, but it would be hard to get past looking at the child and thinking - rapist.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't possibly say as I have never been in that situation. But I can't really see myself keeping it.

ReputationRep:
    If I was outside of marriage I wouldn't keep it, simply because my parents would go nuts! I honestly think I'd be disowned. If I told my mum, I don't think she'd tell my dad and I believe she would make me have an abortion. But I would be too scared to tell my parents, might tell my older sister who I am very close too but she would know how our parents would react and get me an abortion too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grapefruit_girl)
    omg, what if the guy im seeing is actually like this.....

i might actually be pregnant. i know i should have gotten the morning after pill, But i couldnt get out in time to get the morning after pill......argh.... ok, whats the probability that a 16 yr old girl is pregnant from having unprotected sex but having it withdrawn before orgasm???(i know its a useless method)

and whens a girl likely to become more easily pregnant?? like straight after periods???

Please dont lecture me (well you can but its not gonna make a difference). i know i should have made him use a condom etc etc etc.

ive always said that id have an abortion, but if and when it comes to the crunch, i dont think i could do it.
    First of all, clarify your position. Get yourself a pregnancy test or go to a family planning clinic or your GP. Most of them offer a free or inexpensive testing service. If you are pregnant, find out how many weeks gone you are. Only then can you decide what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't be in a good position to have a baby. i'm not mature enough, even though some would argue that at my age you are, i don't really consider myself to be. also, with going to uni etc, i dont really see it being easy. i feel if i couldn't have a good start in life i wouldn't be a good mother in the future.

omg, what if the guy im seeing is actually like this.....

i might actually be pregnant. i know i should have gotten the morning after pill, But i couldnt get out in time to get the morning after pill......argh.... ok, whats the probability that a 16 yr old girl is pregnant from having unprotected sex but having it withdrawn before orgasm???(i know its a useless method)

and whens a girl likely to become more easily pregnant?? like straight after periods???

Please dont lecture me (well you can but its not gonna make a difference). i know i should have made him use a condom etc etc etc.

ive always said that id have an abortion, but if and when it comes to the crunch, i dont think i could do it.
    as for this, i know it sounds silly but *try* not to worry. i know obviously it's goign to be at the front of your mind but it wont help anyone by worrying. find out whether you are or not. if you are late on and you are worrying a lot, it can be helpful to know that worrying and stress can make you come on late. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    why should i waste my money with a girl i never intend to see again?
    You can get them for free, you idiot, and if you're intending on continuing your uncaring promiscuous lifestyle, then you might want to consider protecting yourself against STIs AND getting hit with some nasty child support.

(Original post by Saffie)
    Don't uni's have creche's and child-care arrangements though?

Similarly I'd get my parents to look after him/her at least until I'd finished 6th form, and my mum's giving up work when I finish anyway sooo..
    The childcare arrangements available at Cambridge are by all accounts pretty poor. I don't think there is a creche, or if there is, it's totally overbooked. Plus, university aside, once I graduate (not for another 4 years) I'm going to be working hideous hours, getting horribly stressed and not being in any fit state to look after anyone more than myself. It's not fair to put a child in that position, when given another 10 years I would be much more able to look after it - assuming the right man were around, of course!

ReputationRep:
    To go into detail i'd have a deep long chat about it with my boyfriend first, he has always said that if i did fall pregnant that he'd stick by me. Then work out how to tell my parents but i could never get rid of my baby, ok it would ruin my chances at uni and my career, but i can do all that later, i could go in as a mature student. I'm not hugely against abortion but i think there has to be a specific reason for it for example if the baby is gonna be born severly disabled then a termination would be best for the child. I couldn't deny a perfectly healthy child a decent chance at life.
    I just asked my mum what she would think and basically she would sit me down talk me through my options and i would be my choice and she would support me whatever i chose, which i guess is pretty nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The childcare arrangements available at Cambridge are by all accounts pretty poor. I don't think there is a creche, or if there is, it's totally overbooked. Plus, university aside, once I graduate (not for another 4 years) I'm going to be working hideous hours, getting horribly stressed and not being in any fit state to look after anyone more than myself. It's not fair to put a child in that position, when given another 10 years I would be much more able to look after it - assuming the right man were around, of course!
    I don't suppose teen-mums get into Cambridge a lot then. :rolleyes:
    Your kid would be three when you graduate- that's old enough to go to day-nursery :s: And you'll be earning money to pay for childcare. Regarding your crazy hours- you'd have to rely on your parents/ v. good friends.

Anyway, I'm just looking at it from the 'you can't kill a person' viewpoint, I guess if you get an abortion early enough it's just like an operation to remove some cells.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I'd do. I think I'd just tell the girl I'd stand by her choice and support her regardless of what she did. They have to make a pretty important choice under an incredible amount of pressure, and I doubt the hormones and stuff are going to be helping any more. So I'd hate to make things things worse, and irrespective of my beliefs, its her body, and her choice.

However, if she was having an abortion because she couldn't/wouldn't support a baby, I'd assure her that I wouldn't back out. and that I'd take care of the child by myself it came down to it. So if it actually came down to me ending up with the kid, and both of us going our separate ways leaving me to look after it, I'd stick by what I said before.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be because of any moral imperative, but I couldn't deal with the guilt, so selfish reasons really.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.