Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it would depend on the situation tbh. but right now, i have my whole life ahead of me. It may be a good idea to put the child up for adoption, but there are so many strings attached, it may be emotionally harder to deal with. btw, i really don't see myself getting pregnant!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    I don't know what I'd do. I think I'd just tell the girl I'd stand by her choice and support her regardless of what she did. They have to make a pretty important choice under an incredible amount of pressure, and I doubt the hormones and stuff are going to be helping any more. So I'd hate to make things things worse, and irrespective of my beliefs, its her body, and her choice.

However, if she was having an abortion because she couldn't/wouldn't support a baby, I'd assure her that I wouldn't back out. and that I'd take care of the child by myself it came down to it. So if it actually came down to me ending up with the kid, and both of us going our separate ways leaving me to look after it, I'd stick by what I said before.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be because of any moral imperative, but I couldn't deal with the guilt, so selfish reasons really.
    Thats really sweet, although my boyfriend would stick by me if i kept it, even though he is Catholic i doubt he'd appreciate being stuck on his own with a screaming baby. He'd probably chuck it at his mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I don't suppose teen-mums get into Cambridge a lot then. :rolleyes:
    Your kid would be three when you graduate- that's old enough to go to day-nursery :s: And you'll be earning money to pay for childcare. Regarding your crazy hours- you'd have to rely on your parents/ v. good friends.

Anyway, I'm just looking at it from the 'you can't kill a person' viewpoint, I guess if you get an abortion early enough it's just like an operation to remove some cells.
    Well, my point is that whatever happened, it would be insanely difficult to bring up and take care of a kid while I’m going through that – and being a clinical student before I graduate isn’t exactly easy! My parents don’t live near the Cambridge, so it’s not an option. Hence why I’m really hoping and trying my hardest NOT to get in that situation!

Being as I’m generally quite aware of all things medical though, I’d probably notice early enough that abortion would be no problem.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with abortion at all - if I was pregnant now then I'd be straight down to the clinic. IMO destroying a bunch of cells early on wouldn't be traumatic for me. I would never wait until it was late enough to have a surgical one - as soon as I missed my period and the test was positive my decision would be made. Even tho I really am happy with my BF, now is not the time with uni coming up. Plus, as much as my BF loves me, I know that at the moment he would be devastated if I decided to have a baby! Neither of us are at that stage yet.

Luckily, my mum would be very supportive. Once I thought I was pregnant, I told her straight away and she offered to go and buy me a test and to take me to the abortion clinic etc. But I wasn't phewph!

Could NEVER do the adoption thing - giving birth and seeing that baby and then it being taken away - horrible thought.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have the baby and keep it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, my point is that whatever happened, it would be insanely difficult to bring up and take care of a kid while I’m going through that – and being a clinical student before I graduate isn’t exactly easy! My parents don’t live near the Cambridge, so it’s not an option. Hence why I’m really hoping and trying my hardest NOT to get in that situation!

Being as I’m generally quite aware of all things medical though, I’d probably notice early enough that abortion would be no problem.
    Yeah I'm sure it would be so hard. I'd definitely prefer an abortion than dropping out of med school. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Have it and keep it. I couldnt abort a baby of mine (although I'm not against abortion) and I would never give it up for adoption so Id keep it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...Sprigged...)
    I agree.

Straight talker, you seem kind of er...arrogant, in your snotty, chin in the air "I'm not that stupid" attitude.

I'm wondering if you have been hurt based on your reaction in this thread. If so, I'm sorry.

I abstain, but God forbid, I could be raped. And no, I don't know what I would do. I probably would raise the poor child. They deserve to be treated as if he/she were made out of love, but it would be hard to get past looking at the child and thinking - rapist.
    No I'm not snotty, I'm just sensible. I didn't want to talk about rape as in Blissy's initial thread, she simply asks for the guys and the girls views if they had a 'slip up' which of course isn't rape.

Also as for the child being born from rape, you're thinking selfishly about how you cope with looking at it everyday and how if would make you feel, but what about the effect this would have on the child? I mean would it be fair to bring it into the world, when it's obviously going to have a hard time and probably end up being screwed up? You'd really have to think things through more I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    No I'm not snotty, I'm just sensible. I didn't want to talk about rape as in Blissy's initial thread, she simply asks for the guys and the girls views if they had a 'slip up' which of course isn't rape.
    Your comment was extremely snotty. You've ignored my reply about contraceptives failing, is this because of an oversight or are you so clever that you could never have a split condom? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Your comment was extremely snotty. You've ignored my reply about contraceptives failing, is this because of an oversight or are you so clever that you could never have a split condom? :rolleyes:
    Well it wasn't aimed to be snotty, you must have taken it the wrong way and I apologise.

Split condom, OK, well I would be sensible enough to get a morning after pill straight away, so that I wouldn't get pregnant, and so then wouldn't be in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    Well it wasn't aimed to be snotty, you must have taken it the wrong way and I apologise.

Split condom, OK, well I would be sensible enough to get a morning after pill straight away, so that I wouldn't get pregnant, and so then wouldn't be in that situation.
    Blissy said we were ignoring that type of contraception in the initial post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Blissy said we were ignoring that type of contraception in the initial post :rolleyes:
    I didn't bring the split condom issue up.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bring the split condom issue up.
    No, but she did ask what you'd do if you became pregnant, not whether you think you can see yourself getting into that kind of situation!

Anyway, for argument's sake, what if you're on holiday in a country that doesn't approve of the morning after pill and doesn't dispense it? This is a rhetorical question, I'm trying to demonstrate that it is possible to get pregnant no matter how smart your choices, and that by insinuating that people who get pregnant unintentionally are unintelligent then you're being insulting to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    No, but she did ask what you'd do if you became pregnant, not whether you think you can see yourself getting into that kind of situation!

Anyway, for argument's sake, what if you're on holiday in a country that doesn't approve of the morning after pill and doesn't dispense it? This is a rhetorical question, I'm trying to demonstrate that it is possible to get pregnant no matter how smart your choices, and that by insinuating that people who get pregnant unintentionally are unintelligent then you're being insulting to them!
    I didn't say they were unintelligent, they probably know exactly what they're doing. Even the most intelligent people take risks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd want to keep it. I'm [finally] in a situation where I would be able to support a baby and I've always watned to have kids as soon as possible. Although, it would be ideal to wait a couple more years to save some £££ first.

ReputationRep:
    I do not say this lightly, and I always try to be respectable on the internet.

You are a jerk and/or a troll. You are down right hissy mean and arrogant.

I hope you are not actually 22. If so, the world is going to hit you with a straight axe.

As for "sensible" I guess you are meaning an abortion after rape. Fine. Then say that, or say something! My gosh, you put out this arrogance, then have no foundation to stand on. I even tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, saying "I'm sorry" if you had been hurt.

Ladies and gentleman, with the abrupt one-liners, and avoidance of the questions at hand, I smell a troll.

ReputationRep:
    I do not say this lightly, and I always try to be respectable on the internet.

You are a jerk and/or a troll. You are down right hissy mean and arrogant.

I hope you are not actually 22. If so, the world is going to hit you with a straight axe.

As for "sensible" I guess you are meaning an abortion after rape. Fine. Then say that, or say something! My gosh, you put out this arrogance, then have no foundation to stand on. I even tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, saying "I'm sorry" if you had been hurt.

Ladies and gentleman, with the abrupt one-liners, and avoidance of the questions at hand, I smell a troll.
    I assume you're talking about me, seeing as you were not intelligent enough to actually mention than in your post :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    I assume you're talking about me, seeing as you were not intelligent enough to actually mention than in your post :stupid:

well, it was pretty obvious, and because you're *OH SO* intelligent, perhaps he thought he didn't need to and that you'd know straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Also as for the child being born from rape, you're thinking selfishly about how you cope with looking at it everyday and how if would make you feel, but what about the effect this would have on the child? I mean would it be fair to bring it into the world, when it's obviously going to have a hard time and probably end up being screwed up?
    Do you actually think, with my life ahead of me, and oing to uni that I want a kid?!

You're calling me selfish. Look, I don't want kids- at all! But yes, I would likely give the child a chance at life, and of course I wouldn't be screaming "daddy was a rapist" to the kid.

You'd really have to think things through more I guess.
    (laughs heartily)

How ironic, coming from you!

ReputationRep:

No actually to be sensible I mean, having safe sex, not going out and having unprotected sex. I did not say everyone should have an abortion after rape, I said they should consider everything thoroughly before making a decision, such as it isn't just the effect it will have on them, but also on the child. I don't see anything wrong in saying this. It seems some people are absolutely determined to twist everything I say.

What are you on about 'giving the benefit of the doubt by saying sorry'? Why should you say sorry? Weird.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.