Turn on thread page Beta

Why were you accepted at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc??! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaGuy)
    To the OP: Your stats seem alright. However, do be aware that other than academic merit, your recommendation letters play a very important part in the selection process.

thanks justaguy!! so you think my grades are enough? just confirming....

also, is there any thread on student room which gives an idea about the general format of the recommendation letters?? i.e what they expect to have in those letters etc..

ReputationRep:
    well yah recommendation letters have same preference as your academic performances have,,may be ur reference letters,statement of purpose,work-exp letters will matter most in top 5unis,coz those unis wish to know ur attitude,work level,presentation.so prepare a excellent sops,recommendation letter frm teachers,thr r some sites which will guide to prepare letters,,

ReputationRep:
    I got my place at Oxford largely because I had 'industrial' lab experience. The fact that I arranged it myself and my first degree wasn't a sandwich course also got me brownie points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studyuk)
    well yah recommendation letters have same preference as your academic performances have,,may be ur reference letters,statement of purpose,work-exp letters will matter most in top 5unis,coz those unis wish to know ur attitude,work level,presentation.so prepare a excellent sops,recommendation letter frm teachers,thr r some sites which will guide to prepare letters,,

there's a hell lot of work ahead for me i guess....i'm just worried about my academic performance - coz all the top schools say that they require atleast a good upper second class honours degree....which means a G.P.A of atleast 3.7/4 i guess....mine's way below that....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I got my place at Oxford largely because I had 'industrial' lab experience. The fact that I arranged it myself and my first degree wasn't a sandwich course also got me brownie points.
    hi fluffy, what's this industrial lab experience??

is it something like internship? well....i guess in that case i can talk about a 6 month internship that i had in central bank of india (which is the biggest public sector bank!!)....although i didnt arrange for it myself....will that help??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingkolours)

is it something like internship? well....i guess in that case i can talk about a 6 month internship that i had in central bank of india (which is the biggest public sector bank!!)....although i didnt arrange for it myself....will that help??
    Yes I should think so. What exactly were you doing at the bank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Yes I should think so. What exactly were you doing at the bank?
    to be frank, i wasn't involved much with the main business of the bank....i was working on an IT module.....but then i surely did understand a lot about the functioning of the treasury and stuff like that.....writing it in the PS might help right?

but chemistboy (or anyone), please tell me about the gpa requirement!!!!! will my gpa of 3.2 be enough. will it be considered atleast a second upper class?

my certificate says "completed the programme and has been placed in First division".

do the universities in UK acknowledge the different grade systems in different colleges all over the world?? do they go deep??

ReputationRep:
    to be frank, i wasn't involved much with the main business of the bank....i was working on an IT module.....but then i surely did understand a lot about the functioning of the treasury and stuff like that.....writing it in the PS might help right?

but chemistboy (or anyone), please tell me about the gpa requirement!!!!! will my gpa of 3.2 be enough. will it be considered atleast a second upper class?

my certificate says "completed the programme and has been placed in First division".

do the universities in UK acknowledge the different grade systems in different colleges all over the world?? do they go deep??

hey(new too this thread) im in same boat too ,my cg too is 7.5/10 ,IIT MADRAS ,with minors in business and finances (8.1/10) ,i think they do consider different grade sysytems ,other wise it's impossible for me to get anywhere ,since it's hard too get high cg here and in some engg. colleges in india .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahulocaty)
    hey(new too this thread) im in same boat too ,my cg too is 7.5/10 ,IIT MADRAS ,with minors in business and finances (8.1/10) ,i think they do consider different grade sysytems ,other wise it's impossible for me to get anywhere ,since it's hard too get high cg here and in some engg. colleges in india .
    hey rahul...same feelings here....it seems impossible if they dont consider it different from the US gpa system...
    had an impression that you're planning to apply to oxford mfe too!! where're you working right now??!!

ReputationRep:
    hey rahul...same feelings here....it seems impossible if they dont consider it different from the US gpa system...
    had an impression that you're planning to apply to oxford mfe too!! where're you working right now??!!

not working ,im a fresher in my 7 sem here in iitm,sice they du admit ppl without workex
    well i think since u hve workex ,u will hve an advantage ,i think they will consider gpa factor,im too planning to apply but hve not decided which dead line .

ReputationRep:
    not working ,im a fresher in my 7 sem here in iitm,sice they du admit ppl without workex
    well i think since u hve workex ,u will hve an advantage ,i think they will consider gpa factor,im too planning to apply but hve not decided which dead line .
    hey rahul...what's the best time to apply for the MFE program then??! is it sometime in october etc or is it better to apply in the 3rd round or soemthing like that??

ReputationRep:
    hey rahul...what's the best time to apply for the MFE program then??! is it sometime in october etc or is it better to apply in the 3rd round or soemthing like that??
    hey i hve not decided yet ,i am still doing research work on some topics ,moreover i hve a drop in statistics (dun know stats requirement of theses ppl)may be after completion of all these work
    then i will apply ,i am applying more for purpose of research work rather than job

ReputationRep:

Yes, I did 13 months with a well known pharmaceutical company.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!! What are the things that really matter to get accepted in places like Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and all the top places?!!!! (post graduate)

i'm an international student planning to apply for a masters in finance (or accountancy and finance, or financial economics..whatever..) in some of the top colleges in UK...

I
    have done MSc(Tech) Finance (wa 4 year integrated course)
    have a gmat score of 730(i know imperial doesnt need it..),
    have a decent g.p.a (with many A's and some B's in finance related courses
    think I can manage a good personal statement,
    can manage to get decent recommendation letters from my undergrad college
    have done my undergrad in a college that's in the top 5 (in India)
    am working in a company that's the No. 1 in IT (in India)
    am a Level-1 candidate of the CFA prog (taking the level-1 exam in dec,2005)
    have a passion for finance

But still I think there's something missing in me that seperates me from those at the top.

so if those that have been accepted at these top places tell us what really seperates them from the rest, why were they a part of the chosen few, and things like their grades, scores etc, it'll be really great!!
    hey, your personal record will not be an obstacle to get into anywhere you want. I got into LBS with similar profile i would say. i suggest you start working on ps and recommendations and apply early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adviceseeker)
    hey, your personal record will not be an obstacle to get into anywhere you want. I got into LBS with similar profile i would say. i suggest you start working on ps and recommendations and apply early.
    it was very nice of you to say that i have a profile similar to yours adviceseeker !!! i've read some of your posts previously and i'd give anything to be in a position like yours - the fact that you got offers from all the top places in UK itself shows that your profile must've been in a different league !!!

if you don't mind, can you please share your profile?? you've got a great gmat score of 740 i know - but there sure must've been something else that has made all the difference and got you all those offers!! what is it??!!! it'd be really really helpful!! how good were your recommendation letters?? and what did you stress on in your personal statement??

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bothering everyone again...there's one thing left on my mind that I am worried about....I want to know what kind of cumulative GPA do the top colleges like LSE, Warwick, Princeton expect a candidate to have. Will my C.G.P.A be considered as 'not bad' or 'bad'

I have a C.G.P.A of 3.2 (out of 4)
    i don't know the concept of conditional offers, majors etc coz we dont have that in India, the grades that I have got in the Finance CDC's (Compulsory Discipline Courses) are

Financial Management B
    Theory of Finance B
    Project Finance A
    International Financial Markets and Services A
    Merchant Banking A
    Econometrics B

Other Finance courses

Security Analysis and Portfolio Management A
    Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting A
    Functions & Working of a Stock Exchange B

Math courses (wasn't interested much then ...actually I hated these..)

Probability and Statistics C
    Linear Algebra D
    Advanced Calculus D
    Operations Research D

G.P.A considering only the finance courses - (8 A's and 5 B's) - 3.69 out of 4)

So, now with the new information, what do you think are my chances? can i still be optimistic?!
    I got into oxford. what is really important is show them your potential but not what you have now. I got GPA 3.8, finance 4.0, math 4.0. Derive your PS carefully and let it be unique. Make yourself attractive, make them impressive on "one" or ""two" characteristics of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abircc)
    I got into oxford. what is really important is show them your potential but not what you have now. I got GPA 3.8, finance 4.0, math 4.0. Derive your PS carefully and let it be unique. Make yourself attractive, make them impressive on "one" or ""two" characteristics of you

hi abircc, i have one doubt ,although i have a very strong quantitative background but i have one drop in statistics and tht has been mentioned in my gradesheet ,can it effect my chances :confused: ,i have very strong recomendation ,publishing one paper in finance in india ,and have descent gpa
    plzz guide me regarding this im really confused abt this one course although im enrolling in statistics last term

ReputationRep:
    hi abircc, i have one doubt ,although i have a very strong quantitative background but i have one drop in statistics and tht has been mentioned in my gradesheet ,can it effect my chances :confused: ,i have very strong recomendation ,publishing one paper in finance in india ,and have descent gpa
    plzz guide me regarding this im really confused abt this one course although im enrolling in statistics last term
    you have got a paper published?!!! in which journal??!! that's great rahul!!

ReputationRep:
    you have got a paper published?!!! in which journal??!! that's great rahul!!
    hi flying colours ,i haven't got published it yet ,sending it for review ,it's a painful process , ,i was working on mean reversion behaviour of indian stock markets ,hve finshed the work and sending it to some 4,5 indian journals right now,(iim's business review hopefully)or bombay and national stock exchanges publications ,although im hopeful tht the review process will not take much time ,if get successfully published then may be in a asian journal (not international because it's on indian subject purely),anyways have u started working on your sop ,wht i hve feeling tht work ex ,non work ex should have breakup of 60% and 40% .

ReputationRep:
    hey, gradesheet note is nothing but only for their references. show them your papers and your strong quantitative ability, they will focus nothing about gpa things. never try to explain your dropped course, show your strong only.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.