Turn on thread page Beta

Why were you accepted at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc??! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahulocaty)
    hi flying colours ,i haven't got published it yet ,sending it for review ,it's a painful process , ,i was working on mean reversion behaviour of indian stock markets ,hve finshed the work and sending it to some 4,5 indian journals right now,(iim's business review hopefully)or bombay and national stock exchanges publications ,although im hopeful tht the review process will not take much time ,if get successfully published then may be in a asian journal (not international because it's on indian subject purely),anyways have u started working on your sop ,wht i hve feeling tht work ex ,non work ex should have breakup of 60% and 40% .
    that's really impressive dude...
    i havent yet started working on my personal statement....i think there's still some time left to think - i'm not sure about the work ex part though...i dont know whether it'll be to my advantage or disadvantage to have work-ex in the IT field...
    what other places are you planning to apply to? i'm thinking of warwick, lse, cass and manchester...that's coz i have no idea about my chances in all these places...and i've been getting really confusing feedback from everyone i know...all the confusion has left me with a little hope in my heart that i'll get into a good one and a huge fear that i may not get into any

what abt recommendation letters? i'm planning a visit to my college next month to ask for the letters.....i'll get one from a dean who was also the head of the economics and finance dept when i was in college...but i'm not sure whom to ask for the other...there was a professor with whom i had a heated argument over something...so i cant ask him...and another prof in the department left for another university..there's no one else in the economics and finance department that's got a phd..
    can i ask a professor or two in the languages or humanities department? or should i take a recommendation from a non-phd teacher in my own department? any idea??

and i have no idea whether to tell my professors to write whatever they feel like or whether to request them to include some stuff to make it more impressive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abircc)
    hey, gradesheet note is nothing but only for their references. show them your papers and your strong quantitative ability, they will focus nothing about gpa things. never try to explain your dropped course, show your strong only.

hey abircc, how do they gauge our quantitative ability?? do they look at our grades in the math courses taken at college or do they see the quant score in gmat? which is more important? i'm asking coz my first year grades suck..and that was when we had math courses...but then my gmat score is good...
    how do i project a "i'm good at math" image??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingkolours)
    that's really impressive dude...
    i havent yet started working on my personal statement....i think there's still some time left to think - i'm not sure about the work ex part though...i dont know whether it'll be to my advantage or disadvantage to have work-ex in the IT field...
    what other places are you planning to apply to? i'm thinking of warwick, lse, cass and manchester...that's coz i have no idea about my chances in all these places...and i've been getting really confusing feedback from everyone i know...all the confusion has left me with a little hope in my heart that i'll get into a good one and a huge fear that i may not get into any

what abt recommendation letters? i'm planning a visit to my college next month to ask for the letters.....i'll get one from a dean who was also the head of the economics and finance dept when i was in college...but i'm not sure whom to ask for the other...there was a professor with whom i had a heated argument over something...so i cant ask him...and another prof in the department left for another university..there's no one else in the economics and finance department that's got a phd..
    can i ask a professor or two in the languages or humanities department? or should i take a recommendation from a non-phd teacher in my own department? any idea??

and i have no idea whether to tell my professors to write whatever they feel like or whether to request them to include some stuff to make it more impressive...

hey,surely work ex will help man .it doesn't matter whether u have in IT or Finance wht matters is work ex ,i am sure u will be able to make it ,i think u should try for lbs too ,moreover since ur frm BITS tht will help a lot man ,
    they are not gonna take students frm any institute in india ,either they look for top institute or really high grades if ur not frm top institute ,dun get confused by anybody's feedback have confidence ,yes surely u can take reccomendation frm any prof in ur insti but u mus make sure tht he knows u well as u hve to write in form in wht regards he knows u ,i am too taking recco's frm profs in economics and management studies dept ( obviously phd holders ,must in iit's)i have done research work under thm ,i have till now shortlisted lse and mfe till now ,regarding work ex and non work ex they have mentioned in website they want majority of ppl with work ex and significant no. of non work ex ,and jus like abircc said show r strong side ,show thm repo of ur insti and wht u have learned and y du want to go for this course .since i want to return to india i will apply to only those institute those who have brand name in india such as oxford and lse or will go for job (in IT offcourse)

ReputationRep:
    Hi Flyingcolours...
    I'm applying for admission in 2006 to top UK programs although in a different course. My CGPA is 3.48, and i feel iffy about it. I'm gonna have to rely on recommendations and writing samples to make it up.

I'm a newbie like you but I've done tons of research on schools. Most top UK schools require a minimum 2i honours degree. Depending on the school this is at least a 3.4 0r 3.5.

Your CGPA sounds a bit low at 3.2. And your marks in math courses are rather low as well. Schools want a well rounded candidate, not just a person who concentrates in certain topics.

However, applying to college is like roulette. Get some great letters of recs. and try to promote your character and other abilities in your application.
    You'll never know unless you try! Good luck with your progress and the application process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtHistorian)
    Hi Flyingcolours...
    I'm applying for admission in 2006 to top UK programs although in a different course. My CGPA is 3.48, and i feel iffy about it. I'm gonna have to rely on recommendations and writing samples to make it up.

I'm a newbie like you but I've done tons of research on schools. Most top UK schools require a minimum 2i honours degree. Depending on the school this is at least a 3.4 0r 3.5.

Your CGPA sounds a bit low at 3.2. And your marks in math courses are rather low as well. Schools want a well rounded candidate, not just a person who concentrates in certain topics.

However, applying to college is like roulette. Get some great letters of recs. and try to promote your character and other abilities in your application.
    You'll never know unless you try! Good luck with your progress and the application process!

hi art historians ,
    me too applying to uk universities (from india)this year and me too in same boat with 7.5/10 ,but u mus cosider different countries and different institutes have different grading system ,right now im in IIT(only 3000 students selected from 200,000 applications in 2005) which ranks number 4 in world for engg. and IT (THES RANKINGS 2005) much above many us univ and kinda competition we have and grading system(relative grading system) it's impossible to have a cg like 3.5 or above out of 4 ( adjust it with 10 scale ) so how can they compare us with other students of diff. countries having let's say 3.9/4 ,one of my senior with 3/4 got into oxford,princeton,lse ,stanford with scholarship,with same kinda grades ,opted for stanfrd offcourse
    here we dun have time besides rigourous academic schedule ,no chance of well rounded development , yes obviously i agree with u that we can make it up with good sops and reccomendation ,but we can't compare different grading system

ReputationRep:
    I Totally agree with you! I am sooooooo confused with the British scale for grading. In the US, a 3.4 or 3.5 is rather good. It is almost impossible to get a 3.8 in US universities because we mark like this A+ (4.0) A (3.8)..even if you get straight As it is not perfect. I am sure they all take this in consideration in the application process.

It's just that Oxbridge says minimum should be 3.5....for US students.

I have a 3.48.....I don't Know!

Can somebody explain why some UK universities define honours on a different numeric scale?

ReputationRep:
    I Totally agree with you! I am sooooooo confused with the British scale for grading. In the US, a 3.4 or 3.5 is rather good. It is almost impossible to get a 3.8 in US universities because we mark like this A+ (4.0) A (3.8)..even if you get straight As it is not perfect. I am sure they all take this in consideration in the application process.

It's just that Oxbridge says minimum should be 3.5....for US students.

I have a 3.48.....I don't Know!

Can somebody explain why some UK universities define honours on a different numeric scale?
    i think they put figures like min 3.5 after going through applications of past students enrolled in their courses ,since im from engg. back ground can't say about that much ,but i can tell you top universities not only cnsider grades ,they require ppl from different countries and they want diversity in their batches , i think with 3.48 ,u can make it with some good test scores and reccomendation ,anyways best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi ArtHistorian,
    I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, as I know how confusing it can be to compare American and British qualifications. If I were you, I'd go ahead and apply. I applied to 5 universities that all called for an 2:1, and I got 5 offers. THe conditions on the offers ranged from a final GPA of 3.0 to a final GPA of 3.9. Since you are so incredibly close to what they are calling for, I'd definately go for it. There's absolutely no way you can know what they are looking for, but especially since your GPA is stronger in your subject, it seems it should at least be worth a shot!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! That helps a lot!!! I appreciate it. I think I'm good to go , I mean I know people with worse results that get in.
    I have good letters, great experience, and interesting research topic.

what schools did you apply for and what?

ReputationRep:
    ArtHistorian, I am having the same problem!

I have a 3.4(something!) but 3.6 in my area of concentration, and am not sure if I should be applying to the top unis...Kings says a 2:1 is 3.25 and LSE says it's a 3.5! Big difference (I think)...plus I'm about to be a senior so I expect to graduate with a 3.5 once I've finished up...but I don't get how conditional/unconditional acceptances work for post grad. So confusing...
    I've also done some good work experience and have good recs so maybe that will make up the difference? And I go to a well-known college so I'm hoping that will help as well.
    Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    If you know your research topic, it might also help to contact your department/possible supervisors at the universities you want to go to. If you have a good research topic, you will fare better in research based programs (seems obvious, but i thought i'd state it...)...for example, i applied to Cambridge, and my program asked me to submit my research proposal in lieu of a "why i want to do this program" type statement.

the way conditional/unconditional works for post grad, as best I know, is that if you haven't graduated yet you will get a conditional offer, and they will tell you what your final GPA needs to be. I think they just want to make sure that you're not going to slack off/take a huge academic nosedive in your final semester of college. some of the universities i applied to gave me academic conditions with zero margin for error (essentially meaning i needed straight a's my final semester), while some seemed merely a formality.

i applied to cambridge, LSE, st. andrews, birmingham, and trinity college dublin for international relations. I was worried cause I went to a small, not very prestigous state school for undergrad. It seemed incredibly stressful at the time, because I had no idea where I stood and no one seemed able to offer me any advice, but, in the end, I'm glad I applied for the longshot (Cambridge) cause that's where I'm headed in about 3 weeks.

best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your admission to Cambridge.
    I spent a summer there and it was great. Food not so great. Let me know if you want to know the better restaurants and places to hang out!

What are you going to study and what were your stats (GPA GRE?) I kjnow that Art History requires you to get in touch with a prof. so my best bet is to get an amazing topic which Im working on! Thanks for the encouraging words!

Im Applying to.......
    UCLA (in the states)
    Courtauld
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    UCL
    Birkbeck
    Goldsmiths
    Maybe Manchester

ReputationRep:
    hi ArtHistorian,
    thanks for pointing out the weak areas in my profile....i was wondering whether to talk about grades (math in particular) in my personal statement...on one side, there's a probability that they won't notice my poor math grades, or would consider my quant gmat score as proof of my ability in math....in that case it'd not be a good idea to bring my poor grades to their notice...
    but on the other hand, i am afraid that they'' notice my math grades, and expect a justification in my personal statement..

should i talk about those grades, or should i not? the problem is that, as rahulocaty said, it's easy to get a C grade in Indian colleges - half of the students end up with grades in C, D or E. I was told that in the US, getting a C is not so frequent..
    i have, like the rest of you, no idea about whether they'll consider the country and the college when looking at grades or whether they'll just throw the application in the dustbin if the gpa is less than 3.5

i'm planning to get a reco letter from a math professor just in case....

For the personal statement, i'm planning to concentrate more on the course and interests instead of talking about my achievements and myself...i read one of the posts in a thread on tsr by some guy and felt that it's the right thing to concentrate more on the course topics..

and hey, does anyone have an idea as to which is the ideal time to apply for oxford sbs's MFE program?

ReputationRep:
    On the LSE website it says under entry requirements:

India: a master's degree is expected before consideration for entry to a master's programme; exceptionally we may consider direct entry to a master's degree if you have a first class honours bachelor's degree

So there's no mention of grades or GPA. Maybe then you should just e-mail the unis you're applying to and find out what they're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    Im Applying to.......
    UCLA (in the states)
    Courtauld
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    UCL
    Birkbeck
    Goldsmiths
    Maybe Manchester
    ArtHistorian we should trade acceptance/rejection (!) experiences once we've sent everything in. I'm applying to:

LSE
    SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies)
    Kings
    UCL
    Queen Mary (?)
    The first two for MSc in Development Studies, Kings for MSc Conflict Security and Development, UCL for Int'l Public Policy. LSE and SOAS are really tough for those subjects so I'm sending everything in October...so nervous! I got into my college early decision so I've never been rejected before
    Also I spent 6 months studying abroad at Oxford if you have any questions about Oxford student life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    On the LSE website it says under entry requirements:

India: a master's degree is expected before consideration for entry to a master's programme; exceptionally we may consider direct entry to a master's degree if you have a first class honours bachelor's degree

So there's no mention of grades or GPA. Maybe then you should just e-mail the unis you're applying to and find out what they're looking for?

yeah...that's ideally what i am supposed to do...
    but i really don't want to mail them...considering that they've written first class, upper second class or equivalent...
    what if i mail them and they send a mail saying "no, your gpa is not enough" without seeing the rest of the application??!!!
    maybe it's stupidity, but i want to apply and get rejected comprehensively (after they go through my personal statement and application...) instead of feeling dejected and not applying...

i've mailed WARWICK though...and got a reply saying that a minimum of 7.5 is required for India, depending on the reputation of the undergrad univ..

also, shady lane and others.....can i take a 2 month certificate course in mathematics and show the certificate as a proof of my quant skills??

and/or, can i register in a 1 year course in mathematics, and show that I am committed to improving my math skills?? will such a thing help?? or will they not consider it since I havent yet completed it??

ReputationRep:
    yeah...that's ideally what i am supposed to do...
    but i really don't want to mail them...considering that they've written first class, upper second class or equivalent...
    what if i mail them and they send a mail saying "no, your gpa is not enough" without seeing the rest of the application??!!!
    maybe it's stupidity, but i want to apply and get rejected comprehensively (after they go through my personal statement and application...) instead of feeling dejected and not applying...

i've mailed WARWICK though...and got a reply saying that a minimum of 7.5 is required for India, depending on the reputation of the undergrad univ..

also, shady lane and others.....can i take a 2 month certificate course in mathematics and show the certificate as a proof of my quant skills??

and/or, can i register in a 1 year course in mathematics, and show that I am committed to improving my math skills?? will such a thing help?? or will they not consider it since I havent yet completed it??

hey flying color whts up hows application prep is going on ,hey dun worry too much abt maths stuff ,i dun knw if there is any certificates offered like tht,but iit's hold summer workshops in various subjects and i think maths courses are also offered and certificate given ,hows sop work going on ,me got ****ed in gre (reappearing again) ,wht i have heard frm ppl there and my seniors ,they say all top class programmes requires ppl frm different background and they form different application pools and thn selection process is on, i have to take on engg. people i suppose and u shld get ready to take on finance ppl ,diversification funda matters a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahulocaty)
    hey flying color whts up hows application prep is going on ,hey dun worry too much abt maths stuff ,i dun knw if there is any certificates offered like tht,but iit's hold summer workshops in various subjects and i think maths courses are also offered and certificate given ,hows sop work going on ,me got ****ed in gre (reappearing again) ,wht i have heard frm ppl there and my seniors ,they say all top class programmes requires ppl frm different background and they form different application pools and thn selection process is on, i have to take on engg. people i suppose and u shld get ready to take on finance ppl ,diversification funda matters a lot

hi rahul,

my application process is going nowhere...i am supposed to have got the recommendation letters by now..but one of my profs is very busy and he hasnt given me an appointment yet
    and every single day i keep thinking about preparing for the personal statement...but i havent started it yet.....i feel terrible..

and btw, do you know which round is the best to apply for the MFE program?? is it good if you apply early or wait for the second round?? i've read something abt this somewhere but can't seem to remember what..

and how about your recommendation letters?? do your profs write the reco letters or do you have to write them and get their signature?

ReputationRep:
    hi rahul,

my application process is going nowhere...i am supposed to have got the recommendation letters by now..but one of my profs is very busy and he hasnt given me an appointment yet
    and every single day i keep thinking about preparing for the personal statement...but i havent started it yet.....i feel terrible..

and btw, do you know which round is the best to apply for the MFE program?? is it good if you apply early or wait for the second round?? i've read something abt this somewhere but can't seem to remember what..

and how about your recommendation letters?? do your profs write the reco letters or do you have to write them and get their signature?
    ,can't say anything ,i think it doesn't matter whether u apply early or late ,regarding reccos ,profs here tend to write themselves ,let thm write tht would be better.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know how universities allocate places when all applicants are well qualified.

For anyone that's interested, I think these are the reasons I got a Master's place at LSE this year:

1. I have a first class Bachelor's degree.

2. My academic references must have been good - I've never seen them so I can't be totally sure!

3. The Master's is in the same subject as my Bachelor's degree so maybe they think I have more chance of being successful (league table positions must be protected)!

For info, they did not ask me about any qualifications on the application form other than my Bachelor's degree, e.g. A-levels.

Some people I've spoken to over the past year seem to think it's easier to get a postgrad place if you are an overseas student (i.e. not home or E.U.) because the institution makes more money out of you, but I'm a home student and so are many on my course so I'm not sure how true that is.

Another thing to mention is that an academic once told me (when I was an undergraduate) that she was amazed at how many application forms for courses had spelling and grammatical errors and that it doesn't make a good impression.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2015
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.