Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey is there anyone who is going to study neuroscience at cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    Not Cardiff, but Nottingham but nonetheless, fellow Neuroscientist HELLOOOOOO!!!! I haven't found a single Neuroscientist at the Notts subforum so I'm just jumping to threads that says "Neuroscience" there's a similar one in KCL.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm off to Cardiff to study Neuroscience in September. Have just found this forum on the internet . .. . when I went to the open day there were only 2 prospective Neuroscience students there. I hope there will be more than that on the course!

crazy_hamster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_hamster)
    Hi. I'm off to Cardiff to study Neuroscience in September. Have just found this forum on the internet . .. . when I went to the open day there were only 2 prospective Neuroscience students there. I hope there will be more than that on the course!

crazy_hamster
    Really? Only 2!? :eek: there're probably about 30 altogether round Notts, or less - but then again there're two Neuroscience courses going at once, BSc and MSci.

So what're your offers then?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. I didn't mean that there are actiually only 2 people on the course . . I meant I have only met one other person ! I did the IB not A Levels so my offer was 32 points (which probably dosnt make much sense to you unless u know the IB!)
    I was thinking about Notts too. Had an offer for the MSci but ended up choosing Cardiff as my first choice and St Andrews as my second.

crazy_hamster

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. I didn't mean that there are actiually only 2 people on the course . . I meant I have only met one other person ! I did the IB not A Levels so my offer was 32 points (which probably dosnt make much sense to you unless u know the IB!)
    I was thinking about Notts too. Had an offer for the MSci but ended up choosing Cardiff as my first choice and St Andrews as my second.

crazy_hamster
    *gasps* :eek: You didn't choose Nottingham!!! *shocked* ah well I would say that considering I chose Notts :p: Yeh my offer is the MSci too. Did you go to the Open Day? I went to the one in Feb. We might've met if we were in the same open day!!

I have 2 friends on TSR who do IBs so I vaguely know something about the system. Something about bonus points and maximum of 7 points per subject and you do something like 6 subjects??? :confused: Not fair you already know your results I wanna know mine! God help me if I don't get into Nottingham - they lowered the offer for me I got BBB which is only like one grade lower but what the heck!

So what made you choose Cardiff and St Andrews? I never applied to either one - I'm not sure Cardiff did whatever course I was looking at at the time (applied for 5 different courses you see yes I had no idea what I wanted to do!) and St Andrews - my parents didn't want me going Scotland simply cus it's an extra year for the same degree.

ReputationRep:
    5 different courses!!! :eek: sounds interesting! What were the courses?
    I chose Cardiff as my first choice because it is a really nice place and it just seemed like a good plan! And St Andrews (which I should add is about 10 hours on the train . . . from me) seems like a really nice place too. I wouldnt have minded doing the extra year because I thought it would give me more knowledge on biology in general.
    I didnt go to an open day in Notts, had to choose a few to go 2 and Notts wasnt one of them! But it did seem like a good uni and course . .(an MSci in 4 years, not bad!)

crazy_hamster

ReputationRep:
    5 different courses!!! :eek: sounds interesting! What were the courses?
    I chose Cardiff as my first choice because it is a really nice place and it just seemed like a good plan! And St Andrews (which I should add is about 10 hours on the train . . . from me) seems like a really nice place too. I wouldnt have minded doing the extra year because I thought it would give me more knowledge on biology in general.
    I didnt go to an open day in Notts, had to choose a few to go 2 and Notts wasnt one of them! But it did seem like a good uni and course . .(an MSci in 4 years, not bad!)

crazy_hamster
    Lol no 5 different courses really not interesting cus writing the personal statement was a NIGHTMARE!!! and reading back just got completely freaked out that it's got quite a bit of emphasis on Pharmacology, which is what I thought I might want to do - and just realised Nottingham could've easily rejected me!! What the heck, I got 5 offers, only rejection being Cambridge which doesn't rely on your PS anyway :p: (hmm flattering, isn't it?)

Courses were:
    Pharmacology (Manchester, Bristol) AAB, BBB
    Neuroscience (Nottingham) BBB
    Pathobiology (Reading) 300 points
    Medical Sciences (Leeds) BBB
    Natural Science (Cambridge, Emma) Rejected

So yeh - not got much of an insurance offer, which is the only reason why Reading is my insurance even though I do NOT wanna go there. You see I only have 1 Neuroscience course so Notts was my only choice but I'm really glad it's Nottingham I should've applied to all Neuroscience courses, basically, and had Neurosci as my insurance too, instead of Patho Indeed I shouldn't have applied to Leeds or Reading - it should've been Birmingham and Durham (not sure if they do Neuroscience btw)

Hehe I never went to Leeds' open day either - but then again I couldn't make the one they proposed and they never got back to me about another day. Their fault. Awwww how can you not go see Nottingham!?

Heh 10hrs train - you might be better off going on the plane. My sister does it's like, can't remember if it's £30 or £60 or thereabouts now - from Aberdeen She's doing Neuroscience as well and just got invited back to do the 4th yr Where are you then? I'm near Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Nottingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Keele and St Andrews all for neuroscience. I got an offer from them all (Keele was neuroscience and forensics and the rest were neuroscience) I went to an interview at Bristol, open day at Cardiff, couldnt make it to the St Andrews open day and I liked Cardiff so much I didnt really see the point in going to any others

You said ur sister got invited back for a 4th year . . .does that mean that even though you may be accepted on a 4 year science course you will only do 3 unless ur invited back?? If thats right its a bit odd . . .because the first year is just general biology anyway which is extra to all unis outside of scotland (if you get my meaning??!)

crazy_hamster

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Nottingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Keele and St Andrews all for neuroscience. I got an offer from them all (Keele was neuroscience and forensics and the rest were neuroscience) I went to an interview at Bristol, open day at Cardiff, couldnt make it to the St Andrews open day and I liked Cardiff so much I didnt really see the point in going to any others

You said ur sister got invited back for a 4th year . . .does that mean that even though you may be accepted on a 4 year science course you will only do 3 unless ur invited back?? If thats right its a bit odd . . .because the first year is just general biology anyway which is extra to all unis outside of scotland (if you get my meaning??!)

crazy_hamster
    Hehe lol sounds like me - didn't see the point of ringing Leeds up when I was never gonna accept their offer anyway! Awww shame you're not going Notts not that Cardiff is bad but my loyalty lies with Notts (before I'm even there!? :eek: eh!?) The only other uni I'm in love with is Cambridge although I quite liked Bristol too - ooh just remembered - I lied in my previous post just remembered the Manchester offer was AAB NOT worth it for Manchester, sorry! But yeh Manchester and Bristol would've been my insurance if only their offers were lower! (gonna go edit my previous post after this!)

You get a degree after 3 years and the 4th yr is honours And yeh you need to get invited back for the 4th year. This is just Aberdeen btw I don't know if this goes for all Scotland unis! So yeh unless you're invited back, you only do 3 yrs. Yeh I remember my sister having to recap A-Level stuff in her first year - not sure how it really works tbh best to ask my sister lol! BUt then again with the general Biology etc in the first year it's probably just new stuff built on A-Levels - makes more sense especially when A2s will know more than people with just Highers and Advanced Highers people will know more than the A2s! Well maybe not necessarily know more but AHs are harder than A2s and A2s harder than Highers, but Highers are harder than AS's.

ReputationRep:
    I liked Cardiff so much I didnt really see the point in going to any others
    That's cause it's the bestest

Don't suppose you'll know whether you still have first year pharmacol lectures with pharmacy? When I was in the first year a lot of the neuroscience people just used to walk, sit at the very back (right behing me :p: ) and just talk and eat, so annoying!! But then I think a fair few of them had to resit that module and got negative marks in our CAL test.

Anyways, gonna shut up, hope you have a fab time at Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    That's cause it's the bestest

Don't suppose you'll know whether you still have first year pharmacol lectures with pharmacy? When I was in the first year a lot of the neuroscience people just used to walk, sit at the very back (right behing me :p: ) and just talk and eat, so annoying!! But then I think a fair few of them had to resit that module and got negative marks in our CAL test.

Anyways, gonna shut up, hope you have a fab time at Cardiff
    I'm not sure which groups the Neuroscience lectures will be with, but to anyone out there who I may be with . . . I hope not to be 'so annoying' lol.

What is a CAL test?

crazy_hamster

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you won't be

CAL is computer aided learning and for our pharmacology module in the first year (which neuroscience did too) we did a computer test based on the package we'd been studying (guinea pig ileum) ... ties in with the pracs too

All the pharmacol lecturers from the pharmacy dept are fabulous so you'll be in good hands if you do have lectures with them

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure which groups the Neuroscience lectures will be with, but to anyone out there who I may be with . . . I hope not to be 'so annoying' lol.

What is a CAL test?

crazy_hamster
    It says in the prospectus who does the same first year modules. I am doing physiology, and I have the same first year modules as neuroscience (minus psycology). Therefore if I do psycology as one of my optional modules then I am essentially doing the same first year degree as a neuroscience student and can therefore transfer at the end of my first year to one of several degrees (I know anatomy and pharm were in there). Thats why I like Cardiff, flexibility!

ReputationRep:
    hey, wow ive found people actually doing neuroscience, was getting worried that no one was going to do it. i only saw one other person looking at the neuro at cardiff but hopefuly there wil be more. i really liked the uni tho, thought i wouldnt like a city uni but thought it was great in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    Neuroscience at Cardiff is great (I just finished this year). Its not a big course tho only 21 in my year and only about half actually graduate.
    You are lucky as you will be the first year that doesn't have to do Pharmacology in Pharmacy (was a pain as meant thursday was 9-6 with no decent lunch break!!).
    Hope you have a fab time.

ReputationRep:
    ^ What?! DO half drop out? Or change course?

ReputationRep:
    Drop out, change course, resit years after failing..... bit of everything really. Some people do the strangest things ...... one girl left after second year to start a Maths degree!! Slight change of direction!
    Out of the 21 I reckon 15 will graduate - just not all this year!

ReputationRep:
    i've got neuroscience down as my insurance choice! but hopefully i wont need it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi people.

Just wanted to know if you got the grades for your Neuroscience courses??

crazy_hamster

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.