The Student Room Group

Studying in Japan.

Hi! Basically, I've done all my A-levels and things, have a reasonable level of Japanese (I took the JLPT2 this December) and want to know of any routes to studying in a Japanese University at undergraduate level. I know the academic year normally beings in April for Japan, so I'm guessing applying for this cycle would be too late, but if the right opportunities arise, I'm more than prepared to take another year out, improve my Japanese and go to University in 2011.

Anyone's experiences, advice (be it culturally, linguistically, financially etc...) would be very very much appreciated. I have no idea where to start and am finding it quite irritating trying to find a solid explanation of what is actually possible on the Internet. Thanks guys!
Reply 1
Sapientia
Hi! Basically, I've done all my A-levels and things, have a reasonable level of Japanese (I took the JLPT2 this December) and want to know of any routes to studying in a Japanese University at undergraduate level. I know the academic year normally beings in April for Japan, so I'm guessing applying for this cycle would be too late, but if the right opportunities arise, I'm more than prepared to take another year out, improve my Japanese and go to University in 2011.

Anyone's experiences, advice (be it culturally, linguistically, financially etc...) would be very very much appreciated. I have no idea where to start and am finding it quite irritating trying to find a solid explanation of what is actually possible on the Internet. Thanks guys!

During spring 2008, I studied abroad in Japan where I attended Sophia University (Jochi Daigaku) in Tokyo, Japan. You take tests prior to the start of the semester to measure your comprehension of Japanese. Depending on the results of the exam, you're placed in a Japanese language course at your proficiency level.

Do not worry if you're not fluent in Japanese, I was not either which led to my placement at Japanese 1 A level (beginner). Sophia University offers instruction in both English and Japanese. In the liberal arts section, classes are mainly taught in English where your classes consists of Japanese, American, and other international students from various countries.

The campus is commuter where you live in residence halls in the central Tokyo area or in the surrounding surburbs where you commute into the city for school. If you're interested in Sophia, I have tons of information to share more indepth.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
I'm not sure if it works exactly the same way in the UK, but here goes. Basically, you do have to sit for extra exams (EJU - Examination for Japanese Universities). It is sort of like the SATs, but nowhere near as simple. Depending on what you want to pursue in the university, you have to take subject tests. I think you can sign up for these tests and get more info from the Japanese embassy in your area. There isn't anything like UCAS, so you have to apply directly to each university. Look at the university websites for what admission criteria they're looking for. It varies from university to university. Most universities state JLPT 2 or 1 is acceptable, but in truth, a JLPT 1 pass is a lot more desirable.

Alternatively, what you can do is to go directly to a language school. Googling will give you a good list of pretty famous Japanese language schools. It is usually a 1.5 year to 2 year course (will probably be shorter for you since you know Japanese) which prepare students for an education in Japanese university. They cover the EJU examinations, and their studies are very academic based. Graduating with a good grade from such schools boosts your chances of entering a good uni since these schools have good connections with universities and can recommend you if they feel you are a good enough student. :smile: If you aren't very sure how the Japanese education system works this is probably a good option since the school basically helps you to prepare everything you need to enter a Japanese uni course.

Another option is going for courses aimed specifically at foreigners. Waseda has a foreign language department meaning that although you are studying in Japan, your course is in English. I realise (from reading what you wrote) this might not be what you want, but I believe there are less requirements which may make it possible for you to enter in April after all. I'm not sure, please check individual Uni websites to see when they open their application period.

Hope that helped and good luck! What you're doing sounds exciting.

Latest

Trending

Trending