Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting at UWIC in september, doing primary education, however im a little concerned about some of the comments ive read on other sites (not this 1 i mite add, you're all v. nice!!) about 'New' universities. some people seem to believe that attending such an instituate does not class me as a 'real' university student, which kind of upsets me a little . i think theres quite a lot of snobbery regarding these universities, which i feel is unfair. I have chosen to go to UWIC because it has the course that i want and it seems to have a warm, friendly environment, and has nothing to do with my lack of ability to achieve as i have several offers for history degrees at cardiff university.
    Could attending an institute such as UWIC damage my credibility in regards to other university students or have i just stumbled across sites which contain narrow minded forums?

ReputationRep:
    wot the hell is UWIC?! thats my reply and no offense but likely to be the reply of some employers in the future, reputation is everything

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, success isn't conditional to your university. It's important but if you're good at what you do and a nice person you should be fine imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tktaylor6)
    wot the hell is UWIC?! thats my reply and no offense but likely to be the reply of some employers in the future, reputation is everything

University Wales Institute Cardiff :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the reputation is more important than you doing the course you want to do and going to a university that you like.

ReputationRep:
    generally the best teachers go to the older, more established institutions..but warwick bucks this trend :rolleyes:

...its to do with reputation in eduation and research, nationally and internationally,

Mathmo86

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvly_laura)
    University Wales Institute Cardiff :p:
    nice!

also, what gives you the impression that laura is "luvly" :rolleyes: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    im affraid it is, example: a family friend just finished maths masters at leeds, went to hsbc to be an accountant, there reply "you got the grades, but sorry we onyl recruit from oxbridge" its a harsh world but ALWAYS go for rep, its liek how GNVQ is 'eqaul' to 3 a levels, we all know its not in an employers eyes, so really i would take cardiff and not this other thing, i hate to say it but people that say all these 'equal' and 'good course' there lying. spot that and make the right choice.

ReputationRep:
    Just do the best you can, and i'm sure if you received a excellent degree/diploma, nobody could fault you in anyway. Employers are looking for capability, and the university only helps you to acheive this.

Universities "sell" the same product, and i suppose if one is painted gold then obviously people would assume the gold one to be better.

I suppose the difference may be the teaching standard, but its up to you to exploit whats offered to you by the uni to acheive success if this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Its not us being snobs its the recruiters, some of it is justified some isn't.
    I do think it really does make a difference to you getting a graduate job. Alot of recruiters whether they admit it or not do have a top 20 bias towards recruitment and they will wonder why the heck you didn't go to Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Its not us being snobs its the recruiters, some of it is justified some isn't.
    I do think it really does make a difference to you getting a graduate job. Alot of recruiters whether they admit it or not do have a top 20 bias towards recruitment and they will wonder why the heck you didn't go to Cardiff

but taking into account the degree that im doing, Primary education, do you think that it still applies? if i wanted to b a history lecturer then id go to cardiff, but i want to be a primary teacher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    nice!

also, what gives you the impression that laura is "luvly" :rolleyes: :confused:

Cos i am, hee hee! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yep definintely. Even primary is a lot more competitive than it once was.
    My one friend graduated from her PGCE as they did that route in 2002 and shes had loads and loads of work since she finished (she does supply), one graduated in 2003 and it took her a while but now shes teaching in Nottingham but the one that finished in 2004 has had loads of trouble it took her ages to get regular work. So yeah I think anything that gives you an edge makes a difference, and even for primary people look at where you go to uni now.
    Just my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Yep definintely. Even primary is a lot more competitive than it once was.
    My one friend graduated from her PGCE as they did that route in 2002 and shes had loads and loads of work since she finished (she does supply), one graduated in 2003 and it took her a while but now shes teaching in Nottingham but the one that finished in 2004 has had loads of trouble it took her ages to get regular work. So yeah I think anything that gives you an edge makes a difference, and even for primary people look at where you go to uni now.
    Just my opinion anyway.
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    I am attending a new university. According to the statistics, the university that I'm going to have a good graduate starting salary and a lot of people have jobs afterwards. In my opinion, the degree classification along with experience is the most important thing.

One of my parents went to an ex-poly university, and still got a job (45,000 per year).

When I read the prospectus on the uni I'm going to, they have got jobs in good companies.

ReputationRep:
    im affraid it is, example: a family friend just finished maths masters at leeds, went to hsbc to be an accountant, there reply "you got the grades, but sorry we onyl recruit from oxbridge" its a harsh world but ALWAYS go for rep, its liek how GNVQ is 'eqaul' to 3 a levels, we all know its not in an employers eyes, so really i would take cardiff and not this other thing, i hate to say it but people that say all these 'equal' and 'good course' there lying. spot that and make the right choice.
    This is true, firstly becuase GNVQ is worth 5 GCSEs grade A-C at its highest levewl (Intermediate) and the old Advanced qualification was only worth 2 A Levels anyway.

I know its a bit different but I applied for a part time job last year, it was very competetive. It was mostly undergrads applying as you needed to be qualified to A Level computing level and have some university experience. People from Mamnchester applied probably with much better A levels than me.

I got the job becuase I knew more about the job than the other people

So some times if you can demonstrate your knowledge and personality in an interview that counts for more than the university you attended.

Of course going to be a university with a good repuation does help things, but if you want to do primary teaching and you want to go UWIC becuase you think it will make you happy then go for it.

Its better to have a degree from UWIC than to drop out of Oxford in the first year becuase you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    In general with top investment companies and IB's this is true, as when iv been to uni open days they have said how certain firms only recruit from a group of 5-10 unis and theirs was one of them. Also while go somewhere you will be happy, i dont see how you will fully know where you would be happy after just visiting the place once or twice, so go which ever place has the best rep for course and uni.

ReputationRep:
    I can see your point but having studied a BTEC (equiv to 3 A levels) in Computing, I know for a fact (having also studied A Level Computing) that the skills I learnt in the BTEC are much more highly regarded...for example you don't receive certified Oracle training in A Levels, nor do you usually have the chance to study for Cisco and Microsoft certification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    I can see your point but having studied a BTEC (equiv to 3 A levels) in Computing, I know for a fact (having also studied A Level Computing) that the skills I learnt in the BTEC are much more highly regarded...for example you don't receive certified Oracle training in A Levels, nor do you usually have the chance to study for Cisco and Microsoft certification.
    That depends on the college/school though, a lot of places don't offer that chance.

My main problem with A level computing is its academic but some of the content is at least a decade out of date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luvly_laura)
    but taking into account the degree that im doing, Primary education, do you think that it still applies? if i wanted to b a history lecturer then id go to cardiff, but i want to be a primary teacher!
    You turned down Cardiff Uni to go to UWIC??? :confused: What grades did cardiff offer you?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.