Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello. i m buying laptop off net. however they need some verification about me, since I am not on electorate. They(The acer company) want me to send copy of my bank statement and copy of my debit card. Is it reliable to send?

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't send anyone a copy of my credit card in a million years. They could use it to steal from you.
    Ask them if theres any other ID they accept instead. Passport, prov driving license etc.

ReputationRep:
    yer I know thats just stupid. I dont wanna send them. But then it is an Acer company, which makes and sells laptops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    yer I know thats just stupid. I dont wanna send them. But then it is an Acer company, which makes and sells laptops.
    Do you have anything like a citizencard or anything, a lot of people use it and its the Uks main form of identity. It brings other advantages as well besides ID

If not just use your passport, send it to them anyway, all should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    what about sending bank statement?is it reliable?there is account number sort code and balance on my bank statement. is it reliable to send such things?

ReputationRep:
    Well, when you give people cheques, your give a/c number and sort code...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    what about sending bank statement?is it reliable?there is account number sort code and balance on my bank statement. is it reliable to send such things?
    I sent a natwest bank statement off when i set up my abbey national account so i should think that it should be absolutely fine to send one off, a bank statment and birth certificate should be sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    well i ve just sent it.lol.thanks for advise, guys.

ReputationRep:
    **** thats just very ****. they told me that my bank statement doesnt have my credit card number. And right now they just told me i can do bank transfer. So stupid. Why couldnt they just tell me straight away.

ReputationRep:
    buy from a different place?

Its weird how they're so antsy about just a laptop purchase :/

ReputationRep:
    lol, yer. well the laptop there is 40 quid less expensive.lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Well I wouldn't send anyone a copy of my credit card in a million years. They could use it to steal from you.
    Like *******s could they.

Sending them a fax copy of the front of your card is just the same as taking your card into a shop and presenting it to the shop assistant to make a purchase - the potential for misuse is exactly the same - all this company want to do is check the card to make sure that it exists in the purchaser's possession and bares the name on it that is the same as that of the purchaser.

Businesses are not permitted to take photocopies or request copies of the back of credit cards - apparently there is some kind of fine for doing this, but I'm not sure of the law that prohibits it - this is what was told to me by my former employer so could be a load of *******s.

As long as the company that you are using is reputable then I wouldn't hesitate to do it - they are just being careful about who they deal with - after all, cases of fraud cost them money, which increases the price of their goods. The laptop is probably cheaper from them for a reason!

If the company has no traceable record, or is a very new company or has bad reports about it, then be very wary!

but it could be used by someone to irder over the phone or summit. altho its more likely that if you do buy something, the person writes down the details and can then do the same thing. however, if they get a front only view, they wont get the security code

ReputationRep:
    Either way, your covered if you pay by credit card - just ring your card company and tell them that the details were used without your authority.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.