The Student Room Group

Higher/Advanced Higher Prelim Thread

So yes, the time is alost upon us, when I realise that Ie have no idea why a buffer solution works, can't remember how to do differential equations and can't actually speak very much French,with the prelims fast approaching(13 days until my first one and I haven't lifted a book). I'm sure some of you are feeling similarly.

How is your preparation/procrastinaion coming along? When do your Prelims start? Any difficulties?

Post away.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't even know the proper start date of mine... it's in a few weeks though :tongue:

13 days is rather soon, so bonne chance!

We've still to cover Number Theory/Proof, Integration and Sequences/Series from Unit 2 in Maths, so I'm quite concerned about getting that all done in time for the prelim!
Reply 2
CallumFR
I don't even know the proper start date of mine... it's in a few weeks though :tongue:

13 days is rather soon, so bonne chance!

We've still to cover Number Theory/Proof, Integration and Sequences/Series from Unit 2 in Maths, so I'm quite concerned about getting that all done in time for the prelim!

Ours doesn't cover Number Theory/Proof, but we still have to finish Sequences and Series.

SittingOnTheDockofTheBay
I really should be studying right now...

Currently:

Should be:

I know the feeling.:frown:
Reply 3
our maths prelim also doesnt cover number theory/proofs. think my first one is on the 18th, done no revision for any of them so far although i have done some maths/physics throughout the year. can't see chemistry going too well seeing as i also don't know why a buffer solutions works. will predict an optimistic ABC.
Reply 4
Am I allowed to join in convo despite not having to do prelims again this year? :p:
Reply 5
March :s-smilie: But, I can't do maths, english kills me, human bio is ok, chemistry is actually quite scary after having a look at the past papers and psychology is just a case of lolwut

Motivation needed for studyin :colonhash:
Studying for highers...

I'm am sooo screwed. It's not even funny anymore, stupid TSR.

:getmecoat:
Reply 7
22nd January... :eek:

Advanced Higher English - Amazing, no textual analysis just essays since I'm doing creative writing.
Advanced Higher Health and Food - My best subject and my teacher has practically told us what will be in our prelim.
Higher Biology - Sooo unpredictable, not a shock if I fail or get a D.
Intermediate 2 Maths - My second turn so shouldn't be too hard.
Reply 8
xo-Heva
Am I allowed to join in convo despite not having to do prelims again this year? :p:

You may. :p:
Reply 9
ribeena
22nd January... :eek:

Advanced Higher English - Amazing, no textual analysis just essays since I'm doing creative writing.
Advanced Higher Health and Food - My best subject and my teacher has practically told us what will be in our prelim.
Higher Biology - Sooo unpredictable, not a shock if I fail or get a D.
Intermediate 2 Maths - My second turn so shouldn't be too hard.

http://www.graemehigh.com/index.php?page=52

Those are the learning outcomes for biology. Print them off and go through 'em, and tick which ones you know and others that you don't, then study them :biggrin: http://www.oronsay.org/Higher.htm <-- Brilliant for revision.
Reply 10
LuhLah
http://www.graemehigh.com/index.php?page=52

Those are the learning outcomes for biology. Print them off and go through 'em, and tick which ones you know and others that you don't, then study them :biggrin: http://www.oronsay.org/Higher.htm <-- Brilliant for revision.

Oh my gooodness, thanks so much... :woo:

I am worried so much as my teacher is quite loose with his teaching so this should hopefully help me get a pass.
Reply 11
ribeena
Oh my gooodness, thanks so much... :woo:

I am worried so much as my teacher is quite loose with his teaching so this should hopefully help me get a pass.

You'll be fine :hugs:

Also, if you're more the visual learner then this could help with the first unit. It helped me understand protein synthesis anyways :awesome:
Reply 12
Mine are in Feb, so got a bit to go yet :smile:
I actually have been revising this year, considerably more than I though I would do. Unlike last year, where all I did was play call of duty and eat biscuits lol
Bio,Chem,Span,Comp are all going well, I'm hoping to have finished the cw task for computing before my prelim giving me a better idea of what grade I have a decent chance of getting.

English close reading is going quite well too but I'm a bit confused about the writing, since our teacher hasn't even told us what to revise!

Should I just be learning my quotes and analysis?
I have a mock physics exam, which I'm going to fail. Does that qualify me to post in this thread? :o:
Reply 14
jackwka
Mine are in Feb, so got a bit to go yet :smile:
I actually have been revising this year, considerably more than I though I would do. Unlike last year, where all I did was play call of duty and eat biscuits lol
Bio,Chem,Span,Comp are all going well, I'm hoping to have finished the cw task for computing before my prelim giving me a better idea of what grade I have a decent chance of getting.

English close reading is going quite well too but I'm a bit confused about the writing, since our teacher hasn't even told us what to revise!

Should I just be learning my quotes and analysis?

http://www.rsc-ne-scotland.ac.uk/map2learn/mindmaps/Survival%20Guide/Survival%20Guide%203/index.html :biggrin:
TheUnbeliever
I have a mock physics exam, which I'm going to fail. Does that qualify me to post in this thread? :o:

No as you're a smart cookie and are not going to fail. :p: Think positive.
rosie9391
No as you're a smart cookie and are not going to fail. :p: Think positive.

I've tried to think positive, but I'm struggling to complete even a half of the questions I'm set each week. I just can't do it. :dontknow:
Reply 17
Ahh, I definitely don't miss prelims!
Reply 18
Mine and in February and I seriously need to do some english revision given that a week away from school has rendered me practically illiterate
TheUnbeliever
I've tried to think positive, but I'm struggling to complete even a half of the questions I'm set each week. I just can't do it. :dontknow:

:console: It almost always comes in the end, just keep on at it. Plus if it's only a mock then you'll have extra time to revise and get the problems sorted. Can't you get any extra help from your lecturer or in supervision time?

I'm a bit of a hypocrite though as I'm also worried over Geology and the Physics/Chemistry aspect in that. :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending