The Student Room Group

Which University Course has the best job opportunities at the end?

Scroll to see replies

Flying Cookie
Yes, you can become an associate - my mum is an associate. However, even though it might seem as if associates are equal in authority/responsibility, this is not always the case. The owner gets half of your UDAs, so it's in their interest to make as many UDAs as possible. However, this goes against treatment quality as you get less time to treat each patient - so the disputes arise, complaints, etc.

Yeah- the UDA system seriously needs to be changed cos it is making private practice quite an attractive option. I think that maybe I was just lucky not to have been exposed to cases of poor treatment so I can understand now your point.
What degree r u looking 2 study? I c that u have good grades but not that many gcses.:smile:
Reply 61
Playboy King
Medicine will pretty much guarantee a graduate job, and economics statistically leads to the highest paying job.

However, nowadays it's more about the university you're from than the course you do. Point and case, there are graduates of japanese studies, geography, politics etc. from the world's best unis in investment banking - earning more than those who've done economics from good unis in the same firm.

You'd think that on paper, those with economics would be more qualified to do a job like investment banking than those with japanese studies...but because of the unis they are form it changes everything. I even know a girl who did fine art at Oxford and is now being paid £40k a year to train as a barrister at a top law firm.

Other than medicine, where university reputation doesn't really matter...I think just stating a course on its own is not the best way to evaluate, as it varies from uni to uni. Economics from cambridge will put you on track to be one of the highest paying graduates in the country. Economics from Royal Holloway, not so much.

Think again.
Reply 62
AlexCisneros
So long as its a good uni - Law.

Exeter is a good university then?
Mr.E
Think again.

Are you saying that royal holloway economists are the highest paid graduates in the country like cambridge economists?
Statistically this is certainly not the case, not to take anything from Royal Holloway...I've applied there myself but it is far from having the best graduate prospects.
Medicine has like a 99% employment rate so obvi that.
Reply 65
Playboy King
Are you saying that royal holloway economists are the highest paid graduates in the country like cambridge economists?
Statistically this is certainly not the case, not to take anything from Royal Holloway...I've applied there myself but it is far from having the best graduate prospects.

I just think you would be surprised at how well Royal Holloway Economists do in the graduate job world. I think it is quoted somewhere as 25 k being the starting average wage which is well above the average starting salary for a graduate.
Mr.E
I just think you would be surprised at how well Royal Holloway Economists do in the graduate job world. I think it is quoted somewhere as 25 k being the starting average wage which is well above the average starting salary for a graduate.

Did you actually take the time to READ my original post?
I said 'Royal Holloway, not so much' relative to a Cambridge economist's prospects.

Also, comparing it to the average wage isn't exactly the best of measures now is it...considering the average includes graduates of courses that have absolute no positive influence on their job prospects and they end up doing non-graduate jobs.

However, comparing it to the average starting wage for economics graduates, which stands at 23.5k...25k is as near as makes no difference. For an economist, 25k is not exactly 'surprising' seeing as the top graduates get 35-40k. It's good but to challenge my statement that it's not as much as a Cambridge graduate is delusional.
Nursing :smile:
Medicine, there is always a shortage of doctors.
UndercoverChemist
My dad has a degree in Chemistry, he started in the labs. 20 years on and he is a MD of 2 chemical companies. He doesnt deal with any chemistry work now but his chemistry degree got him started. He gets a pretty decent salary and holidays so il say a chemistry degree.

Just out of interest, what does an MD do?
And what does he do now?
Reply 70
Dentistry:yep:
Afaik, medicine has the highest. You are guarenteed an F1 placement, so theoretically, unless they choose not to, it should be 100% job prospects.
kbountra
Yeah- the UDA system seriously needs to be changed cos it is making private practice quite an attractive option. I think that maybe I was just lucky not to have been exposed to cases of poor treatment so I can understand now your point.
What degree r u looking 2 study? I c that u have good grades but not that many gcses.:smile:

Yeah, I only have 5 GCSEs because I started them at college the same year I actually came to the UK :biggrin:

I'm not looking to do dentistry if that's your hope :lol: I don't actually have a definitive idea of what I want to do, but I know it will be something mind related (neuro-, psych-). To be honest I have so many ideas for research and I feel like I want to get started as soon as possible rather than waste time on some degree which doesn't really make that much of a difference to whatever job. I mean, take dentistry - most A level chemistry has nothing to do with it, neither does it have much to do with medicine. So what I want to do is essentially new, to do with neuro- cognitive/biological/chemical stuff, and a bit of attachment theory as well, throw in some psychology models of how information is processed, link it to some diseases, do some studies to prove it, etc.

Also I really want to manage a research organisation, maybe even some counselling/life coaching service.

So much and so little time.
xxxpenguinnnxxx
Just out of interest, what does an MD do?
And what does he do now?

MD is a managing director (in case you didn't know) He pretty much makes the big decisions such as what products to sell, where to sell them, how and where to manufacture them etc. Also plays a big part in who's around him and performances within the company. They don't have a HR team so he interviews most positions. The two companies he's MD for both complement each other, as in one makes a product and that product helps to make another product which the second company sells. He travels alot, which is good and bad. He's seen alot of the world but doesn't see the family for large periods of time. But i get loads of presents :p:
Sharoon123
Dentistry:yep:

:woo:
R u applying this year?
Reply 75
most people seem to be talking about salary, but for holidays/time off, teaching is up there I'd imagine.
Reply 76
Definately teaching, great job satisfaction, amazing holidays, helping the community, working with children, decent pay...Obviously this is not for everyone but I think its a great route to go down
For the opportunity to work in many different professions - Engineering/Law/Economics
PPE at Oxford, in my opinion.

Although medicine is going to lead to a VERY high salary if you graduate etc. A lot of my family members are on six figure salaries after going the medical route.
kbountra
DENTISTRY: Job security, financially rewarding, little stress, practical, diverse specialities- ortho, hospital, cosmetic etc, be your own boss whilst working in a team, future business opportunities

dude, dentistry had the highest suicide rate of any profession

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending