The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Bad things about Exeter?

Hey hey hey!

I'm looking at universities at the moment, and am really REALLY keen on the drama course at Exeter.

However, everything just seems too perfect - the course, the student union, the location (walking distance from everything, and a beautiful campus), the place (near a bustling city but also easy access to the country) etc. etc.

SO, what are the bad things about Exeter, or things that could be improved. I want replies about the course, the city, the university...- anything really!

I'm just trying to get a balanced view.

Thanks, J :smile: .
Reply 1
heylos!

Uuum....balance out the view! Oaksy...
drama...i know a few students who study drama..and theyre all a little um..removed? hehe. Theyre such good fun though...sorry! haha.
The student union...im sure you heard in the news the closing of the chemistry dept. and italian and music? Well...the union did partly well, but also partly shockingly badly..infact, i think the president of the guild took the chancellors side in closing the depts. A lot of people werent half happy. But, for next year its a new committee.
Walking distance...there is nothing to moan about at all. :s-smilie: Everything is within 30mins walk away.
The place...well, if you come from a main city, it may be a bit of a shock for you cos it is smaller. I live in london, and found exeter perfect. Its a good balance. You will find a few street people, but they are working for the issue, and theyre nice people so its ok.
The uni is awesome. It has a small student body, everyones nice, and i sure as hell love it here. :smile:
Hope that helps a little!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Bad stuff:

1. Because its quite small, it can be dull. Many of the clubs close quite early.
2. The students union buildings are a bit run down in parts and need refurbishing (there are plans to do this soon though)
3. Accommodation is stupidly expensive, mainly due to the high sloane population
4. The university have a rather capitalist ethos and tend to rip you off
Reply 3
When i went there on an open day no matter where you walked it was up a hill, it was quite peculiar. I think one was called "cardicac hill" to emphasise my point. However it was very beautiful and clean and the students seemed friendly.
Reply 4
I think referring to Exeter as a 'bustling city' might be a bit... well, wrong. Apart from that, Exeter and the uni are absolutely perfect - I spent three amazing years there and I wouldn't change anything about it.

Although it was perfect for me, it depends what you're after. If you want a 24-hour party city, you might be disappointed, although the atmosphere is so friendly you can always find someone to drink with until the early hours.

And, re the hills, yes Exeter is quite a hike, but only when you compare it to London. Coming from Plymouth, I hardly noticed them.
Reply 5
- Stuff closing early (may be a bit better soon due to licensing act). It'll be a bit of a shock if you're used to Sheffield's nightlife/size. High street is ghost town at night due to it just being a load of chain stores and everyone being down the other end or down the quay.
- Upper-middle class ponces. Everywhere. Many circles where your personality is just defined by what sports clubs you're a member of.
- Hills, sometimes.
- The students' union is pretty awful. Just 2 club nights a week in a big hall with no real atmosphere and the drinks aren't particularly cheap. Little catering for alternative tastes.
- The campus is nice and green, but most of the buildings are actually pretty ugly.
- The Christian Union.
Maddock
- The Christian Union.

lol, so true!

Love Katy***
ickle_katy
lol, so true!

Love Katy***

Why? Whats wrong with the CU?
It has a reputation for basically being a cult....and from my experience, its not far from the truth!

love Katy***
Yep, they will try and recruit you in Freshers week. Run away!
Evil Muffin
Yep, they will try and recruit you in Freshers week. Run away!

Although not restricted to freshers week......they tried to get me at christmas!

Ha, but im strong will'ed!!

love Katy***
Maddock
- The Christian Union.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :p: Nothing I love more than good old Religion Bashing!
Reply 12
I'm coming down to exeter as a pgce student. Anyone have any suggestions of where I can find accomodation for 11 weeks? bit of a nightmare! :eek:
Also, do pgce students have time to make friends and have a life? I'm under the impression the course is pretty intense!

Latest

Trending

Trending