The Student Room Group

I hate it when people say "RIP"

Poll

Do you hate RIP?

Anyone else. I actually find it really offensive that people can't think of anything more meaningful or original to say to somebody's death than "RIP". It's a stupid cliche and the fact that people can't even be bothered to write "rest in peace", just "RIP".

I'd actually rather have a 50 year old obese Texan sodomise my corpse than have a load of people joining a facebook memorial group just to put ":frown: RIP m8 xxxxxx".

Does this annoy anyone else, because everyone seems to do it....everyone. :mad:
Reply 1
Tbh I wouldnt get too upset about it, id be more concerned about the person Id lost. If people cant be bothered writing anymore than RIP, its their problem
I don't like it either. The reason I don't like it is because when it's typed like RIP I see it as someone shouting RIIIIIIPPPPPP which to me just sounds brutal. I know it's silly and pedantic but to me it's completely lost its meaning :\
What if it makes me succinct and sincere and want to bash the bishop with furious anger and a heavy fist?

I think there should be more options!
AccioJellyBean
I don't like it either. The reason I don't like it is because when it's typed like RIP I see it as someone shouting RIIIIIIPPPPPP which to me just sounds brutal.

:sadnod: My first experience of the term was playing Hogs of War on the PS1 when I was about 6, and when a Hog died "RIP" came up, but I just thought it meant shouting "Rip" and that that had some particular meaning, and I've never really seen it any differently even after learning its actual meaning.
Reply 5
You shouldn't be saying RIP if you didn't know them, unless their life was genuinely :snow::snow::snow::snow:.

The only thing you should say when a stranger dies is that it's a shame they had to die, but everyone dies.

There's no need to carry on like a soppy :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: if you didn't know them, cos everyone just talks as if they're really sad and it's affected them when in a few hours they'll be back to normal.

It's like a slap in the face for the family of the person who died.
Reply 6
I was more offended and bemused by people in America suddenly being sad and they + the media mourning on Princess Diana-like levels, everyone saying "RIP" of course, when Anna Nicole Smith died.
Reply 7
Damn can't believe this got moved to chat (._.)
God forbid you get real problems in your life brah......
Reply 9
Dude Where's My Username
God forbid you get real problems in your life brah......

Shup.
well i can think of worse things to say than RIP and i can't say it's really annoyed me that much.
Another 13 year bump! That's at least three this week.
Original post by OGC
I'd actually rather have a 50 year old obese Texan sodomise my corpse than have a load of people joining a facebook memorial group just to put ":frown: RIP m8 xxxxxx".

Hilarious 😂
I totally agree though. The phrase annoys me alot. It really annoys me when people don't even say it like an acronym, spelling out the letters they just say like rip like it's a word. Very insincere
this thread is 13 years old

RIP

:frown:
RIP LOL

Latest