Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4674675.stm

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Good, they need a hard hitting image to get people to see just how useless the government it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Good, they need a hard hitting image to get people to see just how useless the government it.
    Useless in what respect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Useless in what respect?
    I was just about to ask that, you beat me to it!

ReputationRep:
    Political opportunism at its sickest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4674675.stm

:rolleyes:
    An excerpt from your link..............
    Margaret Hodge, Labour MP for Barking, said: "It is despicable that the BNP is using what was an enormous shock and tragedy for Londoners to try and lay the blame on ethnic minorities."
    Do you think ethnic minorities are to blame??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Useless in what respect?

ReputationRep:
    Argue and leave... it's like guerilla trolling.

ReputationRep:
    I was just about to post a thread on this after hearing about it last night:

It is absolutely sick that the BNP are trying to use such a terrible event after such a short period of time just to gain a few extra votes especially as a seat in East London, it is likely that there are people in the ward that saw it first hand and were possibly even injured but then again, what else would you expect from the BNP?

In the words of the emergency servivices after the attack "shocked but not surprised".

ReputationRep:
    A few weeks ago, people were using pictures of dying African kids to further their political agendas. For years we have had anti-war groups showing the coffins of servicemen, while their adversaries rely on the images of the burning twin towers. Do you condemn them, too?

What is contemptible about this is the way the BNP blanket-bomb large numbers of people with blame without justification, and suggest this guilt justifies apartheid-like legislation.

When Mr. Griffen said "The Labour Party for years has allowed Islamic extremists to preach in mosques in Britain and use them to recruit people to their cause. It is the Labour Party to blame.", he implies that these Islamic extremists should not be allowed to preach anything they like in mosques. He is a critic of the Religious Hatred proposals, because it would limit what critics of Muslims are allowed to say. Assuming he has changed his mind on this, I deduce that he wishes to strip free speech of select individuals, their applicability dictated by their ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    A few weeks ago, people were using pictures of dying African kids to further their political agendas. For years we have had anti-war groups showing the coffins of servicemen, while their adversaries rely on the images of the burning twin towers. Do you condemn them, too?
    They aren't remotely comparable. Showing pictures of dying African kids to further anti-poverty political agendas is appropriate; the images convey what they're campaigning against. Showing a picture of a blown up bus to further anti-ethnic minority political agenda (a fair inference to make, considering its the BNP) isn't appropriate; ethnic minorities as a whole were not responsible for what the image conveys.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

And cos you keep asking, and I haven't checked this thread for a while so that why I haven't answered, the government is useless in the fact that they never appear to take any action at all. It's all talk and no action, and this needs to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Ethnic minorities form about 8% of our population, approximately 4.8 million people. How can you blame 4.8 million people for the crimes of but a few?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    When Mr. Griffen said "The Labour Party for years has allowed Islamic extremists to preach in mosques in Britain and use them to recruit people to their cause. It is the Labour Party to blame.", he implies that these Islamic extremists should not be allowed to preach anything they like in mosques. He is a critic of the Religious Hatred proposals, because it would limit what critics of Muslims are allowed to say. Assuming he has changed his mind on this, I deduce that he wishes to strip free speech of select individuals, their applicability dictated by their ethnicity.
    Incitment to violence is not covered by free speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Pictures of the twin towers and starving African kids: Yes they are sick and I condemn them too however, I'm not sure if the twin tower pictures were being used while people were still worried about their loved ones. Incidentally, the BNP were one of the partings taking advantage of the suffering in Africa and I can't actually think of any others unless you count people like Bob Geldof which I am not counting because they are showing them in an attempt to stop the suffering

ReputationRep:
    Ethnic minorities form about 8% of our population, approximately 4.8 million people. How can you blame 4.8 million people for the crimes of but a few?
    No I don't blame all ethnic minorities, I'm saying when (if) they find out who bombed London, I would be astounded if they were white. I will apologise if they are but I don't think I'll need to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    No I don't blame all ethnic minorities
    Which is it? By saying 'yes, ethnic minorities are to blame', you're saying just that: that all members of ethnic minority groups are to blame.

You're right, it probably won't be a group of white people responsible for this. That doesn't however mean that "ethnic minorities are to blame".

ReputationRep:
    Take "about" very lightly.

In the 2001 census, 13% of people were't white Britons alone. I should imagine this has increased since then.

It's definately gone up by 1% with the revelation that 570,000 illegal immigrants are in this country, alone, just a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    Which is it? By saying 'yes, ethnic minorities are to blame', you're saying that all members of ethnic minority groups are to blame.
    Douglas didn't initially ask if 'all ethnic minorities' were to blame so both my answers make sense. We obviosly interpreted the question differently.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.