Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    having read their stated manifesto on their website, i agree with the majority of it, as i suspect most people would if they read it in "neutral mode".

if they just stuck to it and got rid of the more racial overtones, they'd be onto a winner.
    Could you tell us the main policies which you agree with?

ReputationRep:
    Well i can see their point. That isn't really wrong to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Well i can see their point. That isn't really wrong to do that.
    Good taste? Respect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Good taste? Respect?
    Its a bus. Its not like they showed pictures of injured or dead people.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bus.
    Clearly it symoblizes so much more though. Photos of the burning twin towers - "just a couple of buildings on fire"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Could you tell us the main policies which you agree with?
    since the last time i viewed their site they've altered the layout. they used to have a single list of core policies that were on a webpage. now they only seem to have a series of PDF's for different elections that are altered to reflect the issues of that area or election.

ReputationRep:
    Good taste? Respect?
    most parties were at that sort of thing at the election. its just what you find acceptable or appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    most parties were at that sort of thing at the election. its just what you find acceptable or appropriate.
    I by no means condone the behaviour of most parties either, though I can't think of anything any of them did that's truly comparable to this in terms of lacking taste / political opportunism.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bus. Its not like they showed pictures of injured or dead people.
    Are you serious? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I by no means condone the behaviour of most parties either, though I can't think of anything any of them did that's truly comparable to this in terms of lacking taste / political opportunism.
    ever considered that that was the point of doing it?

by talking about it and displaying your dislike, you've actually become their pawn.

ReputationRep:
    ever considered that that was the point of doing it?

by talking about it and displaying your dislike, you've actually become their pawn.
    They did it to gain support, not piss people off further.

ReputationRep:
    Galloway blamed America for the attacks right after they happened.

ReputationRep:
    They did it to gain support, not piss people off further.
    pissing people off is very much a tactic they employ. they know, as all parties do, that there are people who dont agree, and most likely never will agree, with what they say. you are the "lost hope", and as they wont persuade you, they will just piss you off instead.

ReputationRep:
    pissing people off is very much a tactic they employ. they know, as all parties do, that there are people who dont agree, and most likely never will agree, with what they say. you are the "lost hope", and as they wont persuade you, they will just piss you off instead.
    I'm not sure that parties will spend valuable resources on things solely to piss off people that won't vote for them anyway. This was done purely to gain votes, and I'm sure most people will be able to see through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Galloway blamed America for the attacks right after they happened.
    Hadn't heard about that. Needless to say, disgraceful political opportunism on the part of George Galloway is not something that surprises me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that parties will spend valuable resources on things solely to piss off people that won't vote for them anyway. This was done purely to gain votes, and I'm sure most people will be able to see through it.
    most people will...

but look at where the BNP was 10 years ago in elections, and look at where they are now.

ReputationRep:
    most people will...

but look at where the BNP was 10 years ago in elections, and look at where they are now.
    Yeah, but I don't think we can just put that down to adverts such as this. If anything, adverts like this will just serve to alienate 'swing voters' - especially now that the BNP are better known.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I don't think we can just put that down to adverts such as this. If anything, adverts like this will just serve to alienate 'swing voters' - especially now that the BNP are better known.
    it might alienate them.

but at the same time you could be wrong. it might attract more.

what generally happens is people, such as yourself, actively and relentlessly criticise a party, which drives its members (and voters) into a sort of "underground" state. most of them wont admit to you that are a BNP voter or a BNP supporter, but they also know their ballot is secret and not known. such criticism and attack in recent years hasnt weakened the BNP. its votes are up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    I just get annoyed at how much attention the BNP get on this site. The BNP have no significant political power yet they are so often attacked that anyone would think they were about to form a government!

More attention should be given to the government.
    Well, some (caveat lector) did criticize Blair for exploiting the terror for the sakes of PR.

World terrorism isn't down to the Muslim faith. Not all Muslims are terrorists, are they? Furthermore, not all terrorism is linked to Muslims. It may be worth thinking about what you say before calling anyone a "cretin".
    I don't know, Muslims terrorism might be down to the Muslim faith and its leaders, or even the majority of Muslims themselves. The simple way that these supposed words of God and the dominant scholars who interpret them are immune to criticism is surely a flaw that justifies all flaws. I suspect the west would be as much a dump as the middle-east if we believed the last words on lifestyle, politics and philosophy were written 1200 years ago, too.

Then we have the added dimension that a large number of Muslims (even in the west) have great difficulty denouncing terror done in their name, without having to transfer some of the blame to someone else (Israelis, something a Christian did in the 19th century, etc.). If the standard Western opinion on antisemitism was something like “Antisemitism is bad, but don't forget some Jews hate gentiles, too”. Rather than being a faux-pas - as it is now - it would become just another slightly crazy, rebellious lifestyle choice, like being a man with long hair.

As for the “All terrorists are Muslim!”, “No they're not!” exchange: All terrorists currently fighting the anglosphere are Muslims, excluding a few anarchist and/or weird child computer hackers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Good, they need a hard hitting image to get people to see just how useless the government it.
    your sig is encouraging. I like the gung ho spirit.
    but your posts are full of rediculous extremist assertions.
    edit: This isnt an argument about the BNP. It is an argument over their poor taste in advertising pictures...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.