Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Yes

And cos you keep asking, and I haven't checked this thread for a while so that why I haven't answered, the government is useless in the fact that they never appear to take any action at all. It's all talk and no action, and this needs to be changed.
    Well let the BNP take charge. Let all people not english be kicked out the country, then that would start even more trouble causing more bombings. The bombing was inevitable. They cannot stop everything you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Ok you win this round. I have mixed feelings though-on the one hand there is the question of free speech; the other that they are inciting violence. I guess its because it's mixed with the subject of religion, and I find the arrest of religious figures just for what thye preach hard to swallow. Call me a liberal pussy if you want...
    Free speech was never meant to be absolute. Do you think a person who shouts "fire" in a crowded theater is protected by free speech? How about someone who knowingly makes false statements about someone, thereby harming them economically?

ReputationRep:
    Hold on! My point was that it is not as if the government has not done anything to prevent Thursday's attacks. Perhaps they should have arrested those clerics, but the government has clearly made an effort to make this country more secure, even if I do not agree with the measures taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    Well let the BNP take charge. Let all people not english be kicked out the country, then that would start even more trouble causing more bombings.
    Exactly - I know I wouldn't leave without kicking and screaming if the BNP tried to remove me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    They aren't remotely comparable. Showing pictures of dying African kids to further anti-poverty political agendas is appropriate; the images convey what they're campaigning against. Showing a picture of a blown up bus to further anti-ethnic minority political agenda (a fair inference to make, considering its the BNP) isn't appropriate; ethnic minorities as a whole were not responsible for what the image conveys.
    The BNP are supposedly bieng condemned because they are using pictures of suffering to further their political cause, just like the others. It's really the cause that the condemners don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Hold on! My point was that it is not as if the government has not done anything to prevent Thursday's attacks. Perhaps they should have arrested those clerics, but the government has clearly made an effort to make this country more secure, even if I do not agree with the measures taken.
    The government did nothing to prevent the brainwashing of its own citizens by Islamist preachers like al-Masri, and the people who were brainwashed by these preachers are likely responsible for the London attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    The BNP are supposedly bieng condemned because they are using pictures of suffering to further their political cause, just like the others. It's really the cause that the condemners don't like.
    I can assure you that Labour isn't using a picture of an exploded bus on the leaflets I was delivering today.

ReputationRep:
    If there were no wicked lunatics in the world, we wouldn't have had to go fight in Iraq. If the terrorists had half a brain, they'd see we were right. It's the fault of the terrorists, no one else. I think Tony Blair has a damn difficult job and he does well. That's not to say I wouldn't mind a change, as I'm pretty conservative, but I think he's done good things for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Incitment to violence is not covered by free speech.
    If they are directly calling for violence, I believe laws already are in place to tackle that. The new laws seek to ban hate bieng spread from within both ethnic minorities and the ethnic majorities, limiting both radical clerics and radical "islamophobes". By following the mainstream critique of religious hate legislation, while at the same time saying that they want religious hate legislation (but for Muslims only), it is obvious they are advocating different laws for different ethnic groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    The government did nothing to prevent the brainwashing of its own citizens by Islamist preachers like al-Masri, and the people who were brainwashed by these preachers are likely responsible for the London attacks.
    These people aren't idiots. They clear made a choice to go and commit these acts. I don't like the term 'brainwashing', and reckon they would have had a predisposition to want to commit these acts anyway. I know the injustices that the first world causes, upon Muslims and other peoples. I'm aware of the doctrine these clerics preach. Yet I for one would not attack innocent civilians.

ReputationRep:
    That's sick. The BNP are just desperate. Only a group such as them, with no moral standards, would try to use a tragic situation such as this, to promote their campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Once again, it's different.

Pictures of African kids dying of poverty - designed to shock people into action.. about poverty.

Pictures of a bus blown up by Islamic extremists - designed to shock people into action about Islamic extremists? No. Designed to shock people into action against all ethnic minorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    Douglas didn't initially ask if 'all ethnic minorities' were to blame so both my answers make sense. We obviosly interpreted the question differently.
    Yet another mug tooken in by racist bnp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    I can assure you that Labour isn't using a picture of an exploded bus on the leaflets I was delivering today.
    Just like the other causes I've mentioned already, I meant. Pictures of suffering are used by poverty awareness, pro-war, anti-war, and bizarrely every other political cause that can be linked to some form of suffering. Suffering inspires emotion, emotion inspires action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Just like the other causes I've mentioned already, I meant. Pictures of suffering are used by poverty awareness, pro-war, anti-war, and bizarrely every other political cause that can be linked to some form of suffering. Suffering inspires emotion, emotion inspires action.
    Perhaps, but it makes me cringe... I hate the fact that suffering and disasters are used as an opportunity for political change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Once again, it's different.

Pictures of African kids dying of poverty - designed to shock people into action.. about poverty.

Pictures of a bus blown up by Islamic extremists - designed to shock people into action about Islamic extremists? No. Designed to shock people into action against all ethnic minorities.
    Why does that contradict what I've said? You condemn the BNP but not L8 because:
    You like anti-poverty campaigns
    You don't like anti-Muslim campaigns

ReputationRep:
    "maybe now it's time to start listening to the BNP"

ha. i laughed at that. it will never be time to start listening to the BNP. Idiots.

btw Griffin's a ****...who let him out of prison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Why does that contradict what I've said? You condemn the BNP but not L8 because:
    You like anti-poverty campaigns
    You don't like anti-Muslim campaigns
    .. and is that not an acceptable position from which to make judgements?

Nonetheless, there's still the issue of suitability between image used and agenda pushed. An anti-poverty agenda may suitably use an image of a poverty-stricken child. An anti-Muslim agenda may not suitably use an image of the blown up bus, because the bus was not blown up by the millions of Muslims living here, it was blown up by four extremist terrorists. If it were merely trying to push an anti-terrorism agenda, it would be suitable.

I'm not sure why you're struggling to see the difference.

ReputationRep:
    i know you won't but i know for a fact that their are hundreds of moronic people that will be influenced...

look at live 8. due to their campaign most people think only africa a problem and that it was our fault for not doing anything else to help - they forgot to mention just how corrupt the ruling governments are!!!

ReputationRep:
    So kicking Muslims out of the country etc etc. Will stop Islamic extremists attacking us through hatred. bwahahahaha

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.