Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hjmorgstew)
    just as a few years ago you could say the the IRA and supporters of sinn fein were a threat to the UK, it can now be said that members of the muslim faith is a threat.
    You're right to say that a few years ago you could say that the IRA and supporters of Sinn Fein were a threat to the UK, but you would be wrong to say that a few years ago, Catholics were a threat to the UK.

Apply the same logic to Muslims. You'd be right to say that supporters of terrorism are a threat to the UK, not Muslims. There is a difference, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    But Islam is the faith most clearly associated with mass terrorism.
    So? At the end of the day, the BNP's main aim is to spread hateful propaganda about those they consider inferior to them. I would say that they are more concerned with making all Muslims look bad than they are with the actual bombings. Its just an easy way to make people fear (and then begin to hate) Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    You're right to say that a few years ago you could say that the IRA and supporters of Sinn Fein were a threat to the UK, but you would be wrong to say that a few years ago, Catholics were a threat to the UK.

Apply the same logic to Muslims. You'd be right to say that supporters of terrorism are a threat to the UK, not Muslims. There is a difference, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
    I like you!! You take the words right out of my mouth in such a concise manner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    I like you!! You take the words right out of my mouth in such a concise manner!
    Why thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Catholics were a threat to the UK, most definitely. In fact, i would go as far as saying that religion itself is a threat. Religions are generally followed by people of a low intelligence, and when you combine this with the stupid teachings of afterlife, you are bound to get trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    ....in the 21st century. In the 20th century, it was communism, before that it was xianity under imperalism. Whats your point?
    That it is a problem with modern Islam just as there was a problem with soviet communism and old christianity.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Catholics were a threat to the UK, most definitely. In fact, i would go as far as saying that religion itself is a threat. Religions are generally followed by people of a low intelligence, and when you combine this with the stupid teachings of afterlife, you are bound to get trouble.
    When you run your mouth off like that, you're bound to get in trouble! I'm an atheist, but I respect other people's beliefs, no matter what I think of them myself.

ReputationRep:
    Of course religion is to blame. If nobody believed the ridiculous and obviously false lies about the afterlife then maybe people would value life a bit more, the lives of others and even their own lives in the case of suicide bombers.
    Other Muslims believe in the afterlife, but they don't blow themselves up in this way. So no, I don't think you can say it's just the religion.

If Denmark (prosperous, democratic, etc) was a Muslim country, do you genuinely think that it would produce suicide bombers, just because they're Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Catholics were a threat to the UK, most definitely.
    Wake up, Walsingham. We weren't living in Elizabethan England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    So? At the end of the day, the BNP's main aim is to spread hateful propaganda about those they consider inferior to them. I would say that they are more concerned with making all Muslims look bad than they are with the actual bombings. Its just an easy way to make people fear (and then begin to hate) Muslims.
    Oh no, I find the BNP campaign to be distasteful and misleading but I was simply commenting on the link between terrorism and modern Islam as I see it.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Religions are generally followed by people of a low intelligence, and when you combine this with the stupid teachings of afterlife, you are bound to get trouble.
    How narrow- minded of you to think that religious people are not intelligent :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Other Muslims believe in the afterlife, but they don't blow themselves up in this way. So no, I don't think you can say it's just the religion.

If Denmark (prosperous, democratic, etc) was a Muslim country, do you genuinely think that it would produce suicide bombers, just because they're Muslims?
    why would it not?

ReputationRep:
    the UK is prosperous and democratic, and it produced suicide bombers. this alone shows that it is the muslim faith that is to blame and not the nation. just shot yourself int he foot there.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    Well you have nothing whatsoever to back that up with, so I'm not going to take you seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    why would it not?
    Because most Muslims have not been indoctrinated.

ReputationRep:
    the UK is prosperous and democratic, and it produced suicide bombers. this alone shows that it is the muslim faith that is to blame and not the nation. just shot yourself int he foot there.
    Hardly, although I acknowledge I should have been more specific. By 'producing suicide bombers', I was speaking more generally; i.e., being a true hotbed for Islamic terrorism.

The point I'm trying to make is: terrorism is most likely to come about in underprivelieged conditions, irrespective of faith.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have nothing whatsoever to back that up with, so I'm not going to take you seriously.
    i have backed it up, had you not been so impatient

ReputationRep:
    The point I'm trying to make is: terrorism is most likely to come about in underprivelieged conditions, irrespective of faith.
    Rich countries can afford the armies :rolleyes: they don't have to rely on terrorists

I do agree. Think about in our country today. There's more crime among poor people than rich people (violence etc). Perhaps because they're less educated? Jealous? I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    tonight matthew, you are being an idiot, probably as is the case with any other night. The fact of the matter is that muslims are to blame, and possibly the UK should consider implemeting a full scale ban to combat the terrorists.
    Oh yeah, lets ban all Muslims just because of a few fools..

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.