Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    What's your opinion of the British Empire?
    It was a bad thing. We had no right to interfere with other nations. Like it or not, integration of race which have taken thousands of years to evolve is not a good idea as there will always be a clash of interests and values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    can't we just persecute all the crazy extremist ones who are known to partake in terrorist activities? i don't think we should persecute innocent people, we're not living in world war 2.
    well, if we were to persecute (so to speak) the innocent, then people would be afraid to step out of line, and we would live in harmony. Surely this is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hjmorgstew)
    It was a bad thing. We had no right to interfere with other nations. Like it or not, integration of race which have taken thousands of years to evolve is not a good idea as there will always be a clash of interests and values.
    Perhaps to someone as narrow- minded as you. But not to most people. It called having a bit of respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hjmorgstew)
    At least you're consistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwight66)
    well, if we were to persecute (so to speak) the innocent, then people would be afraid to step out of line, and we would live in harmony. Surely this is a good thing.
    It would also involve living in a police state devoid of liberty.

Yeah, sounds like a great thing.

ReputationRep:
    Would you mind being incarcerated for no reason just to be a deterrent for others?

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, I would love to sit and argue but i have a plane to catch! See you in a week!

ReputationRep:
    It would also involve living in a police state devoid of liberty.

Yeah, sounds like a great thing.
    i am glad you are coming to your senses.

ReputationRep:
    A number of factors I'm sure. If I knew for sure, I wouldn't be sitting here. However, I refuse to simply blame the situation on the fact that "they're Muslims".
    No, of course not. That is far too simplistic.
    It can, however, be argued that their political situation and terrorism can be blamed on the strong influence of Islam on the state and the population. In the same way the Europe of the Middle Ages could be described as encouraging terrorism because of the strong influence of Christianity. The economic and social liberalisation in Europe coincided closely with the decline of strength of that religion.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like a dictatorship more like.

have fun on hol! :party:

edit: actually it sounds like the witch hunts in the 16th century. and don't get me started on evolution!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    No, of course not. That is far too simplistic.
    It can, however, be argued that their political situation and terrorism can be blamed on the strong influence of Islam on the state and the population. In the same way the Europe of the Middle Ages could be described as encouraging terrorism because of the strong influence of Christianity. The economic and social liberalisation in Europe coincided closely with the decline of strength of that religion.
    I don't doubt any of that, and there's no way I'd ever question the influence of Islam on the state and population as a factor. I was simply disagreeing with the previous posters (one of which has since proved himself to be complete inane) who were simply saying that terrorists do what they do just because they're Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    it sounds like a dictatorship more like.

have fun on hol! :party:

edit: actually it sounds like the witch hunts in the 16th century. and don't get me started on evolution!
    well, if it works, what is wrong with a dictatorship?

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt any of that, and there's no way I'd ever question the influence of Islam on the state and population as a factor. I was simply disagreeing with the previous posters (one of which has since proved himself to be complete inane) who were simply saying that terrorists do what they do just because they're Muslims.
    Because they follow a certain strain of Islam, which other more moderate muslims are not, in my opinion, doing enough to combat and disassociate from.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the millions of people that died for our freedom, that really is a disgusting question. Do you not value your liberty, whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    Because they follow a certain strain of Islam, which other more moderate muslims are not, in my opinion, doing enough to combat and disassociate from.
    Yes, but that's not what the people I was disagreeing with were actually saying, was it?

ReputationRep:
    Because some people don't want to be dictated to..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that's not what the people I was disagreeing with were actually saying, was it?
    No.. I hadn't realised exactly what those people were saying. But you agree with me that the nature of Islam is a problem?

ReputationRep:
    Because some people don't want to be dictated to..
    well, if people step out of line then they can be punished, as i have already said. I really think things would work better this way.

ReputationRep:
    well, if people step out of line then they can be punished, as i have already said. I really think things would work better this way.
    Depends on your definition of better.

ReputationRep:
    weren't you saying before that if someone steps out of line then the entire ethnicity in that country should be punished also?

heres the quote
    Persecution of certain out of line groups, muslims, jews etc, may seem harsh, but in the long run will lead to peace. Without domestic strife, we can pursue gains abroad

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.