Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps if you played it more then you might progress even quicker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Umm... once or twice a week
    Haha, ever been in a ska band ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Perhaps if you played it more then you might progress even quicker!
    To be honest I probably could have done my grade 8 last year but I never got round to it with A-levels... and this year with work I never really got a teacher... hopefully I'll do it at uni.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I probably could have done my grade 8 last year but I never got round to it with A-levels... and this year with work I never really got a teacher... hopefully I'll do it at uni.
    I wonder what I'd be for snare. . . maybe I'll stop by and test myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    Haha, ever been in a ska band ?
    Nah, I don't really like ska.

ReputationRep:
    hehe

Yeah start it again at uni and get proper lessons. Grade 8 in no time!

ReputationRep:
    Can i please join! I play clarinet and piano, and i'm going to take A level Music in September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEAD BOY)
    Can i please join! I play clarinet and piano, and i'm going to take A level Music in September!
    I really don't get your screenname. It's got some . . . interesting connotations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeLboY)
    Im really interested in how sounds work, but more on the physical side. Im an aspiring producer, so I love learning how different sounds are made and the creative process involved, filters, compression, distortion, reverb etc..
    Im not so interested in learning scales and chord progressions. I should take some time out for it really..
    If you want to produce - the main quality required is a good ear. Ok there's a lot of technical stuff to learn - believe me if anyone ever tells you they "know it all" - they're full of ****. I've been in the business all my working life and I'm STILL learning - but to be able to make a good living from what you love doing - what a feeling.
    There's an old cliche for producers and sound techies - "if it SOUNDS right, chances are it IS right". There are myriad tutorials available telling you the "correct way" to do this or that - rubbish. Once you've learned the operational principles, (as you described above), the rest is down to experimentation and your own ear. A lot depends on the software that you use - cubase, sonar, gigastudio, e-magic logic - try to go for a "high-end" package that support multiple vst packs and samples. And don't use a separate loop creation tool - there can be import problems. The four I mentioned enable you to add/edit/mix loops "on the fly" and insert them into your projects. One more tip (if I may). Steer clear of general midi sounds when recording - they're dated and of a poor quality. It's worth investing in good-quality audio samples which you can edit to your hearts content.

ReputationRep:
    i play guitar!!
    can i join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    If you want to produce - the main quality required is a good ear. Ok there's a lot of technical stuff to learn - believe me if anyone ever tells you they "know it all" - they're full of ****. I've been in the business all my working life and I'm STILL learning - but to be able to make a good living from what you love doing - what a feeling.
    There's an old cliche for producers and sound techies - "if it SOUNDS right, chances are it IS right". There are myriad tutorials available telling you the "correct way" to do this or that - rubbish. Once you've learned the operational principles, (as you described above), the rest is down to experimentation and your own ear. A lot depends on the software that you use - cubase, sonar, gigastudio, e-magic logic - try to go for a "high-end" package that support multiple vst packs and samples. And don't use a separate loop creation tool - there can be import problems. The four I mentioned enable you to add/edit/mix loops "on the fly" and insert them into your projects. One more tip (if I may). Steer clear of general midi sounds when recording - they're dated and of a poor quality. It's worth investing in good-quality audio samples which you can edit to your hearts content.
    Cool Edit Pro 2

I wanna join.

I play the piano and the violin.

ReputationRep:
    OK I am just gonna call you pi...or perhaps 180... if you do maths youll know how they are linked

I cant be arsed to recal pi to more than 3sf notmally lol

so your new name to moi is Pi

ReputationRep:
    Cool Edit Pro 2
    Too limited for what I do - great to learn on though.
    Plus they REALLY did themselves a favour changing the name to "Adobe Audition". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    oh god

if anyone can go through the thread and collect all the icons together ill rep em...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blah888)
    huh? are you talking to me?
    3.1415926535 is the name of a member of this forum who posted in this thread. the post was aimed at him

(Youe been made a member nonetheless)

(Original post by MR_JR)
    OK I am just gonna call you pi...or perhaps 180... if you do maths youll know how they are linked

I cant be arsed to recal pi to more than 3sf notmally lol

so your new name to moi is Pi
    are you talking to me?

ReputationRep:
    read the post directly above you

i already answered you

ok i see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me (lol im quoting myself))
    if anyone can go through the thread and collect all the icons together ill rep em...
    anyone fancy the challange?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.