Turn on thread page Beta

The TSR Musicians' Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    SO immature :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    SO immature :p:
    I know. I admit it. I'm really not that immature, it's just Head Boy and Head Master . . . it's just so funny!

ReputationRep:
    OK back to topic! So who's gonna comment on my concerto?

ReputationRep:
    Ill listen in a whil e

ReputationRep:
    Trumpeters! What sort of difficulty do you think this is? I know I play trumpet myself, but I admit I'm not so good, so I'm not sure how good you'd have to be to play this... thanks.
    I'm back in two weeks - I'll score out the trumpet part from this and send it to you, unless you already have it. Interesting piece - where did you get it? Some of the voicing intervals are questionable - but the theme is ok. Too many pregnant pauses. General midi sounds do it no justice at all - I might re-record the thing in audio and send it to you, if that's ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    I'm back in two weeks - I'll score out the trumpet part from this and send it to you, unless you already have it. Interesting piece - where did you get it? Some of the voicing intervals are questionable - but the theme is ok. Too many pregnant pauses. General midi sounds do it no justice at all - I might re-record the thing in audio and send it to you, if that's ok.
    I wrote it, so I have the whole score

You seem to know what you're talking about. Maybe you could help me If you have the time I'd be really grateful if you could post some more suggestions in my thread on it in the gallery.

ReputationRep:
    Ok that's cool. The criticisms I made were purely technical - it's generally pleasing on the ear - like I said some of the voicing intervals are questionable - but the theme is ok - it's MEMORABLE - that's what counts - I'm actually whistling it as I type this. What package did you record it with? You CAN print out scores from some sequence packages - but generally they're not too accurate. I have to say - if you recorded this out of your head - then you've done bloody well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok that's cool. The criticisms I made were purely technical - it's generally pleasing on the ear - like I said some of the voicing intervals are questionable - but the theme is ok - it's MEMORABLE - that's what counts - I'm actually whistling it as I type this. What package did you record it with? You CAN print out scores from some sequence packages - but generally they're not too accurate. I have to say - if you recorded this out of your head - then you've done bloody well.
    I use sibelius so the scores are excellent, but the MIDI's aren't always that great. It's not designed to produce MIDIs.

I had the intro in my head... sorta took it from there really.

ReputationRep:
    I use sibelius so the scores are excellent, but the MIDI's aren't always that great. It's not designed to produce MIDIs.

I had the intro in my head... sorta took it from there really.
    Sibelius..............best scorewriting package around imo - however I find it too cumbersome if I'm only doing say 16 piece big band arrangements (4 rhythm and 12 brass) - so I use the new Encore. Finale's not bad either.

ReputationRep:
    Sibelius..............best scorewriting package around imo - however I find it too cumbersome if I'm only doing say 16 piece big band arrangements (4 rhythm and 12 brass) - so I use the new Encore. Finale's not bad either.
    I'm used to Sibelius. I'm pretty fast on it too so changing now would probably be bad for me. I can use Cubase but usually I can't really be bothered. I don't have a midi keyboard or anything I just use mouse & keyboard.

Besides, Sibelius lets me publish my scores online Mind if I add you to MSN? I noticed you're a professional musician....

ReputationRep:
    I'm used to Sibelius. I'm pretty fast on it too so changing now would probably be bad for me. I can use Cubase but usually I can't really be bothered. I don't have a midi keyboard or anything I just use mouse & keyboard.

Besides, Sibelius lets me publish my scores online Mind if I add you to MSN? I noticed you're a professional musician....
    Please do - I have to go in a sec - early start tomorrow - be nice to chat when I get back if that's ok

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here do any sound engineering/producing work at all? I love playing the drums, but my real passion is composing electronica (DnB, breaks etc.) I have a small studio set up in my bedroom, where I spend pretty much all my free time..

ReputationRep:
    I dont

ive never tried to use any production programs. the best ive done is (with audacity) record a 2 track piece and co-ordinate them.

What is te best program to you in your opinions, for production? Ice seen Sibel;lius and Cubasis in this thread - any otherS?

ReputationRep:
    Sign me up!

ReputationRep:
    I use an old version of Cubase. There are several newer versions, but Im used to the interface of the old one. It does everything I need it to, so I don't see the need to upgrade.
    I tried Logic for about an hour and couldn't get a single sound out of the thing. But then some people swear by it.
    There is no definitive best sequencer. Best to try a few, and then stick with the one you feel most comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    Rammy! Keyboard and trombonerisnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Rammy! Keyboard and trombonerisnt it?
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    youre in!

ReputationRep:
    :party:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keano)
    right..Im a new guitar player, teaching myself (started 6weeks ago exactly today)..things are very slowly coming together as I practice everyday and etc... im off on holiday for 6 weeks , to visit the other half of my family who live in turkey and some mates etc...Im not going to take my guitar as its bulky and etc, its a cheap Squire Tele. so theres 2 options...my bro, who is 12, has an acoustic ( he lives in Turkey) so I can either practice on that, or get myself a so called slightly little travel guitar and take it with me...I dont want to stop practising for 6 weeks as Ive just barely started to learn...so what do I do? whould I benefit from practising on an acoustic (as they have harder strings, therefore itll be good for my fingers) ? any ideas? advice? suggestions?
    thanks
    Oli
    i think acoustics are easier to play anyway, especially if you're learning so I'd just use that.
    It's up to you tho

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.