Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    oh yes. i play a guitar and i am horrible at it. but i like how it sounds. its an acoustic one.

ReputationRep:
    I play an instrument (properly) too. Piano! Obviously the best....
    an I mess around with the violin for fun....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinksmartie)
    Just out of interest, Drogue - how do you manage to play the sax and trumpet... doesn't your embouchure get messed up?
    Never had a problem with it really. I played trumpet for *years*, but never got very good at it. Switched to sax and adapted to that embrouchure, and just play the trumpet occasionally to keep up with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    I play an instrument (properly) too. Piano! Obviously the best....
    an I mess around with the violin for fun....
    you two wanna join?

ReputationRep:
    I want to join. might learn something from soemeone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    you two wanna join?
    yeah that'd be great :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i play the piano and the flute, but at the moment my flute is locked up in a box somewhere after the removal men packed it and i have no idea where it is!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raven~)
    i think acoustics are easier to play anyway, especially if you're learning so I'd just use that.
    It's up to you tho
    acoustic strings are raised higher, therefore easier if you have long finger nails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    acoustic strings are raised higher, therefore easier if you have long finger nails.
    yeah but also, from a wussy point of view, acoustic strings are softer, and so your fingers toughen up with less pain if you're beginning.
    Also, acoustics are easier to get a nice sound out of, especially if you play without a plec, so I think they're better for beginners.
    Maybe not if you start by learning tab and riffs as opposed to chords....

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? I play the piano.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but also, from a wussy point of view, acoustic strings are softer, and so your fingers toughen up with less pain if you're beginning.
    Also, acoustics are easier to get a nice sound out of, especially if you play without a plec, so I think they're better for beginners.
    in my experience, moving from electric to acoustic guitar, the strings were harder, and the acoustic a little more tricky to play because of this. I wasnt too used to the acoustic strings, so treating them as though i was on me electric...

it sounded horrible for all of 2 days untill i sorted it out (a)

ReputationRep:
    why are you playing nylon strings with a plectrum?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    why are you playing nylon strings with a plectrum?

MB
    I'm not - i never use a plectrum, even on electric. Some people play acoustic with a plectrum...
    I just said that if you play without a plec its easier to make an acoustic sound nice.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to play the guitar, but am finding it difficult cos my dads guitar is huge and i can't even get my arm over it. Also i have spent 4 summers trying to teach myself and have only managed to forget the one chord i managed to learn.

ReputationRep:
    Please join me up I play clarinet, tenor sax, piano and guitar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ant93)
    I've always wanted to play the guitar, but am finding it difficult cos my dads guitar is huge and i can't even get my arm over it. Also i have spent 4 summers trying to teach myself and have only managed to forget the one chord i managed to learn.
    itll come in time, i promise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    in my experience, moving from electric to acoustic guitar, the strings were harder, and the acoustic a little more tricky to play because of this. I wasnt too used to the acoustic strings, so treating them as though i was on me electric...

it sounded horrible for all of 2 days untill i sorted it out (a)
    There's no doubt that electric guitar is easier than acoustic, especially if you're using an effect like distortion.

ReputationRep:
    then again ever tried Classical gas on an electric. I find it much easier t oplay on acoustic and easier still on classical.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    then again ever tried Classical gas on an electric. I find it much easier t oplay on acoustic and easier still on classical.....
    It is possible on electric, but it doesn't sound anywhere as nice.

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    i know ive pulled it off very successfully

im just saying that it gets trickier on electric IMO

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.