Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Omg, drum kits are so hard to play. I've been playing violin and piano for over ten years and thought I was pretty well-co-ordinated but I attempted to play my friend's drum kit... Oh, the embarrassment! Let's just say there was a lot of arms and legs everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emonk89)
    Hey, I know that but it's people apart from drum players who mostly hold that view. Admittedly I can't really tune my kit as it has pads on 24/7 and the heads have probably been stretched beyond repair. However, I often hear people who play instruments apart from drums declare that the drum kit is easy to play and doesn't require any skill as, in their view, they aren't "tuned" instruments.

I do, however, get a certain amount of pleasure when they get on a kit and fail to produce a simple 4/4 backbeat, which they earlier said to require no skill.
    I held that view before I learnt to play. In firness I was able to hold a simple 4/4 first time i picked up drumsticks, and 4 way co ordination came soon after. Im good like that

ReputationRep:
    I do, however, get a certain amount of pleasure when they get on a kit and fail to produce a simple 4/4 backbeat, which they earlier said to require no skill.
    Hee hee

I can also provide such examples! I also know one "drummer" who says he knows every Chad Smith beat and *que the requests for a Chad Smith beat* plays a 4/4 backbeat.... EVERY-GODDAMN-TIME! No fills, no hi-hat work, no accents, no ghost notes... PAH!

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I play guitar (bass, electric and acoustic 6 and 12 strings) and drums. I've played the guitar for 7 years and the drums for 2 years although drums is now my main instrument ever since I realised I had a natural flair for it.

Tama Swingstar, Mapex and Pearl hardware, Pearl and Zildjian cymbals, 5A sticks (whatever make)

Jackson Performer, Gordon Smith, Eko 12 string, Fender acoustic, Epiphone SG, GNX2 and RP300, various single effects, Marshall 100 watt.

2 harps (harmonica type)

Battered old piano

I'll try for pictures another time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Tama Swingstar, Mapex and Pearl hardware, Pearl and Zildjian cymbals, 5A sticks (whatever make)
    I seriously need to start thinking about getting a new kit .

ReputationRep:
    Hey Mr JR you missed me out! I asked whether I could join like a week ago or something! Anyway, I play the piano.

ReputationRep:
    Can i be a member

I've been playing guitar for years and love the hell out of it :thrasher:

My guitars an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty (a les paul custom but with three humbucker pick ups) - i play this through a Marshall MG100DFX and it really packs a punch!

There's some picks anyhoo hopefully its worked, laters!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Death, im embarassed aout that.

=D

ReputationRep:
    Heh no problem! No offence taken

ReputationRep:
    We should all post clips of ourselves playing!

ReputationRep:
    ok mr world i shall if i can manage to get my webcam to work proper,like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    That would have everyone in fits of hysterics if I posted me playing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emonk89)
    Hey, I know that but it's people apart from drum players who mostly hold that view. Admittedly I can't really tune my kit as it has pads on 24/7 and the heads have probably been stretched beyond repair. However, I often hear people who play instruments apart from drums declare that the drum kit is easy to play and doesn't require any skill as, in their view, they aren't "tuned" instruments.

To be fair, the drum kit IS an easy instrument to play at an average standard, compared to non-percussion instruments. Not because it isn't 'tuned' but simply because of the actuall skill involved. You don't need to know any theory/scales/chords

My drum kit is fecked, the skins on the tomtoms resemble the face of a mcdonalds employee :eek:

I don't think I have any pics, I havent played in years! I got pics of me on the decks at lifeFM, I suppose I could get pics of me playing a synth in my bedroom.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    how do you record from a webcam? Mine can jsut about take pictures.

ReputationRep:
    Wehay I Play the guitar! Grade 7 standard!

PS AC/DC rock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeLboY)
    To be fair, the drum kit IS an easy instrument to play at an average standard, compared to non-percussion instruments. Not because it isn't 'tuned' but simply because of the actuall skill involved. You don't need to know any theory/scales/chords

My drum kit is fecked, the skins on the tomtoms resemble the face of a mcdonalds employee :eek:

I don't think I have any pics, I havent played in years! I got pics of me on the decks at lifeFM, I suppose I could get pics of me playing a synth in my bedroom.. :rolleyes:
    I meant audio clips

I'm not sure that all webcams have microphones... I just plug a mic into my PC & record from that. Unfortunately it's rubbish so the bass is distorted. I might just start using the line in.

ReputationRep:
    I meant audio clips
    Ooh yeah haha! that would make more sense :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that all webcams have microphones... I just plug a mic into my PC & record from that. Unfortunately it's rubbish so the bass is distorted. I might just start using the line in.
    My drum kit and studio are in two seperate places, that and I don't have a mic. How useless

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please? i play the flute and for my birthday last month my very nice brother gave me a flute book of Keane's album which I love!

ReputationRep:
    Can I join too? I play piano.

Can anyone play The Flight Of The Bumblebee? I'm trying to learn it, and - as much I love it when I get it right - it makes me want to smash my piano through a wall when my fingers get in a twist

ReputationRep:
    I play guitar (badly) and bass (even worse).

Can I join?

Please?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.