Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tried to re-tune my guitar to CFCFAC but i amssively cocked it up. So annoying cos there's somes songs i want to play....

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I play 'cello, double bass and piano and I pretend to be able to play the guitar. Can I join please?

ReputationRep:
    alchemist, dont let it get you down. Exotic tunings arnt the be all and end all of guitar. Just stay in a tuning youre comfertable with and enjoy it =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    We're united under the banner of musicians though
    I'll echo that one. (I slipped in an apostrophe when you weren't looking. ) There has to be horror stories out there of violent knuckle-rapping piano teachers - psychotic drum tutors - a drumkit falling to bits during the gig - music falling over - snapping guitar strings just before "parisienne walkways", as well as what music people would LIKE to play on their chosen instruments as opposed to what they HAVE to play.
    Keyboard players - are you talking keyboards with "1 or 3 finger chords" or are you talking high-end synths or samplers? What do you have? What would you like? Do you excercise?
    Drummers - do you know the difference between a paradiddle and a flam? Do you have difficulty reading drum notation? Can you actually keep time? (jk)

C'mon people - musicians are renowned for gobbing off with each other. Get gobbing.

ReputationRep:
    ok Im a badass bassist. I rule

*sits upon mound of non existant self esteem*

there

ReputationRep:
    I have to learn about 10 jazz numbers for a big band recording in early September. I don't think I can do it; I've never played bass off a score before...

ReputationRep:
    Drummers - do you know the difference between a paradiddle and a flam? Do you have difficulty reading drum notation? Can you actually keep time?
    Yes, I know the difference between the two. I'm much better at paradiddles... probably because it's such an infamous phrase amoungst drummers. I've only just got to grips with flams and I can often be heard going "flamma flamma flam flam"!

I do have difficulty reading drum notation but that's only because I don't practice enough. I have learned to read drum notation (which, by the way, is actually easier than drum tab) but I like to work from ear.

Yes, I can actually keep time! Provided I'm not trying to jam with someone who can't keep time themselves... then it's just a mess!

And how about you Mr? Do you play your instrument efficiently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Yes, I know the difference between the two. I'm much better at paradiddles... probably because it's such an infamous phrase amoungst drummers. I've only just got to grips with flams and I can often be heard going "flamma flamma flam flam"!

I do have difficulty reading drum notation but that's only because I don't practice enough. I have learned to read drum notation (which, by the way, is actually easier than drum tab) but I like to work from ear.

Yes, I can actually keep time! Provided I'm not trying to jam with someone who can't keep time themselves... then it's just a mess!

And how about you Mr? Do you play your instrument efficiently?
    I was using those as examples to try to stimulate discussion - not as implied criticisms.

As to your last question - as a session musician - I guess my royalty payments say I play ok.

ReputationRep:
    naw i can barely slap properly and im not ...oh wait

im a god of bass, better than your face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I have to learn about 10 jazz numbers for a big band recording in early September. I don't think I can do it; I've never played bass off a score before...
    do you mean a "score" or a bass part? If it's a score - why not transcribe the bassline onto a separate part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    naw i can barely slap properly and im not ...oh wait

im a god of bass, better than your face.
    I bow to you - I cannot for the life of me get my fingers round any fretboard whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    As to your last question - as a session musician - I guess my royalty payments say I play ok.
    Git.

I didn't think you were being the criti.... but you're right THIS IS A MUSICIANS SOCIETY!

WHERE'S THE LIGGERS TALK!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    do you mean a "score" or a bass part? If it's a score - why not transcribe the bassline onto a separate part.
    Okay it's a bass part. But when I meant is I'm not used to reading music for the bass. I'd rather just get the tracks on a CD and learn them, maybe with the help of the bass part.

ReputationRep:
    hello fellow musicians!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    hello fellow musicians!
    Im a drummer, but hey anyway

All this flam and paradiddle talk reminds me of the 'sticking' exercises my old tutor used to force me to learn.
    Hated them at the time, I can't thank him enough for encouraging me to practice them (it helps that I tap pretty much 24/7 anyway) improved my speed and technique no end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Okay it's a bass part. But when I meant is I'm not used to reading music for the bass. I'd rather just get the tracks on a CD and learn them, maybe with the help of the bass part.
    If that works for you - go for it, and good luck. Remember though to memorize where the "A" section ends and the "B" begins etc. etc. One problem about memorizing is if, during rehearsals - the conductor says "ok let's go from bar 999"......................get my point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Git.
    .................:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .................that's made my day. ***reaches for tissue again***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeLboY)
    Im a drummer, but hey anyway

All this flam and paradiddle talk reminds me of the 'sticking' exercises my old tutor used to force me to learn.
    Hated them at the time, I can't thank him enough for encouraging me to practice them (it helps that I tap pretty much 24/7 anyway) improved my speed and technique no end
    oh flam? I dont know that one.. Ill get piggy (my bands drummer and my drum teaching person) to introduce me! I can just about managae a paradiddle without cocking it up....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeLboY)
    improved my speed and technique no end
    I don't know about you - although drums aren't my primary instrument - when I listen to the likes of Dave Weckl or Steve Gadd, and realise that those GITS {thanks Kura1984 hehe) can do more with ONE hand than I can do with TWO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    I don't know about you - although drums aren't my primary instrument - when I listen to the likes of Dave Weckl or Steve Gadd, and realise that those GITS {thanks Kura1984 hehe) can do more with ONE hand than I can do with TWO.
    I see that with every band practice.

and notice how when an experienced drumm sais "heres an easy beat" <insert appropriate alternative for im gonna show off now> theyll take the easy drumline, make it twice as fst, ass in mad fills, and generally make it look rather tricky

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.