Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    I don't know about you - although drums aren't my primary instrument - when I listen to the likes of Dave Weckl or Steve Gadd, and realise that those GITS {thanks Kura1984 hehe) can do more with ONE hand than I can do with TWO.
    Heh, I think I could probably still play triplets on each hand at machine gun pace. Although it has been a while.. My finger technique (oo-er! :rolleyes: ) was something I was particularly proud of

JR, the flam is when you play a grace note, followed almost simultaneously by a louder stroke with the other hand. The idea being to get a single 'bigger' note.
    I find this fairly easy to do correctly when playing the grace note with my left hand. When it's the other way round it's harder to get the dynamics right.

One rudiment I enjoyed practising was the paradiddle while counting in triplets. Makes you have to concentrate a lot more

ReputationRep:
    Someone I listen to a lot, still, (drummer wise), is Jeff Porcaro - original drummer with Toto, sadly he died in 1992 - but oh man - what a player imo.

ReputationRep:
    Can i join please?
    I play piano, clarinet and sax (alto and soprano) xx

ReputationRep:
    i play the violin and viola and have done since i was small (im sixteen now), however i have always been interested in cello playing. i was wondering if any1, cellists preferably, could tell me whether or not it would be easy to pickup and progress well on.
    james

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninevah)
    i play the violin and viola and have done since i was small (im sixteen now), however i have always been interested in cello playing. i was wondering if any1, cellists preferably, could tell me whether or not it would be easy to pickup and progress well on.
    james
    My mum played the cello at the RAM and manage a few tunes on the violin, and my old viola teacher was learning the cello without much difficulty, so I think you can transfer the skills. I guess if you already play the violin and viola, you'll be used to spreading your fingers out more etc!

ReputationRep:
    I've played the acoustic guitar for 3 years now. And the electric for about a year. My acoustic guitar was passed down to me by my dad who had it for 30 years since living in Brazil. The electric is an Ibanez S470.
    Now I'm also picking up percussion music. Starting off with African drumming on the djembe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    let us see if I can make a society....

xx_ambellina_xx (oboe, piano)
    YouKnewThat! (Oboe, Double Bass:love: )

ooh fellow oboe players!

ReputationRep:
    I tried an oboe once! Couldn't get a sound out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I tried an oboe once! Couldn't get a sound out!
    Same here, it's really difficult!!

ReputationRep:
    I play the oboe - once you get the embouchure (sp? pah, it's a mouth, whatever my teacher says :rolleyes: ) right it's as easy as any other woodwind instrument.

ReputationRep:
    Oboe players are sexy

Female ones, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I play the oboe - once you get the embouchure (sp? pah, it's a mouth, whatever my teacher says :rolleyes: ) right it's as easy as any other woodwind instrument.
    Ah right. Well I play sax, clarinet and flute so I guess the embouchure is very different to them! I only had a brief go in school, I think if I had one of my own and really tried then I might be able to get a sound.

Not too keen on oboes anyway though.

ReputationRep:
    hello. I play guitar..and piano, and i can play trumpet...all, i might add - badly. and i havent played trumpet for a good few years......thought id say hi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Oboe players are sexy

Female ones, anyway.
    Lol, how?!!

I love playing Baroque music on the oboe. Well did until my braces spoilt it. Grr.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I play violin and piano, used to play the oboe but it was too difficult for me...

ReputationRep:
    there's a chinese relative of the oboe which is freakishly difficult to play. i got one note out but ended up blue in the face...
    i'm thinking of picking up another western instrument... anyone have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    i play the flute and harmonic. used to play the keyboard when i was little. got a guitar,i wanna learn it. can i join?

ReputationRep:
    woo iv found some musicians...
    i play piano trumpet guitar clarinet (and i can even play recorder )

ReputationRep:
    I play acoustic guitar and i also kinda dabble in the drums since my sister plays them and i kinda do a bit every now and then

ReputationRep:
    Wow, there don't seem to be many cellists about!

Can I join? I play the cello, piano and most sizes of recorder.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.