Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i play the piano, but not all that well! did some grades when i was younger, but stopped doing them as part of my remarkably naff rebellion phase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Wow, there don't seem to be many cellists about!

Can I join? I play the cello, piano and most sizes of recorder.
    I would love so muh to jam with a cellist, that is if you do jam at all! I'm sure you don't all read just from tablature!

I'm looking to start a band/project here in Brum but, so far, I've only come across time-wasters, kiddie wannabes and absolute co**heads.
    I'm just about to leave this band I'm in... got sick of three guitarists fighting over 'space in the music'.... and yet there's no bassist! :mad:

Who has any war stories to share?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a specific way to jam? How do you guys make sure it sounds okay?

Forgive my low unicellular intellegence.

ReputationRep:
    If I 'jam' when I play sax, then I just tend to improvise or have fun playing pieces that aren't too difficult with someone and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    updated now im unbanned sorry i wasnt about =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    updated now im unbanned sorry i wasnt about =D
    YAY!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?
    I play violin and keyboard.

Thanksxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    done and up to dated

ReputationRep:
    Oh, by the way I play drums and piano as well as oboe. Don't worry - just if you're updating it any time.

ReputationRep:
    can I join? I play saxophone, clarinet, piano and the penny whistle! (don't laugh, the penny whistle is awesome).

I really want to take up the cello but they're so damn expensive and I can't find a teacher anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking for a teacher try your local music shop or websites where you can search your area for teachers

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaving my first band as a drummer tomorrow! Woohoo! Unfortunately, I got stuck in a band with three young guys who didn't really have 'direction' and I feel far too patronising when I advise them on anything, musically (I played the guitar for 7 years).

I got asked to be in two bands who are getting signed! Ha ha, I had to say no on the grounds that I'm too 'posh for punk'... nah, didn't really. I wanna get my degree and all before I branch out into full-time musicianship.

Besides, I can't stand most of what's out today... all this Kaiser Chiefs/ McFly/The Killers etc just doesn't agree with my tastes.

Anyway, I'm just here for the rant. So far, not much is going on in this society... people just keep joining! :rolleyes:

Bah! I'm going to bed.... just right after I play tetris again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wei_xin)
    Is there a specific way to jam? How do you guys make sure it sounds okay?

Forgive my low unicellular intellegence.
    The best wy, IMO, is to loop something that's fairly simple, melody wise... preferable in 4/4. From there, you can branch out and improvise wherever you like without having to worry about losing your way. You just need a solid backbeat and melody and as long as you're all on the same page you can each sidle off and do your own thing.

ReputationRep:
    ::ressurrects::

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    ::ressurrects::
    Boingy.. boingy.. boingy.. I like your avatar!

Ahem, so what musical adventures have you all gotten up to lately?

ReputationRep:
    Can I join too? My official instrument is the guitar (best instrument ever! why don't we open a guitar society??it deserves to have one of its own!) , although I play a little piano and harmonica too. Just received a pan flute for my birthday so I'll be teaching myself that as well

ReputationRep:
    well my band is practicing again and were organising a gig for the Amersham arms in October 1/2 term (look out for CHALKROOM if thats your scene :cool: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    well my band is practicing again and were organising a gig for the Amersham arms in October 1/2 term (look out for CHALKROOM if thats your scene :cool: )
    What kinda stuff d'you play? What bass have you got - what's your backline? What's your band's lineup? I wanna hear a demo. Do you have a cat called george?

ReputationRep:
    rock and roll
    P-bass. Convential but functional
    backline....what>!?!?!?
    lineup 2 guitars 1 bass 1 drums 1 singer. Pretty conventional.
    dont have a demo as yet were trying to think about organising a recording
    yes. Hes called ted. (yes this is a joke.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    rock and roll
    P-bass. Convential but functional
    backline....what>!?!?!?
    Squier huh? Solid instrument - they used to make good fender copies - is the "P" a copy of fender's precision bass?
    Backline=what you put your bass (or guitar/keyboards/vocals) through e.g. amps and cabinets, p.a.s' etc.
    And have you got a bee named eric?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.