Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?

Classical Guitar (Grade 7)

ReputationRep:
    I play guitar, badly. I also sing, though not so badly

ReputationRep:
    Heh, where do I begin?
    My mum's a music teacher, and she was paranoid that I'd burn the house down or something if I was left alone in the house after school, so she made me wait for her to take me home when I was younger...obviously, I got rather bored, so I began playing all the random instruments that were to be found in the storage cupboard in her room.

Off the top of my head, I can play:
    Piano, Keyboard, Flute, Piccollo, Saxophone, Trumpet, Cornet, Trombone, Euphonium, Oboe, Clarinet, Drums, Chanter, Bagpipes, Guitar, Harp, Clarsach, Recorder, Xylophone, Glockenspiel...various percussion instruments...and there are probably others I've played over the years that I've completely forgotten about. I'm a competent singer, too. Won some trophies for singing when I was younger - came 3rd one year, 2nd the following year...then didn't enter the year after that...probably could have won the two competitions I did enter (the first year, I forgot the words halfway through but managed to recover...and the second year, I wasn't feeling all that great, and in fact I was sick moments before going on stage...to do that well despite not being at my best on both occassions, I'm quite chuffed with myself Maybe I should have entered that third year)

ReputationRep:
    Go you! But when you say you can play..all those instruments..how well?

ReputationRep:
    Varying degrees, obviously, but I can spit out a handful of tunes on any of them...only focussed on piano, flute and voice for music while I was in school (grade 7/8 flute and grade 6 piano), but if someone was to give me any non-stringed instrument (aside from the guitar, harp and clarsach, I've never had much experience with stringed instruments), I'd be able to give them some sort of tune...

And more than something basic like Yankee Doodle, before you start thinking that

My main practice, now that I've stepped away from playing classical music (which I never particularly liked, but still did for flute and piano), is in copying pop songs...I've got a very good ear for music, and always have. Given, say, 5 minutes, I can take an instrument, listen to a piece of music by Evanescence, Dido, Delta Goodrem, Muse or some other artist, and will be able to repeat the tune with minimal mistakes (without ever writing down the notes on manuscript or whatever - everything is done from memory)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, 'play' can be taken in various ways nowadays. Some people take play as can play the instrumet well....others say it as long as they can get a sound or a tune etc.

I know someone who can do that by ear....I can't but I'd rather read the music
    --------------
    Also meant to add that when I was younger ..up until about 14, I learnt the violin and got to about grade 4/5 ish, but I wouldn'y have said I could play it, and couldn't play it now- evn tho I get can get an ok sound and play tunes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    My main practice, now that I've stepped away from playing classical music (which I never particularly liked, but still did for flute and piano), is in copying pop songs...I've got a very good ear for music, and always have. Given, say, 5 minutes, I can take an instrument, listen to a piece of music by Evanescence, Dido, Delta Goodrem, Muse or some other artist, and will be able to repeat the tune with minimal mistakes (without ever writing down the notes on manuscript or whatever - everything is done from memory)
    Well that's like being able to balance a spoon on your nose - quite impressive, but not particularly useful... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Well that's like being able to balance a spoon on your nose - quite impressive, but not particularly useful... :p:
    So long as it's impressive, who really cares? :p:
    Anyway, it gives me something to do if I'm bored I take my dad's electric guitar and play Muse songs whenever I'm at home...though personally I think the ability for him to be able to do the same thing is more impressive than for me to do it, just for the simple fact that I have a musical ear and he doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Well..you're obviously out to just get people to think you're great. Wrong attitude but heyho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    Oh Hear Hear!!! I know theyre challanging (My dummer is teaching me how to play ). Scales dont make an instrument. As i see it, its used in music, its an instrument.

A lot of people think that its just your arms used to hit things, though we know that the feet come on too.... and that 4-way co ordination is f*cking hard to learn!!!! (ive just cracked it myself),,,,

so i concur
    me too... I play flute piano and guitar, and am ok at all of them, but, the drums?? no way... impossible!

ReputationRep:
    i got three way coordiantion down (i'm not a durmmer, just a few goes here and there at my mates house) so i cna do bass hi-hat n snare but ask me to do any fiddly stuff wit the hi-hat and my other foot i get so screwed up!! hehe

I just boguht a ukulele! its so much fun but the tuning of this thing is crazy, i thought it would be similar to bass tuning but boy was I wrong!

I also play guitar and bass. anything else? i cna play chords n stuff on piano but i dont know my scales so dont ask me to do weird stuff off the spot - leave that to my bass imporvisation w00t w00t)

lets not forget our collective years as recorder players! we all leant it im sure. 3 years myself, went on to tenor! was fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Yeah, 'play' can be taken in various ways nowadays. Some people take play as can play the instrumet well....others say it as long as they can get a sound or a tune etc.
    'course, we've seen this question elsewhere.

the drums?? no way... impossible!
    Drums are flippin hard!

ReputationRep:
    Drums are ace! I can do one riff thing on them!

The most basic one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Well..you're obviously out to just get people to think you're great.
    Not at all, hun...if I came off as being arrogant then I'm sorry - I'm not arrogant or full of myself by nature, but there is a streak inside me that sometimes comes out.

Fine, if you want me to list things that I can "play" as things that I can play well: Piano, Xylophone, Flute, Piccollo, Saxophone (great thing about those last three is that the fingering for all of them is exactly the same )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah..what do you like playing on sax? Or what pieces have you done?

ReputationRep:
    Doh! Just coz you learnt the recorder in baby school doesn't mean you play it! I played recorder for a few years, in a recorder ensemble, I played lead and we had 1 descant and 2 of each of the others! However, I wouldn't class myself as a recorder player, simply because I don't think I'm good enough to.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...can I join?

I play Piano mainly, Recorder :p: and a bit of guitar.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?
    I play piano and violin, though singing's always been my main study... and I'm in the process of teaching myself the clarinet too though I'm pretty rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver~planet)
    Can I join?
    I play piano and violin, though singing's always been my main study... and I'm in the process of teaching myself the clarinet too though I'm pretty rubbish!
    Im sure you can - Ill just go and bully JR for you...

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: you can't bully him!! :eek: :eek:

:rolleyes: :cool: :p: :tsr:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.