Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone played at the sage in Gateshead yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Of course it does!
    Can I join then?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't actually up to me..but I am sure you can!

ReputationRep:
    I play an instrument...technically! I play the oboe/cor anglais, though haven't played for a bit, need to get reeds etc sorted out. And I sing in a choir. And I know how to play the cello, but I haven't been physically able to for months due to horrible and fairly severe RSI brought on by...playing the cello! I suppose it's my fault really - if anyone has it too DO NOT PLAY until it stops hurting! Better a month off than an indefinite and possibly permanent time off!
    Out of interest, has anyone else, of you musicians, had this? And what happened if you did? I know this might sound as though it belongs in H&R but I'm interested in this from a musician's point of view, since it does seem to be fairly common amongst people who play instruments from what I've found out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that it is particularly common among music students/people learning instruments and practicing for about an hour an a day. I think that most people who get this are professional players, teachers, conductors etc.

But thats just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of someone who has this problem, and she doesn't play excessively. I don't think it is as bad as your case though.

Try going to the forums on

www.abrsm.org

You can ask on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_w)
    I don't think that it is particularly common among music students/people learning instruments and practicing for about an hour an a day. I think that most people who get this are professional players, teachers, conductors etc.

But thats just my opinion
    I think you're right, generally the people who get it play fairly frequently - i think this does include serious music students though as they tend to practise many hours a day, sometimes even more than professionals! Some student orchestras have rehearsal scheduels that ar completely ridiculous, especially for people who, as you said, might not play so much normally - then they go on tour or whatver and rehearse 8 hours a day suddenly! Can mess people up.
    Not that I'm a serious music student, I got it from doing sudden heavy bursts of playing afte rnot much/long orchestra rehearsals, grrr!

Thanks for the link sexysax, will look it up!

ReputationRep:
    No probs! If you join let me know, I'm on there too!

ReputationRep:
    Part of current live rig.

ReputationRep:
    Ace!!!

ReputationRep:
    i play the double bass and i'm trying to learn piano

ReputationRep:

www.abrsm.org
    I'm on there! tritogeneia1: Let us know what your screen name is!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm signed up now as Terpsichore (yes, I couldn't resist, I'm a classicist!) What are your usernames, or are they obvious because like TSR ones?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh have you posted anything?

I'm saxlover!!! and Helen is erm Helen :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, guessed so - I saw you in that thread about the person who found violin-playing painful, I think! And Helen is kind of an obvious name for Helen really...but just thought I' d check! I posted a long sort of rant about my complete idiocy in managing to mess my elbow up and advising other people not to do the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Did I post in a violin topic? I don't remember! I'm everywhere on there! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tritogeneia1)
    Ah, guessed so - I saw you in that thread about the person who found violin-playing painful, I think! And Helen is kind of an obvious name for Helen really...but just thought I' d check! I posted a long sort of rant about my complete idiocy in managing to mess my elbow up and advising other people not to do the same thing.
    And it sounded awful. I was vowing never to pick up my violin again! :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :rofl:
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if a guitar amp like this would work with a bass? I really need something small to take places. Not toooo bothered about sound just need something.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=310

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.