Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I have a Fender Jazz bass It's really nice What about you?

I'm looking for new fun pieces to play. They're hard to find in rock And I have no idea where to start in jazz. I usually end up playing along to my grade 5, 6 & 8 pieces because they're so much fun.
    Fender Jazz tooo!! Is your american made? Please say no or ill be superrrrrr jealous! lol

Stevie wonder stuff seriously is so fun to play im having trouble with the chorus of Sir Duke though.

'I wish' is really fun to play too.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is wrong with flautists! There are just loads of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth_geog)
    Fender Jazz tooo!! Is your american made? Please say no or ill be superrrrrr jealous! lol

Stevie wonder stuff seriously is so fun to play im having trouble with the chorus of Sir Duke though.

'I wish' is really fun to play too.
    Yeah, mine is :cool: Why, what's yours? Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, mine is :cool: Why, what's yours? Japanese?
    argh your just too cool for school, :thrasher:

yep mines a lowly japenese but i love lots lol!

ReputationRep:
    As you should!!

Do you get a bit bored of playing rock? I do..

ReputationRep:
    As you should!!

Do you get a bit bored of playing rock? I do..
    Yer i used to just play rock, but now im in soul band, jazz band and salsa band at school and those styles are just so much funner than most rock songs.

Also i find playing rock songs sounds better using a pick and i hate hate hate using a pick with my bass!

ReputationRep:
    Well.. using a pick isn't really an option for me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well.. using a pick isn't really an option for me :p:
    eh? how comes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth_geog)
    eh? how comes
    Cos I can't hold anything in my right arm.

ReputationRep:
    Cos I can't hold anything in my right arm.
    Ah right sorry if i sounded mean btw didnt mean 2.

What kind of rock bands do you play anyways?

I can only really play the simple stuff in rock the rest gets too fast! I like bass lines with lots of notes and they change alot but just not too fast lol!

ReputationRep:
    You didn't sound mean :p: I play all kinds of rock but a lot of it is painfully boring. Some bands who are fun on the bass:

Led Zep
    The Who
    Iron Maiden
    The Beatles

They're good fun Also there are some bands who have very boring bass lines but their music is written in a way which allows the adventurous bass player to do his stuff in the songs

ReputationRep:
    Oh sounds good, ive never actually tried any Beatles stuff.

I really wanna get amazing at bass, i went to a gig once and saw an ammazing bassist in the support band went up to him after like i wish i was as good as you! I think he was too drunk to say much else than practise, he couldnt even remeber how to spell his bandname!

Im just a lil grade 4'er now, well took it in the summer but i doubt ill be able to do any more grades without having lessons. ohh well will just practise practise practise! I wanna be in a wedding band lol, you get quite a lot of money!

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard the grade 8 pieces? They're REALLY not that hard!!! I was so surprised when I first heard them I was like "hey I can do that!". Some of them are pretty hard actually but you choose 3 out of 6 to play, and there are at least 2 which are pretty damn easy once you get a hang of the skeleton chords.

I'd go as far to say that you don't even need a teacher so long as you can teach yourself the more musical bits like sight reading and a little technical talk. One of the questions in my grade 8 exam was "what is the make of your guitar?" :rofl: And I got a mark for saying Fender!!

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard the grade 8 pieces? They're REALLY not that hard!!! I was so surprised when I first heard them I was like "hey I can do that!". Some of them are pretty hard actually but you choose 3 out of 6 to play, and there are at least 2 which are pretty damn easy once you get a hang of the skeleton chords.

I'd go as far to say that you don't even need a teacher so long as you can teach yourself the more musical bits like sight reading and a little technical talk. One of the questions in my grade 8 exam was "what is the make of your guitar?" :rofl: And I got a mark for saying Fender!!
    Crazyy! in my grade four i got asked name three main bass makes and had to explain how to change the volume! lol. I don't think i have a musical enough brain to do theory stuff though, i completly stuffed up the test where you have to play a piece you have just heard. Was so much easier for clairnet where you can just sing it back. I don't think i got one note right on that test, or maybe just one by pure luck!!

I can't deal with music exams, they scare me soo much, in my gcse practical my hands were sweating so much i couldnt hold my clairnet loL!

ReputationRep:
    Good old nerves lol, happens to us all!

Part of my GCSE performing was on clarinet, and I did this ensemble jazzy thing and it just was not going right when we were recordin it, I was stressing so much and getting really hot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Good old nerves lol, happens to us all!

Part of my GCSE performing was on clarinet, and I did this ensemble jazzy thing and it just was not going right when we were recordin it, I was stressing so much and getting really hot!!
    I did the mexican hat dance for my ensemble, i don't really want to remember it, i squeaked at a reaaly good bit!

Did you get to record you exam performances? We had to do ours to an examiner and because we were on the welsh board someone from Wales had to come down just to examine us!

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE and AS we recorded out performances which was good because if we were having a bad day we could re record it another time. My final ones weren't brilliant but they got good marks. 88/90 for my AS one! :eek:

At A2level though we had to do it in front of an examiner ....yuck, my performance was awful!! Ah well

We used AQA. Best board in my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    We used AQA. Best board in my opinion!
    Grr! AQA! They annoyed me so much!

Btw, how are your piano lessons coming along!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I guess everyone has different opinions with regards to exam boards, but the one that best suited me was definitely AQA.

Thanks for asking about my piano lessons. Yeah they are going good, focusing loads on technique and trying to make myself relaxed when I play. He said he has seen an improvement. Feels very odd not to be working towards an exam though, as that is what I have been doing for the past goodness knows how long! I am enjoying a lot more though which is the main thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttymimi)

whats wrong with fluatists?! Id like to know.....! :p:
    Nothing, we're the best

--------------

(Original post by The Ninja)
    Grr! AQA! They annoyed me so much!
    Edexcel are the worst

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.