Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey you guys. I've come from the exotic lands of the Guitar Soc to join this fine group. I also play bass (reasonably) and drums (amateurishly) and synth (not a real instrument).

Genuine credentials:
    Doing grade 8 guitar in summer I think, have also done grade 5 music theory, and even A level music. Crazy!

ReputationRep:
    oooh A Level music....doing that at the moment - I really think I must have been mad when I chose my A Levels: its impossible half the time (mind you, that could be to do with my teacher...shes USELESs - Ive taken it upon myself to teach myself half the course!)

ReputationRep:
    What board are you doing nuttymimi?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join! I play the clarinet and sax to grade 7 standard, the piano to what is supposedly grade 5 (I had my Advanced Music Practical today and mucked it up a bit in the piano ) Can turn my hand to the drums, bodhran and miscellaneous whistles if the need arises. But I'd consider myself primarily a woodwindy-type person

ReputationRep:
    I am sure you did better than you thought!

Clarinet and sax to a high standard yey!!!

What do you like playing on those instruments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    What board are you doing nuttymimi?
    OCR....Just doing my performance investigation for it as we speak, Im comparing two performances of Poulenc's Sonata for Flute and Piano..oh wait three, I found an orchestrated version of by with James Galway!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds cool! Hope you do well!

ReputationRep:
    i play with my voice. am a jazz, bossa and lyrical singer. let me in????

ReputationRep:
    oOo. I wanna join.

I play
    clarinet - 8years
    saxophone - 2 years
    guitar - 2 months (though I took about 4 lessons back in 2003)

as for my standard. I have not taken any exams yet but I'm playing pieces from the ABRSM grade6 and 7 clarinet syllabus. my teacher pushing me to take exams but I'm not too sure I want to.

dont know about sax standard but i find it easy to play probably coz i'm a clarinetist. i intend to be at the same standard for clarinet and saxaphone though.

and guitar... i spend more time practising guitar then the others. I really enjoy it sooo much now though i'm finding it a little difficult.

so can I join?

ReputationRep:
    Added =D

ReputationRep:
    Hey zinc!!

What pieces do you play?

ReputationRep:
    haha. i feel inferior compared to the rest of the musicians here. the most famous piece i play is the mozart concerto. i've played all 3 movements but not up to speed for the 1st and 3rd one. and i play pieces from the book called 40 modern studies for solo clarinet. i've tried to play from no1 to no40. I just got the book Five Bagatelles by Gerald Finzi, so I should be starting that after half-term. oh, in my previous school we played 'famous' marching stuff like The Thunderer, smoke on the water, america national song type stuff.

i'm quite new to the whole 'solo' thing. started early last year. before that I always played in groups (duets, trios, orchestra, marching band, concert band, symphonic band)

for saxophone i play pop songs. like disney pop songs. i've tried girl from ipanema though and its quite nice. my teachers dont know i play the saxaphone. haha. i dont know why I didnt tell them though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    haha. i feel inferior compared to the rest of the musicians here. the most famous piece i play is the mozart concerto. i've played all 3 movements but not up to speed for the 1st and 3rd one. and i play pieces from the book called 40 modern studies for solo clarinet. i've tried to play from no1 to no40. I just got the book Five Bagatelles by Gerald Finzi, so I should be starting that after half-term. oh, in my previous school we played 'famous' marching stuff like The Thunderer, smoke on the water, america national song type stuff.

i'm quite new to the whole 'solo' thing. started early last year. before that I always played in groups (duets, trios, orchestra, marching band, concert band, symphonic band)

for saxophone i play pop songs. like disney pop songs. i've tried girl from ipanema though and its quite nice. my teachers dont know i play the saxaphone. haha. i dont know why I didnt tell them though.
    How do I feel mate, I'm the society leader and I haven't even passed a grade 1 exam...

ReputationRep:
    haha. YAY to those of us who dont have grades.

but i bet you're a awesome bassist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Rumba! I love that! Grade 5 piece:p:
    Lol I did that for my grade 5 too!

Love it. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    haha. YAY to those of us who dont have grades.

but i bet you're a awesome bassist.
    :o:love:

Aww =D.

I try

ReputationRep:
    Zinc - Mozart concerto is fab, I play that all the time! It is one of my favourite pieces ever :love:

The James Rae 40 studies book is good. As is the Finzi - I love the first 4 movements, the last one is ghastly!!

ReputationRep:

yeah, the mozart concerto piece is great. from the james rae book, Imy favourite is the Hard Rock Blues.

oh, i'm playing a piece from the mozarto divertimento no2 for my gcse pratical. i was gonna do the second movement of mozart concerto but i rather play something easy and ace it. i forgot about this coz i havent touched it since my mocks in november.

ReputationRep:
    Slavonic Dance is another good one from that book.

Cool. I can only dream of playing that concerto well lol!

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?

I'm not brilliant but I play Keyboard a bit and I've not long started to play electric guitar. Not up to grade standard yet. I've not done enough guitar yet and I don't play keyboard seriously, not really tried grade pieces.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.