Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgieK)
    lo musicdreamer, how long you played sax for? any genre your paticularly interested in?
    I played for 4 years then stopped for a couple but started again last year. I'll play pretty much anything but mostly classical, jazz and movie themes and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    wow that was a pointless post.
    I learnt a lot from that post, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, i prefer jazz mostly. During orchestra practice i accidently sometimes change the tempo to swing instead of classical...bit of a bad habit.

what kind of sax do you have?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is a jazz soc? I've had a look but can't find one

ReputationRep:
    During the first four years I played I rented one from school. I was a yamaha alto sax I think. Then I finally bought one last year. Its a jupiter artistic alto sax. Unfortunately I haven't been playing it as much as I should since I always seem to be playing the guitar instead. Its partially cause I can't be bothered since the guitar doesn't need any set up whereas the sax does...and I can adjust the volume on the guitar which is very useful sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    fair enough. i've just recently started guitar, its a difficult instrument to start, have to change your mind to 6 ways of thinking as opposed to one.

shotgun starting a jazz society!

ReputationRep:
    fair enough. i've just recently started guitar, its a difficult instrument to start, have to change your mind to 6 ways of thinking as opposed to one.
    How long have you been playing guitar? and sax for that matter..

ReputationRep:
    been playing guitar for about 3 months, im still in the chord stage, need to grow some fingernails.

sax for about 6-7 years, its my main instrument and my favourite. i played on a crappy yamaha as-100 alto till last summer, got a yamaha custom 82z, which kicks ridiculous amounts of ass. i got an otto link 8* with it too, and it sounds so amazing.

ReputationRep:
    grow fingernails? do you play classical guitar?

for electric dont you need short nails for left hand? (that is if you're playing normal guitar aka the non-strumming hand.)

ReputationRep:
    been playing guitar for about 3 months, im still in the chord stage, need to grow some fingernails.

sax for about 6-7 years, its my main instrument and my favourite. i played on a crappy yamaha as-100 alto till last summer, got a yamaha custom 82z, which kicks ridiculous amounts of ass. i got an otto link 8* with it too, and it sounds so amazing.
    Sounds awesome. Good luck with the guitar playing Are you taking lessons?

(Original post by Zinc11)
    for electric dont you need short nails for left hand?
    You need short nails on your left hand for every type of guitar otherwise you can't fret the notes properly.

ReputationRep:
    haha. i guess so. but i've heard and read somewhere then for classical guitar its nice to have long nails on your right hand when you dont use a pick. for plucking not strumming.

ReputationRep:
    That is the truth. Not too long mind.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people I know that play guitar have long nails on their right hand, especially their thumb. Its useful when you're using your fingers instead of a pick but I hate having longs nails so I keep mine short.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to actually play with my fingertips rather than fingernails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy Cycling)
    I prefer to actually play with my fingertips rather than fingernails.
    Me too. I think its uncomfortable to play with my fingernails.

ReputationRep:
    i'd agree but at my stage in playing im extremely clumsy still with fingers, so i need to get a pick, or grow fingernails on my right hand. at the moment im just messing around with chords, coming up with come pretty cool progressions.

go music theory :thrasher:

but yeah, i'll be sticking to my sax till im dead, guitar ill continue for a long time too, the variance in sounds gives me a break from each other if i get sick of one, or if i need to relax. i'm not taking lessons for it, as my sax lessons already cost quite a bit, i'm self learning pretty much off the internet.

good luck to you guys too.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing a DipABRSM or something similar at the moment? I'm thinking of doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Anyone doing a DipABRSM or something similar at the moment? I'm thinking of doing it.
    Yup, hoping to do DipABRSM Violin Performance in December...but I'm scared of the quick study. I'd probably do Beethoven Spring Sonata 1st movement, Mozart 3 1st movement, bits of a Bach Partita No 2 or 3, OR a Bach concerto, OR a Sonata for violin and piano, possibly a Kreutzer etude, Smetana Aus Der Heimlat Nos 1 and 2....not exactly sure though since I get a new teacher before then!

I don't know if I'm actually a member of this soc or not, if not can I be? I play an instrument and everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I want to do one on piano, but my confidence isn't very high at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    I need someones help.....on the flute, how do you play the highest b flat and b natural??????? i'll even give out rep! please tell me!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.