Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hmm what if you sing? because the voice is an instrument, but i cant reaaaaaaaally take a photo of that! ewww

ReputationRep:
    You can join if you sing!

ReputationRep:
    AHhh good! So what kind of music does every body like to play?

ReputationRep:
    I prefer classical! I play a bit of jazz stuff but not loads.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too - well ive been classically trained, but i like anything thats catchy really!

ReputationRep:
    Ace, what pieces do you like singing?

Argh, gota dash, cya!

ReputationRep:
    just got a new flute! my little baby lol. It is SO amazing - just got to get used to having open holes though :P
    I think playing piccolo does pretty much just require a tighter embouchure to the flute. I remember when I played a little while ago in a rehersal I then had a small concert straight after in which I had to play the flute. Completely freaked out because when I went to warm up flute I couldn't get a single note out and my embouchure just felt stuck in the position I'd had it to play the piccolo! I guess it's a case of getting used to both so you can just swap between the two.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttymimi)
    just got a new flute! my little baby lol. It is SO amazing - just got to get used to having open holes though :P
    I think playing piccolo does pretty much just require a tighter embouchure to the flute. I remember when I played a little while ago in a rehersal I then had a small concert straight after in which I had to play the flute. Completely freaked out because when I went to warm up flute I couldn't get a single note out and my embouchure just felt stuck in the position I'd had it to play the piccolo! I guess it's a case of getting used to both so you can just swap between the two.....
    Cool! I really must play my flute again...

I'm on the look-out for an oboe. I think it's a really cool instrument...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amywalters)
    AHhh good! So what kind of music does every body like to play?
    My favourite is Eastern European folk music Klezmer in particular. But classical after that, and jazz (all kinds). Less keen on modern pop music, have a particlar dislike for rap, r n b, hiphop etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttymimi)
    thats great - wot make/ model is it? I nearly got an open - holed flute but decided against it. I think I mght get one though next time ( although that won't be for a looooong time!) lol

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, hope you like your flute!!

ReputationRep:
    Guitar, for about 4 years now.

Have a Tokai Les Paul and a Yamaha F340 acoustic through a 120 watt line 6 spider II amp.

ReputationRep:
    Most classical musicians have it drilled into them so badly that any attempt, however large they make to swing fails miserably. On the other hand, jazz musicians are skilled at keeping both classical and jazz beats, just not as good at classical.

I find myself turning even the most direct classical rhythms into swing subconsciously, until i realise what i'm doing.

anyone else find the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    I'm on the look-out for an oboe. I think it's a really cool instrument...
    The oboe is an amazing instrument...although I still feel it can have a tendancy to sound like a duck at times...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elanor_Gamgee)
    thats great - wot make/ model is it? I nearly got an open - holed flute but decided against it. I think I mght get one though next time ( although that won't be for a looooong time!) lol
    The flute is an alto - and I think it will be my last!

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I have just joined the group. I play alto sax and I have been playing for 3 and a half years.
    (Original post by Saruman)
    I play Bb Clarinet (gr. 8) & Alto Sax (gr. 4, taking gr. 6), and I have played the bass clarinet before - still trying to get hold of one again . I can sing, too, but not very well.....

-Saruman
    I am taking grade 4 very soon and after that I want to take grade 6. Is this possible. I know some theory obviously but haven't actually had theory lessons but I am going to start having some soon (-the classes where I live are fully booked at the moment). Is it even possible to skip grade 5, I heard it wasn't so what shall I do? Just take grade 5, then take grade 6 soon after? Any advice anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You can skip any grades you like, and I have done so on many occasions. The only pre-requisite you need for grades 6-8 practical is either grade 5 theory; grade 5 jazz or grade 5 practical musicianship.

I would start theory lessons with the aim of taking grade 5, and see what mark you get in grade 4 practical. If it is a good one then work towards grade 6 but also learn lots of other repertoire. Once you have then passed grade 5, you can do what ever grade you like.

What pieces are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Just something I wanna add to the jumping from grd.4 to grd.6 - it depends on the board you do your exams with, but with Guildhall, you only need grd.5 theory to do grd.8

ReputationRep:
    True, I forgot to mention that, you can also use GCSE Music as a substitute for grade 8 with Guildhall. However, I don't know what is going to happen now with regards to the merging of Guildhall and Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't they merged already :confused:

The syllabus for grade exams are changing for the summer and all...apparently people were complaining about the ridiculous-ness [if there's such a word :rolleyes:] of the scales. I had to learn about 50-60 different scales

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.