Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just found out that I passed my Grade 7 piano with merit!!! Was so nervous and thought I had failed so can't stop smiling now lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yay well done that is fab!!!!

What pieces did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I did Sonata in F, sonata in G and Melody.

ReputationRep:
    The sonata in F was by Handel? I started looking at that last year before I refused to take the exam haha.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i nearly didn't take the exam either...but glad i did now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_giggles)
    Lol, i nearly didn't take the exam either...but glad i did now
    Yeah I bet! What were your mark breakdowns?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know yet, my piano teacher still has the sheet. She told me but i was just in shock so can't remember. Won't find out until thursday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    ...you could try some concertos e.g. Haydn's concerto
    Ha, I could... but I'm looking for something non classical, preferably jazz. I've done grade 7 by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know yet, my piano teacher still has the sheet. She told me but i was just in shock so can't remember. Won't find out until thursday
    Let me know! It's great! What do you plan to do now? Learn other repertoire? Look at grade 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarife)
    Ha, I could... but I'm looking for something non classical, preferably jazz. I've done grade 7 by the way.
    Ok hmm, I'm not a trumpeter so I don't know offhand! I'll have a look for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've had a look at some stuff myself and will probably just buy something randomly. I posted because someone might have enjoyed playing something and could recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to uni in septemeber so am going to take a break from lessons and just play for fun. Do you know anything about grade 8 pieces because I noticed that there wasn't a book, unless i'm mistaken.

Also does anyone know what level you have to be at to be able to begin teaching?

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to uni in septemeber so am going to take a break from lessons and just play for fun. Do you know anything about grade 8 pieces because I noticed that there wasn't a book, unless i'm mistaken.

Also does anyone know what level you have to be at to be able to begin teaching?

For the Associated Board there is a new piano syllabus being released in early August. They release the grade 8 syllabus in advance to give candidates time to prepare the pieces if they're looking to take the exam in the first session next year. I posted the list on in the Piano Society thread, have a look. There is a book for grade 8 piano, just like the other grades but it won't be out until August, they only release the names of pieces/movements etc. In the grade 8 book there will be 3 pieces from List A and B and 6 pieces from List C.

There's no set level to begin teaching. Everyone's opinions differ. Ideally you should be grade 8 standard, not necessarily taken the exam but definitely be at that standard. You should also have a fairly decent knowledge of the repertoire for the instrument, throughout all levels from beginner books to advanced stuff as pupils might not all be total beginners. You need patience as well. That's really important.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all that info! I'm not looking to take my grade 8 any time soon though or start teaching for that matter

ReputationRep:
    That's ok, useful stuff to keep in mind though . You could always get the grade 8 book and mess around with the pieces, won't do you any harm .

ReputationRep:
    Violinist!!!!!! Weeeeee!!!! Wwweeee!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey peeps, long time since ive bin on here..

over the summer hols, i wanna do some exercises for preformance, say about grade 5 (piano)..

any suggestions?

i have the hanon exercises which are quite good...

ReputationRep:
    I will PM you mikeski.

ReputationRep:
    not much going on in here .

UPDATE from me

A friend and I are cheesing up the sgt pepper album. As in cringeworthy. Its a right laugh =D.

Anyone else doin g much?

ReputationRep:
    Not really, just been asked last minute to help out and play music for schools production of Grease.

Just milling around really.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.