Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning with the violin and can do a bit with a piano. I love violin! Although I've got like the cheapest one on Earth, and the sound isn't precisely appalling...

ReputationRep:
    oh right? How long has that been for? Really fun, isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    helow...ive been teaching myself the guitar fir the last 4 weeks..may I join? although i cant actually play the thing yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keano)
    helow...ive been teaching myself the guitar fir the last 4 weeks..may I join? although i cant actually play the thing yet...
    You'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    I don't play anymore (I gave up because I decided it wasn't my thing) but I am currently doing a music degree. I do, on the other hand have grade 8 high honours (equivalent to high distinction) on french horn, and grade 3 on piano (although perfectly capable of sightreading my way through grade8 level pieces half-decently as I did my grade 3 aged 10), so, can I become an honourary member.

MB

ReputationRep:
    i hope i understoodwhat u meant musicbloke - look at the first post and see if thats right lol

And Keano - howre you finding it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    And Keano - howre you finding it?
    ok..but I need pushing and *****slapping to try harder..as im not getting any lessons (ye I know..we're poor up north ) . And ive never played anything stringy before, so it was a wee weird getting my poor fingers used to it. been 5 weeks now..and im following a book+cd which splits it in to weeks to teach you the basic stuff. just getting to grips with the scales this week. im getting a freebie lesson from one of my mates this thurs, he does live miles away though. Anyway hopefully at uni I'll get someone to show me a few other things on a regualr basis. Im just feeling sorry for the peeps in the halls though...I can hear them saying "Damn its his awful solo practice again" :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwardmonk89)
    I'm sick of people looking down on the drum kit just because it isn't a tuned instrument. I used to play the trumpet (only up to grade three) and must say that the drums are, in many ways, much more challenging. Admittedly we don't have scales to deal with :rolleyes: .
    Don't wish to rain on your parade, but a drumkit SHOULD be tuned - snare with snare OFF - then all toms. The tuning interval between snare and however many toms you have, imo is purely subjective, although my old drum tutor used to say either a perfect 4th or perfect 5th. That's a little tricky if you have 6+ toms.

I'm a pro musician of more years than I care to remember, play piano/keys/organ/vibes/drums - run own studio. Have backed a few "names" - now fortunate to have a good enough name in the business that people come to me - I no longer have to chase work. Also have a few music degrees - which are of no use whatsoever in what I now do - although if I ever become tired of touring/playing/recording - I guess I could teach, although I haven't got the world's greatest amount of patience. I'd be honoured to join this society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    the double bass and the sax are my dream instruments to play! would be amazing to learn, but I can't afford more lessons!!

I don't have double bass lessons, I'm teaching myself :P

Just pick up a cheapo double bass like i did, or alternativley, you could rent one?

ReputationRep:
    im not the music guru so my knowledge in what Keys and Vibes are,, are lacking. Might you be able to englighten me?

(added you as a member)

Tomorrows the deadline for image/logo submissions

ReputationRep:
    Hi can I join? I play cello (grade 7) and piano (grade 5).Working towards 6 and 8. I'm also teaching myself guitar and bass. Bass isn't too bad for me cos its similar to cello, but my guitar playing is SO crap. Will keep trying though lol!

:party:

ReputationRep:
    piano and keys

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember if I replied to this before, but

Piano grade 8
    Flute grade 7
    Music Theory grade 6
    Guitar beginner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Don't wish to rain on your parade, but a drumkit SHOULD be tuned - snare with snare OFF - then all toms. The tuning interval between snare and however many toms you have, imo is purely subjective, although my old drum tutor used to say either a perfect 4th or perfect 5th. That's a little tricky if you have 6+ toms.
    I know that each drum sould be tuned (so the bottom and top skins are the same pitch). By "untuned" I meant that the sound made from a drum is described as a noise and not a note.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    im not the music guru so my knowledge in what Keys and Vibes are,, are lacking. Might you be able to englighten me?

(added you as a member)

Tomorrows the deadline for image/logo submissions
    Thankyou for approving membership.
    K - "keys" = keyboards e.g. synthesiser, sampler, etc. Vibes = vibraphone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoon1)
    I don't have double bass lessons, I'm teaching myself :P

Just pick up a cheapo double bass like i did, or alternativley, you could rent one?
    maybe I should! Will look out for cheap double basses! just gotta find somewhere to keep it though!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know that each drum sould be tuned (so the bottom and top skins are the same pitch). By "untuned" I meant that the sound made from a drum is described as a noise and not a note.
    That's a common misconception usually spouted by non-musicians. If, say, your snare is tuned to 440Hz (middle c) - then that is a NOTE - not a noise. If you describe the sound made by a timpanist as a "noise" - chances are he'll find an alternate use for his beaters.

ReputationRep:
    I play the piano, and I'm teaching myself the violin and guitar. Can I join? Please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    If you describe the sound made by a timpanist as a "noise" - chances are he'll find an alternate use for his beaters.
    I agree with you there . My music teacher (not drum teacher) always taught me that there is tuned percussion, like timpany drums, glockenspiels and pianos, and untuned percussion, like toms and cymbals. I think he must have meant tuned so that you can play a melody on them and I must have misunderstood him.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you there . My music teacher (not drum teacher) always taught me that there is tuned percussion, like timpany drums, glockenspiels and pianos, and untuned percussion, like toms and cymbals. I think he must have meant tuned so that you can play a melody on them and I must have misunderstood him.
    I don't know where the idea that toms are an untuned percussion instrument comes from. Have a listen to a pro drummer playing - I bet you'll be able to pick out the relative intervals between his individual drums.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.