Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elanor_Gamgee)
    hehe...when i did grade 5 I got to play Put you Hoe down by Andrew Wilson - it was my favourite exam piece ever!! They took it off the syllabus the term after I did it though...
    Someone probably pointed out the double entendre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elanor_Gamgee)
    hehe...when i did grade 5 I got to play Put you Hoe down by Andrew Wilson - it was my favourite exam piece ever!! They took it off the syllabus the term after I did it though...
    Awww thats a shame! Sounds like a great piece =D

ReputationRep:
    I'll Join !!! I play a few instruments. According to some people though I am only an instrumentalist and not a musician

ReputationRep:
    ROFL I like it ! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, how much do people pay for each music lesson?? I have electronic keyboard lessons with a few other people and have to pay £10 per lesson. Is that the amount that other people pay or is it quite a lot??

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how long your lesson is. My teacher is really good and we are paying a lot of money per hour!

ReputationRep:
    I paid £12 for 1/2hour. My teacher was so great - i miss her loads!!

ReputationRep:
    well i have an hour lesson each week but that is also with 4 other people though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz23)
    well i have an hour lesson each week but that is also with 4 other people though.
    Not bad for £10 - is it in a Music School? Here in the country you would expect to pay£25 - £35 per hour for a good teacher. In London it would be a lot more. The problem for music teachers is that once their time is filled, they can't expand their income any further except by teaching in groups (like yours). It's OK for starting but you will need individual tuition when you progress a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    Not bad for £10 - is it in a Music School? Here in the country you would expect to pay£25 - £35 per hour for a good teacher. In London it would be a lot more. The problem for music teachers is that once their time is filled, they can't expand their income any further except by teaching in groups (like yours). It's OK for starting but you will need individual tuition when you progress a bit.
    Yeah i have my music lessons at a yamaha music school. Well i have always had music lessons with a few other people. I don't know any other music teacher that will teach individually apart from at school but my parents don't want to miss any school lessons. But i don't mind having it in groups as you can play band pieces whereas if you were having music lessons by yourself you couldn't do that. However, on the otherhand it can get annoying sometimes when someone doesn't get/ understand something.

ReputationRep:
    I pay £16 for an hour and £10 for half

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz23)
    Yeah i have my music lessons at a yamaha music school. Well i have always had music lessons with a few other people. I don't know any other music teacher that will teach individually apart from at school but my parents don't want to miss any school lessons. But i don't mind having it in groups as you can play band pieces whereas if you were having music lessons by yourself you couldn't do that. However, on the otherhand it can get annoying sometimes when someone doesn't get/ understand something.
    If you ask in the local music shops, they usualy know the local teachers ('cos we always ask for discount ).

ReputationRep:
    For my piano lessons, I pay £10 for half an hour; in other words, £5 every 15 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Eek. Sorry about my absense, guys! Im having money troubles (no loans) so only get internet at my girlfriends..which i dont ask for often >_> adding you guys now.

ReputationRep:
    IMO a music lesson is worth its money if u enjoy it and if your teacher is good. For example: From the age of 7 to 15 I had a teacher who charged £3.50 for 1/2hr but I only reached grade2 in that time. When I changed teacher I started paying £12 for 1/2hr but in 4 years i had progressed to grade 8. Also, when I was with my old teacher I hated my lessons and didnt enjoy playing at all, but once I had changed I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I play Piano, Clarinet (have Gr 8 in both), Melodeon, C Melody Sax, Flageolet and a couple of others.

Is anyone here doing a CertGSMD (P) or similar for Piano? Mine's in around 3 weeks, and I'm now really nervous. All it involves is doing a 35 min recital, but the pieces are difficult...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Hey all,

I play Piano, Clarinet (have Gr 8 in both), Melodeon, C Melody Sax, Flageolet and a couple of others.

Is anyone here doing a CertGSMD (P) or similar for Piano? Mine's in around 3 weeks, and I'm now really nervous. All it involves is doing a 35 min recital, but the pieces are difficult...
    C melody sax is a pretty rare bird these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Hey all,

C melody sax is a pretty rare bird these days.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ukebert, welcome .

Good luck for your exam, what pieces are you playing?

ReputationRep:
    J S Bach, Italien Concerto (full)
    Franz Schubert, Impromtus in Ab and Fmin Op 14 something
    Edvard Grieg, Wedding at Trollhagen
    Serge Prokofief Prelude Op something small.

The C Melody is a really fun instrument to play, quite different from the clarinet. I am presently attempting to restore a 1920's Conn New Wonder, and playing a Beuscher Stencil.

ukebert

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.