Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    J S Bach, Italien Concerto (full)
    Franz Schubert, Impromtus in Ab and Fmin Op 14 something
    Edvard Grieg, Wedding at Trollhagen
    Serge Prokofief Prelude Op something small.

The C Melody is a really fun instrument to play, quite different from the clarinet. I am presently attempting to restore a 1920's Conn New Wonder, and playing a Beuscher Stencil.

ukebert
    The Conn must be a marvellous thing - they usually are. 1920s is pretty old, it beats my 1933 Selmer "Cigar Cutter" alto! Don't know the Beuscher though. I did have a C melody when I was in school (back in the middle ages) but it was in the old "high" pitch so was impossible to play with anyone else. In the end I turned it into a table lamp :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It is a lovely instrument, but the LH key rod has frozen solid, if the penetrating oil doesn't work I may have to unsolder the post

In my list I forgot to mention the Ukulele :eek: I have a RISA electric, see here for details...

ReputationRep:
    Might one infer a "Folk" element in your prefered style or am I being stereotypical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    Might one infer a "Folk" element in your prefered style or am I being stereotypical?
    Classical on Piano, Jazz on Clarinet, and yes, Folk on Melodeon/Ukulele/Flageolet...

ReputationRep:
    ...or tin whistle as we call them in Ireland. I always prefered to use them in class music instead of recorders - much easier to play and much, much better intonation. I used to give one each to my GCSE students when they left school so they could always have music with them - some of them still carry them around!

ReputationRep:
    Actually the flageolet is a forerunner to the penny whistle, made out of wood with a number of keys. The fingering is... interesting, especially on a french flageolet like the one I have.

ReputationRep:
    You're quite right; a flageolet is any end blown flute with a mouthpiece to direct the flow of air (I have several from SE Asia and a couple from S. America) but I am intrigued by your French keyed jobby. I've come across 3 and 5 keyed transverse flutes but not an end blown except larger recorders.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite interesting, I'm pretty sure it's HP, which is a pain. I got it relatively recently, and haven't played it with anybody yet. The fingering is interesting, but it works surprisingly well. the fundemental is A, and there are 4 holes down one side, and two the other... Mine has 9 keys.

ReputationRep:
    When is your exam Sephrenia?? Not long now? Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that jazz music for tenor sax is nicer then those for clarinet?

today my teacher gave me some music for tenor sax to play for my clarinet and it sounds more pleasant then clarinet stuff. or is it just me thinking it sounds nicer but in reality its barely different?

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday :fear: Thanks I can just about play most of my scales now - and 2 of my pieces...my study is still ****e though...God Im looking forward to xmas songs after my exam!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer sax for jazz especially tenor .

I can't do my scales, good luck on Wed, will be thinking of you :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Nat :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    Does anyone think that jazz music for tenor sax is nicer then those for clarinet?

today my teacher gave me some music for tenor sax to play for my clarinet and it sounds more pleasant then clarinet stuff. or is it just me thinking it sounds nicer but in reality its barely different?
    It depends on the tenor is the short answer. I've always been a fan of Lester Young and his style of playing, some tenors I find can be a bit too raucous.

Have you ever heard Benny Goodmn play? That may well change your mind about Jazz for the Clarinet. For me, clarinet Jazz is my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. I've heard Benny Goodman and I have some dixieland jazz for clarinet which is great.

I admit I havent had much experience with jazz so its just my opinion. I'm using my clarinet for playing but the stuff written for tenor that I've played sound nicer then the jazz written for clarinet. I dont play tenor sax, only a bit of alto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zinc11)
    Yup. I've heard Benny Goodman and I have some dixieland jazz for clarinet which is great.

I admit I havent had much experience with jazz so its just my opinion. I'm using my clarinet for playing but the stuff written for tenor that I've played sound nicer then the jazz written for clarinet. I dont play tenor sax, only a bit of alto.
    Ah, I see. In terms of the music, rather than the sound, there's an awful lot more written for tenor than for clarinet, so some of it is going to be better certainly.

ReputationRep:
    that makes sense.

The good thing is its in the same key so I can easily play tenor music.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick... Good luck Trish!

ReputationRep:
    Most jazz (before bebop anyway) is based on songs and isn't specific to any particular instrument although some pieces become associated with a certain player. For example there are famous (and brilliant) examples of "Body and Soul" by Benny Goodman on clarinet and by Coleman Hawkins on tenor sax - good comparison listening.
    There are alot of pseudo-jazzy pieces written for instrumental tuition which may be aimed at a specific instrument but whether they can really be called jazz or not is a moot point.

ReputationRep:
    How was it Trish?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.