Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    Soph - Hi , no instrument for me, but 2 of my pupils got saxophones yey , and I am getting one next week...my 3rd one in 2 years....:rolleyes:
    Oooh what sax are you getting? I was thinking of getting a sax but then had a change of mind and bought myself a clarinet a week after going to Uni... can only play about 12 notes on it, mind! It's getting past the A above middle C that's causing the problems at the moment, those notes make such a noise!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully getting a Selmer S80 MkII. Have to see what the shop have and what I like when I try them out.

Good luck with the clarinet .

ReputationRep:
    Are there any bass clarinetists out there btw, I never seem to meet that many!?!

ReputationRep:
    There's one right above you! :rolleyes: ... the lucky one with a choice of saxophones. Decisions, decisions. I'm afraid my Selmer isn't so new - 1933 "Cigar Cutter". Even if I couldn't be there in the day at least my sax was :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Trish: I'll see if I've got anything I can send you to borrow too .

Claire - Ace, I've done my 8 on clarinet and hoping to do 7 on piano this year .
    oooh thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    There's one right above you! :rolleyes: ... the lucky one with a choice of saxophones. Decisions, decisions. I'm afraid my Selmer isn't so new - 1933 "Cigar Cutter". Even if I couldn't be there in the day at least my sax was :cool:
    You're tellong me, I have two c melody's, both over 80 years old, and one in bits on my desk in my bedroom. The whole of the LH stack is frozen to the rod it seems, and oil can't shift it :mad: Looks like i'll have to unsolder some posts and use gentle persuasion :sigh:

Happy playing in 2007. May your music bring to you as much joy as it has brought to me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and nice sax btw :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claire M)
    Are there any bass clarinetists out there btw, I never seem to meet that many!?!
    Yeh I play a bit, not very good, don't have one of my own either to play it properly! But I played it in Arthur Bliss' Colour Symphony before Christmas which was fun .

ReputationRep:
    yeh I do have one but it is also a little old and makes a lot of noise - same with my Eb it is over 100 years old and does not like keeping in tune - but I suppose no Eb does!!

ReputationRep:
    Is that an Eb alto clari or a little "Till Eulenspiegel" jobby?

ReputationRep:
    The little squeaker!! My alto is still in its case needing a new mouthpiece!! I really need to buy one!!

ReputationRep:
    I take it you play the "ordinary" clarinet as well as the mutants. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeh clarinet is my main instrument the 'mutants' I collect when we see a good deal!!

ReputationRep:
    What kind of music do you like playing on clarinet?

ReputationRep:
    I play anything, though probably mainly classical and that is what I enjoy playing most - probably because there is a lot of good music around . What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Mostly classical. Mozart's Concerto rules!

ReputationRep:
    Mostly classical. Mozart's Concerto rules!
    Yeah, I'm learning that at the moment on Clarinet, along with Rhapsodie in Blue for Solo Pano (difficult). The mozart is a very satisfying piece to play, and is obviously very famous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Yeah, I'm learning that at the moment on Clarinet, along with Rhapsodie in Blue for Solo Pano (difficult). The mozart is a very satisfying piece to play, and is obviously very famous.
    I've had that arrangement for years and I still can't play the ossias. What a great piece of Americana tho'.
    There's a nice story about Darius Milhaud visiting Gershwin in New York and expressing amazment that George could work in such constant noise and bustle. G. said that it was actually inspiring and suggeted that they both write a string 4tet over the weekend to out the NY vibe. When they compared pieces on the Mon. Milhaud had not only written two 4tets, but they could be play simultaniously as an 8tet! I guess he had proved Gershwin's point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    When they compared pieces on the Mon. Milhaud had not only written two 4tets, but they could be play simultaniously as an 8tet! I guess he had proved Gershwin's point.
    I really want to hear them now... if only I was a string player. I did once play an 8 hander on the piano, we were given the music the day before the concert and had two playthroughs, possibly the most amusing performance (for me) I've ever given.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a sketch on "Not The Nine O'Clock News" (Rowan Atkinson, Smith & Jones and Pamela Stevenson) where about six people played a bit of Scot Joplin on one piano. They each had a fifth or so that they could play in and the piece was just divided between them. Looked tricky!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.