Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Horay! Today I managed to finally take the rod out of the LH stack, with only a little brute force.

I switched to WD40 a couple of days ago, and it seems to have worked, anyway it slid out quite easily. Probably a combination of factors. Wiggling the key while putting the oil in also helped I think. There's a special name for that, beginning with c I think.

There's still one key that's stuck; the F# fork. With any luck it'll shift with the oil, but that one shouldn't be that difficult to unsolder the post.

ReputationRep:
    @ukebert

Hey. I am playing Rhapsody in Blue in piano class (:
    I love that song...its beautiful..

Anyways.... I play the piano since 8th grade and the flute
    since 9th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Horay! Today I managed to finally take the rod out of the LH stack, with only a little brute force.

I switched to WD40 a couple of days ago, and it seems to have worked, anyway it slid out quite easily. Probably a combination of factors. Wiggling the key while putting the oil in also helped I think. There's a special name for that, beginning with c I think.

There's still one key that's stuck; the F# fork. With any luck it'll shift with the oil, but that one shouldn't be that difficult to unsolder the post.
    This sounds exciting (and rather nerve-wracking). I've tried some DIY sax and flute repairing and it was terrifying the first time I took one to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little.miss.sunshine*)
    @ukebert

Hey. I am playing Rhapsody in Blue in piano class (:
    I love that song...its beautiful..

Anyways.... I play the piano since 8th grade and the flute
    since 9th
    You must be reasonable if you can play the adaptation for one piano, (blue book). It' getting beyond me, but if I keep on working at it I might be able to master it I started Piano when I was 5, Clarinet when I was 11, did my Grd 8 Piano when I was 15, my Grade 8 Clarinet when I was 16, and my Diploma when I was 17.

(Original post by Fletch)
    This sounds exciting (and rather nerve-wracking). I've tried some DIY sax and flute repairing and it was terrifying the first time I took one to pieces.
    Yes, I really hope I can put it all back together. I've wired up the stacks so that I don't forget which bit goes where, and I've got a notebook with how I took each bit out and in what order. I've also labelled every key, rod and screw

ReputationRep:
    You must be reasonable if you can play the adaptation for one piano, (blue book). It' getting beyond me, but if I keep on working at it I might be able to master it I started Piano when I was 5, Clarinet when I was 11, did my Grd 8 Piano when I was 15, my Grade 8 Clarinet when I was 16, and my Diploma when I was 17
    I envy you

ReputationRep:
    The following errors arose while processing your join requests:

James!: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully.

leonie23: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully.

Im alive, apprently!

ReputationRep:
    Good to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeski)
    I envy you
    Sorry. Took a lot of work though, and people keep on making me play in concerts, so it's not all lovely

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. Took a lot of work though, and people keep on making me play in concerts, so it's not all lovely
    Well fair play, you deserve it if you put in that much work!

ReputationRep:
    *revives*
    I have a windband concert in 2 weeks...after that I only have 1 more then no more windband :eek3: Oh and I didnt even know about the concert in 2 weeks until last night...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with it. We have one on 26th which was supposed to be in Feb but got snowed off! At least the extra time means the Swing Band can now play the fiendish "Tenor Madness" featuring our 2 excellent tenor players and the vocalists have learned the Andrews Sisters harmonies for "Bei Mir Bist Du Schon"

ReputationRep:
    I have decided to stop playin the piano and pick up the guitar. Is it true that guys are naturally better at it than boys, cause my bf and i are going to start at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    Don't stop the Piano!!!

As for the guitar it depends on the way your fingers work... if your bf doesn't play an instrument you'll probably beat him.

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is far better than me on the guitar because she started on the violin. Ukebert is right DON'T GIVE UP THE PIANO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **steph**)
    Is it true that guys are naturally better at it than boys
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    and i usually just memorise music the first time it's played to me...no need to confuse myself prior to that with sight singing...but that'll be fun...aural on the other hand; modulations should be fine...just need to make i remember all the names...as for the cadence weirdness...ouch...that'll be painful. but huzzah regardless
    Same here with regards to the memorising. Probably because I learnt with the Suzuki method. I used to love cadences, modulations, the whole aural goodness. I even got 18/18 in my Gr8 aural for Piano. Didn't do quite so well in the clarinet one though (7/10)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sir_inferno)
    the modulations are just listening whether it clashes/fits and working it out from there...

it's the cadences that i'm scared about...identifying the cadence itself shouldn't be so evil...i mean, reasonably evil, but not impossible, it's just the numbers without spending too long counting down from what you hear and BAH
    Yeah, I have very good pitch recognition, so with me it's more, it started in A Major and shifted to B minor. hmm, that's the second so supertonic minor. Or with cadences, I think, well it's in C and the penultimate chord was an F and it ends on the tonic, so it's plagal.

ReputationRep:
    The last chord is more often I: V I perfect, IV I plagal, these are the ones that sound finished. Interupted - V VI (or something else) has a sense of surprise about it and imperfect ends on V. These sound as if there is more ot come.
    There are some more exotic cadences like the phrygian cadence but they are mostly to do with what comes before the cadence itself.

ReputationRep:
    Plagal is the amen yes, I learnt that

Interrupted i think could land on anything, but it's most likely to be IV, II or VI. Please say I've got my numerals the right way round or it'll be very embarassing.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.