Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not bad thanks. Got a C Clarinet for my birthday

ReputationRep:
    C clarinet, c melody sax; one might almost think you are trying to avoid transposition. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fletch)
    C clarinet, c melody sax; one might almost think you are trying to avoid transposition. :p:
    :ninja: Of *ahem* course not

ReputationRep:
    I filled in on the oboe line in concert band for a while on sop. sax. I got into reading everything a tone higher but then it started to really take over... I would see a g, think a and finger a b! There is such a thing as too much transposition.

(Original post by ukebert)
    :eek:

That's so cool! Do you have a great bass, contrabass, great subcontra hyper low really big bass? Sorry got carried away

My grandfather has a bass, but I've ever played any lower. I want to though.
    i don't have the funds for a contrabass but yes i have a greatbass as the biggest i currently own... and yes i do have a Garklein-Flotlein somewhere but its so small you can easily lose it!!

unfortunately i can't really play it that well due to having fingers which aren't quite small enough to sucessfully cover the wholes correctly!

so if anyone known of a contrabass being sold then let me know as i will happily buy it (assuming i have enough money)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    i don't have the funds for a contrabass but yes i have a greatbass as the biggest i currently own... and yes i do have a Garklein-Flotlein somewhere but its so small you can easily lose it!!

unfortunately i can't really play it that well due to having fingers which aren't quite small enough to sucessfully cover the wholes correctly!

so if anyone known of a contrabass being sold then let me know as i will happily buy it (assuming i have enough money)
    Wow...

I've been trying to build up families for ages, but haven't come close in any of them, too much money. Good luck with your contrabass

http://www.dolmetsch.com/millennium.htm double contrabass in F, octave below the contra...

Wow...

I've been trying to build up families for ages, but haven't come close in any of them, too much money. Good luck with your contrabass

http://www.dolmetsch.com/millennium.htm double contrabass in F, octave below the contra...
    i was quite lucky with getting mine, most of my collection was given to me, it was only the bass and great bass i had to buy (luckily the bass came from a carboot sale for £70)

then my Moeck great bass was a treat to myself with a little bit of help from parents but with a price tag of just under £1,000 its a lot for a recorder but its well worth it when you hear the sound.

and when i win the lottery i'm buying a subcontrabass which is shown at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.angelfire.com/fl/flautonuovo/Edeb01.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    i was quite lucky with getting mine, most of my collection was given to me, it was only the bass and great bass i had to buy (luckily the bass came from a carboot sale for £70)

then my Moeck great bass was a treat to myself with a little bit of help from parents but with a price tag of just under £1,000 its a lot for a recorder but its well worth it when you hear the sound.

and when i win the lottery i'm buying a subcontrabass which is shown at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.angelfire.com/fl/flautonuovo/Edeb01.html
    My grandfathers bass cost something like that as well, I've played it and its actually very nice. An adler i think.

£1000 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    £1000 :eek:
    Thank god he doesn't play the violin!

ReputationRep:
    Or the melodeon :rolleyes: My dream one is double that...

ReputationRep:
    Just in case someone's interested... I got my Forte C Clarinet last week.

I'm actually very impressed with it, tone and intonation very constant throughout the range, and a nice sound. It comes with two barrels, at sight they look identical, but you can hear a difference in the sound. The difficult thing will be remembering which is which. I am particularly impressed with the no jam bridge key, and the SOFAS alignment system. The very first time I put my Bb clarinet together I popped off that little bit of cork, and it clattered for two years.

The fingering has to be more precise of course since it's a smaller instrument, I've found that for years I've been flicking my RH back a little when going over the break, and going from B to C# via the LH pinkies, on the C it just brushes the G# key, producing a lovely little squeak. I'm going to have to relearn that bit.

It's fine with my stock mouthpiece, but I'm going to buy an optimised one. I've been appaling with mouthpieces, i only have one, the stock that came with my student clarinet (that I did my Gr8 on :rolleyes:)

If anyone wants the link, it's at http://www.forteclarinet.com/ and http://www.forteclarinet.com/horns/c.htm

All in all, well worth getting.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know but it sounds French.

ReputationRep:
    The very first time I put my Bb clarinet together I popped off that little bit of cork, and it clattered for two years.
    Same here. I forgot which key to hold down when putting it together. I've played clarinet for about 6 years and soprano sax for 1 1/2. Oh and I started singing lessons at half term but the teacher's missed 3 lessons so it's not going great. I auditioned for an orchestra just yesterday... there's only 1 clarinet spot open though so I probably won't get it.

ReputationRep:
    See with my forte C Clarinet, (and with the Bb ones too) you don't need to press anything down when you put it together! There's even a guide so that you know what alignment to have. It's great

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose that there are any organists here are there? I play piano too, anyone got any advice on practice routines for grade 7 +?

Oh, and can I join???

ReputationRep:
    I started organ a little while back, but never really got into it.

Practice routines? The most important thing you can do is practice hands seperately. Otherwise you'll never get it. The second most important thing is to practice sightreading not by going through an "Oh no, it's sight reading" book, but to find a set that you like (I did lyric pieces by Grieg, but Chopin mazurkas are great too) and set yourself a challenge as to how many pages you can sightread per week. You'll be surprised how quickly you improve. The third thing is to play your scales and arppeggios over and over and over again, play each one every day. For the 2 weeks preceeding my Gr 8 I played >200 scales per day.

I hope that'll halep, remember however that people are different, ad what worked for me might not work for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_blue)
    I don't suppose that there are any organists here are there? I play piano too, anyone got any advice on practice routines for grade 7 +?
    The thing I always find hardest with the organ is the coordination, esp. with the feet (same on drum kit ). I think a crucial thing to practice is the fingering/footing and articulation as well as rehearsing registration changes and page turns. May sound basic but if you do it on the fly you can end up playing Twister. I knew an Oxford organ scholar who once ended up playing a pedal with one hand and holding a manual note with his nose so that he could change his stops :eek:.

ReputationRep:
    Oh organ playing looks so difficult. I give kudos to accomplished organ-ists =)

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone, pianist signing in

ReputationRep:
    I play a lot of instruments but the ones I am most accomplished on and have stuck with are piano, concert xylophone, drums and I'm mid way to adding guitar to that list.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.