Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got my custom made C Clarinet mouthpiece today, and I'm at work Made by Ben Redwine, looks like a nice piece of work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.w.)
    Hi all. I play the piano and have a merit at grade 8, as well as grade 8 theory. I'm trying to learn to play by ear and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips? At the moment I can pretty much pick up the tune, but after that all I can do is add chords 1,4 and 5, which is rarely enough to sound convincing. Do you need relative pitch to play by ear to a good standard? If so, how hard is it to learn relative pitch, and how long does it take to develop?
    wish i could tell you...I have perfect pitch :p: so learning tunes comes fast for me but I think playing the piano should help you loads to develop a better ear...

what you could do would be to press a key (e.g. middle C) close your eyes...and then, still with your eyes closed...press a random key and see if you can work out what it is...there may be better ways of developing your ear but there's a start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    wish i could tell you...I have perfect pitch :p: so learning tunes comes fast for me but I think playing the piano should help you loads to develop a better ear...

what you could do would be to press a key (e.g. middle C) close your eyes...and then, still with your eyes closed...press a random key and see if you can work out what it is...there may be better ways of developing your ear but there's a start!
    That is indeed a start And learning by ear is a great skill. My music teacher tried a competition where he played notes within an octave and asked us to guess them, I won both times with consumate ease. He was rather upset about that :p:

:five: for perfect pitch

ReputationRep:
    ^^ so you've got relative pitch or perfect?

PP is so useful for sessions which i mainly why I've learned tonnes of traditional tunes in a short space of time!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ so you've got relative pitch or perfect?

PP is so useful for sessions which i mainly why I've learned tonnes of traditional tunes in a short space of time!
    I agree with the sessions :cool: Although reels and really fast stuff are still beyond me to pick up My brain just doesn't work fast enough :p:

I've met people with more perfect pitch than me, mine is quite harmonically dependent. But I do have PP and not RP yes.

ReputationRep:
    What the Beboppers in the fiftys used to do was, whenever they heard a car horn, or bell, or bird or anything that had a note, they would jump to that note or harmonise it with a dim 5th (their favourite disonance). :cool: I saw Art Thiman (sp?) and Stan Tracy do this in a concert in Oxford when a bell started ringing in college. They immediately started putting that note into their improvisation.

ReputationRep:
    I find myself humming a tune in harmony with the vacuum cleaner, or the hairdryer, or the printer :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I agree with the sessions :cool: Although reels and really fast stuff are still beyond me to pick up My brain just doesn't work fast enough :p:

I've met people with more perfect pitch than me, mine is quite harmonically dependent. But I do have PP and not RP yes.
    so i'm guessing the people with more perfect pitch than you can tell a note that between..say E natural and F natural?...I'm a bit shaky at that sorta stuff!

Oh and for some reason (could be the PP lol) I seem to be well biased towards certain key signatures! Like sometimes I only wanna learn tunes in B minor or A major :confused: it's a really weird habit!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for the PP btw

ReputationRep:
    so i'm guessing the people with more perfect pitch than you can tell a note that between..say E natural and F natural?...I'm a bit shaky at that sorta stuff!

Oh and for some reason (could be the PP lol) I seem to be well biased towards certain key signatures! Like sometimes I only wanna learn tunes in B minor or A major :confused: it's a really weird habit!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for the PP btw
    Nah, I can do Enat and Fnat, it's singing that I can't do for some reason Probably because a pure singing voice is basically a sine wave with few harmonics. It's my theory that my perfect pitch is limited to those instruments/ways of producing sound with regular harmonics. So bells are difficult, but violins aren't

It's a common trait actually, favouring keys for people with PP. Beethoven did it, he reckoned that C Minor was the most mournful key. Myself I like D major best, with the associated modes.

:five:

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to the bells of York Minster and they were in D major...you'd have liked it lol

Here's what I think each key sig is like:

B/E minor: most mournful
    A major: most happy (i love putting B minor chords after A major ones BIG contrast lol)
    C/G major: most bland
    B flat Major: most grand (prob coz a lot of fanfares are played in it!)
    E major: most bright

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to the bells of York Minster and they were in D major...you'd have liked it lol

Here's what I think each key sig is like:

B/E minor: most mournful
    A major: most happy (i love putting B minor chords after A major ones BIG contrast lol)
    C/G major: most bland
    B flat Major: most grand (prob coz a lot of fanfares are played in it!)
    E major: most bright
    A friend of mine rings at York, it might have been him :p:

I'd say that C Minor is the most impressively mournful, C# being the most non-impressively mournful. D Majoy is lovely and happy and soft the flat keys (eb, f, Bb, Ab) are harder and brighter, but fuller than Emaj, which as you say, is very bright indeed. F# is kinda in between sharp and flat.

C majoy I agree is bland, but G isn't that bad. Yes it's not as good as D, but it isn't too bad. A major is nice, I often impro in that mixolydian mode. Care to guess why? :rolleyes:

The thing is, I'm having to use words that don't really mean what I want them to, because there isn't really vocabulary suitable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    A friend of mine rings at York, it might have been him :p:

I'd say that C Minor is the most impressively mournful, C# being the most non-impressively mournful. D Majoy is lovely and happy and soft the flat keys (eb, f, Bb, Ab) are harder and brighter, but fuller than Emaj, which as you say, is very bright indeed. F# is kinda in between sharp and flat.

C majoy I agree is bland, but G isn't that bad. Yes it's not as good as D, but it isn't too bad. A major is nice, I often impro in that mixolydian mode. Care to guess why? :rolleyes:

The thing is, I'm having to use words that don't really mean what I want them to, because there isn't really vocabulary suitable
    Do you reckon C# minor doesn't sound as mournful coz it's the relative of the most bright key sig E major?..it's possible!

Hmm A mixolydian....(my favourite non-proper scale btw lol)...TWO SHARPS!!! That's why you like it lol! Though it doesn't sound at all D majorish lol...i think mixolydians sound really strong...take the tune Red Haired Boy for example...sounds nice an soft for the first three bars then BANG! the G chord comes in lol...

see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPwtXAUevs

it's obviously not played how i play it (i play violin!) but the characteristic mixolydian contrast is really clear...that's what i like about mixolydian mode!

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon C# minor doesn't sound as mournful coz it's the relative of the most bright key sig E major?..it's possible!
    Quite possibly :p: Although it’s a different quality of brightness from the flat keys.

Hmm A mixolydian....(my favourite non-proper scale btw lol)...TWO SHARPS!!! That's why you like it lol! Though it doesn't sound at all D majorish lol...i think mixolydians sound really strong...take the tune Red Haired Boy for example...sounds nice an soft for the first three bars then BANG! the G chord comes in lol...

see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPwtXAUevs

it's obviously not played how i play it (i play violin!) but the characteristic mixolydian contrast is really clear...that's what i like about mixolydian mode!
    It is why I like it :p: When I get back home I’ll listen to that.

My favourite mode is the dorian. Here’s a chord progression for you.

Emin D A F#min7(alternatively D with F# base) G Emin7(alternatively C major with E bass) D Bmin7 A :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Dorian is the greatest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Dorian is the greatest!
    ;yes;

Tried my sequence? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nice! But needs more minor 9ths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Nice! But needs more minor 9ths
    Quite possibly. I usually improv over it, so I do put 9ths and so on in it. But I'm a classical pianist, I'm still getting used to the intricacies of chords :p:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here own a keytar??

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I kinda wish I did :p:

ReputationRep:
    hi guys i'm sorry for posting here since I am not part of this society. But I really want to learn to sing but I have a terrible voice and I am scared of going to learn incase someone laughs at me (the teacher I mean). i don't want to make a career out of it I just want to sing because i love musical theatre . But i really am awful and the only kind of music i like is musical theatre. I do not know a single famous pop singer. i know but i was just wondering if there was any point in me learning

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.