The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

Gathering
hi guys i'm sorry for posting here since I am not part of this society. But I really want to learn to sing but I have a terrible voice and I am scared of going to learn incase someone laughs at me (the teacher I mean). i don't want to make a career out of it I just want to sing because i love musical theatre :smile:. But i really am awful and the only kind of music i like is musical theatre. I do not know a single famous pop singer. i know but i was just wondering if there was any point in me learning

Of course there's point in you learning. There are plenty of good teach yourself singing books out there, however I would recommend getting a teacher. If you do teach yourself it may be a good idea to get some kind of recording device so you can listen back to what you sound like.

I sang in a Jazz Choir for my (musician) uncle's wedding yesterday :proud:
Reply 1681
ukebert
But I do have PP and not RP yes.
I'll trade you my RP for your PP. :p: (The RP is Received Pronunciation, though. :wink:)

When I used to try and sing back a note from the piano, I was lucky if it was within a major third either way of the note I was trying to sing. :redface: Fortunately, it has improved a lot recently.
Lusus Naturae
I'll trade you my RP for your PP. :p: (The RP is Received Pronunciation, though. :wink:)

When I used to try and sing back a note from the piano, I was lucky if it was within a major third either way of the note I was trying to sing. :redface: Fortunately, it has improved a lot recently.

No deal :p:
Reply 1683
Gathering
hi guys i'm sorry for posting here since I am not part of this society. But I really want to learn to sing but I have a terrible voice and I am scared of going to learn incase someone laughs at me (the teacher I mean). i don't want to make a career out of it I just want to sing because i love musical theatre :smile:. But i really am awful and the only kind of music i like is musical theatre. I do not know a single famous pop singer. i know but i was just wondering if there was any point in me learning

Hi Gathering. I hope I can speak for my fellow teachers when I say that no one will laugh at you for wanting to learn. I have had some pupils (mainly dancers who needed to sing) that started off being terrible and ended up with minor parts in west end shows. After all if you could already do it, you wouldn't need a teacher. Go for it girl!
So who is rocking Glastonbury this year?
Or Kaustinen (finland)?
Or Trowbridge? (which I may not be able to go to)
Or folkworks???
Or Sidmouth Folkweek?
Or Shetland Festival? :wink:
Ooh maybe Sidmouth (if i can find the funds) :s-smilie:

Only Kaustinen if I can find someone to go with :frown:
mehitabel
Ooh maybe Sidmouth (if i can find the funds) :s-smilie:

Only Kaustinen if I can find someone to go with :frown:

I wish I could go with you Mehitabel! It's just that that and the Chris Wood Workshop may clash..plus doing Kaustinen, Chris Wood Workshop and Folkworks all in the space of less than a month would prob be too much!

I'm seeing Chris Wood TOMORROW :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
:cool:
Mr. Orange
I wish I could go with you Mehitabel! It's just that that and the Chris Wood Workshop may clash..plus doing Kaustinen, Chris Wood Workshop and Folkworks all in the space of less than a month would prob be too much!

I'm seeing Chris Wood TOMORROW :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh you lucky thing I'm VERY jealous. Have never seen Chris Wood. But seen Andy Cutting about 10 or 12 times :biggrin: I might have to scrap Kaustinen if I have to pay for my own Glastonbury ticket (aaaaaaaaaah!) and I am now poor because my employers are in Cameroon for a month and I'm on unpaid holiday. We should definitely do Kaustinen next year!!! How fabulously amazing would that be!
Can't wait for July :cool:
Andy Cutting is at Sidmouth I think :smile: I haven't seen him, so looking forward to it :biggrin:
I'd like to go to Kaustinen, but i think that may be too much, what with Sidmouth and Shetland :p:
ukebert
Andy Cutting is at Sidmouth I think :smile: I haven't seen him, so looking forward to it :biggrin:

Andy Cutting is everywhere, man...I just LOVE him! To pieces! I hope he tutors at Folkie this year! Apparently (directly from the source) James Fagan isn't doing youth summer school this year (doing junior) - GUTTED! I really want to do band with song this year - wonder who the tutors will be?

Fingers xed for Becky Price doing accordion! And some more interesting, rebellious, foreign blood :biggrin:

I do like Sidmouth but it's expensive. And if I'm funding my own Glastonbury, everything else is out the window (save folkworks).
mehitabel
Andy Cutting is everywhere, man...I just LOVE him! To pieces! I hope he tutors at Folkie this year! Apparently (directly from the source) James Fagan isn't doing youth summer school this year (doing junior) - GUTTED! I really want to do band with song this year - wonder who the tutors will be?

Fingers xed for Becky Price doing accordion! And some more interesting, rebellious, foreign blood :biggrin:

I do like Sidmouth but it's expensive. And if I'm funding my own Glastonbury, everything else is out the window (save folkworks).

Sidmouth is expensive, my family won't pay for my season ticket any more, so I'm stewarding/setting up the week before and camping, which will get me a free ticket, and then living off my parents and grandpa's generosity and living in the rented cottage :rolleyes:

The cottage is in Branscombe though, not in Sidmouth itself, a couple of years back we had one right next to the Rugby Club :coma: That was a good year :p:
ukebert
Sidmouth is expensive, my family won't pay for my season ticket any more, so I'm stewarding/setting up the week before and camping, which will get me a free ticket, and then living off my parents and grandpa's generosity and living in the rented cottage :rolleyes:

The cottage is in Branscombe though, not in Sidmouth itself, a couple of years back we had one right next to the Rugby Club :coma: That was a good year :p:

The luxury :biggrin: I'm unfortunately too young for the stewarding/setting up jobs...but when I'm older I can imagine doing it full time *dreams*. My parents are always fire wardens at Glasto, they get to carry big bunches of keys around and get luxury camping! :mad: While I am stuck out in the mud with cold showers and hoi polloi...
mehitabel
The luxury :biggrin: I'm unfortunately too young for the stewarding/setting up jobs...but when I'm older I can imagine doing it full time *dreams*. My parents are always fire wardens at Glasto, they get to carry big bunches of keys around and get luxury camping! :mad: While I am stuck out in the mud with cold showers and hoi polloi...

It's the first year I've been eligable :smile: Looking forward to it :p:
I play piano & violin, too compose ^.^
May i join?
I have just invested in a melodeon (aka diatonic button accordian) :biggrin: It's all shiny :biggrin:
Llamaaa
I have just invested in a melodeon (aka diatonic button accordian) :biggrin: It's all shiny :biggrin:

Ooh ooh, make, model and tuning please!

I play D/G, Saltarelle Bouebe. It's an incredibly fun instrument to play, hope you enjoy it :smile:
ukebert
Ooh ooh, make, model and tuning please!

I play D/G, Saltarelle Bouebe. It's an incredibly fun instrument to play, hope you enjoy it :smile:

It's a Castagnari Hascy in D/G (two rows). It has such a lovely sound. I also rented a cheaper Serenellini Sofia to get the basics on, because I didn't want to risk damaging my lovely Castagnari :biggrin: I'm having fun with it so far, although it isn't as easy as I thought :p:
Llamaaa
It's a Castagnari Hascy in D/G (two rows). It has such a lovely sound. I also rented a cheaper Serenellini Sofia to get the basics on, because I didn't want to risk damaging my lovely Castagnari :biggrin: I'm having fun with it so far, although it isn't as easy as I thought :p:

Bloody hell, a cost-a-loti? Nice box :biggrin:

Although I prefer the slightly drier sound of the salterelle, which is just as much :ninja:

If you need any help with it at all then PM me, believe me, when you get the hang of it it's terrific fun :smile: Make sure you do scales, it really does help, especially on the second octaves, cause it changes. Interestingly crossing rows on the second octave is easier than playing it on one row. I still sometimes finger the wrong button on the second octave on the D row when not really thinking. The real thing that you have to do though, and I know it's difficult, is to get the hang of cross fingerings. Practice scales all on the pull and all on the push, runs, patterns, anything that you can possibly do to get fluent. You need to use cross fingerings because first of all it's much faster than going in and out all the time, and secondly it means you can use chords better. I assume your boxes have the same fingering? Some of them don't have the accidentals at the bottom, it's something to watch out for. I like having the accidentals, and that was a factor in getting the box that I did, not because I use G# at all that often, but because it gives you a D on the pull, which can be invaluable.

Anyway, I hope some of that's intelligable.

Quick Reply

Latest