Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ayesha2210: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully.

cuddles x: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully.

cuddles x: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully

If you guys want to rejoin, youll have to leave a society and reapply
    x

ReputationRep:
    alright?

i've played guitar for 11 years now and i'm looking to learn something new.
    weird chord progressions or something to mix up the standard A C G E kind of thing.
    i play rock/metal but not that crazy hardcore stuff.
    any ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metaljaymz80)
    alright?

i've played guitar for 11 years now and i'm looking to learn something new.
    weird chord progressions or something to mix up the standard A C G E kind of thing.
    i play rock/metal but not that crazy hardcore stuff.
    any ideas
    Your looking for different chord progressions? Have you learnt about 7ths, 9ths, sus's, etc? They will definitely increase your musical.. "vocabulary" I suppose, they can bring slight alterations to your sound, making it your own.

This is a good website to improve your understanding of these chords:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/chords/

I'm not sure if it tells you about chord sequences, but you can probably get a lot out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jc1990)
    Your looking for different chord progressions? Have you learnt about 7ths, 9ths, sus's, etc? They will definitely increase your musical.. "vocabulary" I suppose, they can bring slight alterations to your sound, making it your own.

This is a good website to improve your understanding of these chords:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/chords/

I'm not sure if it tells you about chord sequences, but you can probably get a lot out of it.
    nice one .
    i'll look into that and let you know.

ReputationRep:
    An old trick in the 70s which hung around for a long time afterwards was to take the notes of the minor pentatonic scale (a c d e g) and put a major chord on each one i.e. A C D E G. You tend to avoid the perfect cadences. so things like A C D A , or A G D A etc. Has a bit of a gospel feel like Joe Cockers version of "A Little Help From My Friends".

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Jimi Hendrix had that sort of an idea in "Wild Thing" where he uses the notes of an E maj Pentatonic. That's quite a cool basis to start new riffs, I like all the fancy sus chords and whatever, but the good ol' major chord is definitely more important, so make sure you know those metaljaymz!

ReputationRep:
    Yknow whats awesome?

Jazz. =)

ReputationRep:
    Man speaks the truth.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard very little Jazz. Can anyone help me out with that? I like listening to guitar virtuosos who combine Jazzy ideas with Fusion / Blues like Lee Ritenour and Guthrie Govan, and I love Frank Zappa, and I know some of his ideas bordered on Jazz - but as for other types, I'm next to clueless. Can someone recommend me something?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you like really. Certainly from a guitar perspective I'd check out Allan Holdsworth, a real defining force in fusion guitar. Early George Benson before he turned into smooth jazz.

Personally I like bebop, nice and fast but there's so much to get into with jazz, i'd suggest maybe checking out some of the internet radio sites and see what you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Depends what you like really. Certainly from a guitar perspective I'd check out Allan Holdsworth, a real defining force in fusion guitar. Early George Benson before he turned into smooth jazz.

Personally I like bebop, nice and fast but there's so much to get into with jazz, i'd suggest maybe checking out some of the internet radio sites and see what you like.
    Ok, will do so. Thanks man. Are there any particular sites which are better than others? Or shall I use last.fm's "Jazz" tag - Since that would be pretty diverse, and just work my way through there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I almost said last.fm in my post but then decided to leave it deliberately vague. For some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jc1990)
    I've heard very little Jazz. Can anyone help me out with that? I like listening to guitar virtuosos who combine Jazzy ideas with Fusion / Blues like Lee Ritenour and Guthrie Govan, and I love Frank Zappa, and I know some of his ideas bordered on Jazz - but as for other types, I'm next to clueless. Can someone recommend me something?
    Pat Metheny, Al Di Meola and Shawn Lane are well worth checking out, all mind blowing players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPTe...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    It all satrts with the blues.:cool: Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Sun Ra, John Lee Hooker, B. B. King and then the swingers: Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt. After that it all gets a bit hard for me .

ReputationRep:
    louis armstrong :suith:

ReputationRep:
    Django is pretty immense.

ReputationRep:
    If we're branching out from guitar, there are so many must-hears - Ellington, Basie, Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Louis Jordan, Louis Prima and on and on...

ReputationRep:
    Stephan Grapelli (sp?) is amazing, as is Django. I'm a big fan of Benny Goodman and some of the big band stuff as well though And Miles Davies and Thelonious Monk and Oscar Peterson, and Duke Ellington and and and :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Stephan Grapelli (sp?) is amazing, as is Django. I'm a big fan of Benny Goodman and some of the big band stuff as well though And Miles Davies and Thelonious Monk and Oscar Peterson, and Duke Ellington and and and :rolleyes:
    Oh man, that :rolleyes: guy is just unbelieveable.

Also Bill Evans. Chords me up nice and proper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    If you want the double whammy look for "Oscar Peterson Plays The Duke Ellington Songbook"
    In the meantime...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdKsJfZyws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipXlVNQ-n5w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inBaY7X3KTg

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.