Turn on thread page Beta

I'm a piss poor piano player.
    I did grades up to grade 4 and gave up after that because I hated them - I like playing the piano but I never intend to do anything with it other than enjoy playing in my spare time. Grades are overrated

But I'm still playing and learning new songs all the time.
    I doubt I know that much compared to most of you on here but can I join?

ReputationRep:
    The above post contains lies. The poster is actually an excellent piano player. So there.

You've only heard me play one piece :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominicJ)
    I've always been confused about that. People seem to tell me "oh, so you must have perfect pitch"....
    Does it come with musicianship? Or is it a freak thing that some people have? Or is it just after training your ears like mad?
    It's certainly not as simple as perfect pitch or not. I don't have a 'reference instrument', I don't see pitches as colours, I can only do instruments with regular harmonics, Sometimes I randomly find it really difficult to produce an A out of thin air (usually when asked to), I can tune my uke with no aids, except when in a concert, where I can't, etc. etc.

The other day I found out that my Grandfather met Vaughn Williams and my Great Grandmother was taught music by Holst when he was at St Pauls School

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    It's certainly not as simple as perfect pitch or not. I don't have a 'reference instrument', I don't see pitches as colours, I can only do instruments with regular harmonics, Sometimes I randomly find it really difficult to produce an A out of thin air (usually when asked to), I can tune my uke with no aids, except when in a concert, where I can't, etc. etc.

The other day I found out that my Grandfather met Vaughn Williams and my Great Grandmother was taught music by Holst when he was at St Pauls School
    Wow. Holst and Williams = Legendary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nk9230)
    Wow. Holst and Williams = Legendary.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    :yes:
    I love Mars. and Holst's Invocation for Cello, even thought its damn hard.

ReputationRep:
    hey all here at the musicians society.. I want to become a member.. I play guitar, piano and bass. How is everyone here?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I play both, as do as few other people around here. We have a woodwind society lurking around here somewhere!

Aha! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=558261

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiosity, has anyone here played any of the Hanson Symphonies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    helloooo anyone else here who plays the flute or saxophone?
    I play flute tooooo

(Although not much at the minute, I managed about 10 minutes before giving up with how crap I sound! )

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.youtube.com/metal105

i'm not great guitar player, and not to most peoples taste. but if you want to check it out heres my youtube link.

ReputationRep:
    I had one of those wonder moments tonight, where you seem to be at one with your instrument. I would just imagine melodies and they would appear without the brain interfering with the fingers. I think I am getting to grips with the melodeon. To a lesser extent with the uke as well. And I now have an urge to pick up my clarinet again.

ReputationRep:
    I had one of those wonder moments tonight, where you seem to be at one with your instrument. I would just imagine melodies and they would appear without the brain interfering with the fingers. I think I am getting to grips with the melodeon. To a lesser extent with the uke as well. And I now have an urge to pick up my clarinet again.
    It's a great feeling when you really connect with an instrument like that. I'm starting to find that in the music production side of things now, I can get things sounding exactly how I want without having to fiddle about for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    It's a great feeling when you really connect with an instrument like that. I'm starting to find that in the music production side of things now, I can get things sounding exactly how I want without having to fiddle about for ages.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    The following errors arose while processing your join requests:

LogiVI: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully.

vincentwang: User has too many society memberships

Requests from these users have been deleted, any other requests have been processed successfully.

vincentwang: User has too many society memberships

shinhans31: User has too many society memberships

ReputationRep:
    I've needed to learn enough clarinet in the last week to bluff a 3rd clari part in the concert band. I'm convinced this is harder than 2nd as it's all over the break whereas they stay in the bottom end of the upper register. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    The Break?! Shock horror :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    helloooo anyone else here who plays the flute or saxophone?
    i play flute!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who plays the flute as loud as a trumpet.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.